California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Thinking of moving from SoCal need advice

Old 03-28-2004, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of moving from SoCal need advice

Well the subject says it all. To give you some background why and what not...

Im 21 and really have no idea what I want to do in life. I go to school now, but don't really have a focus. Lately alot of personal things that have happened that have made me pretty upset, and want to leave. There are two places I've thought of moving to. New York, or Ireland. I know both places are completely different but I have reasons behind them. First New York. I have family there that I stay in contact with all the time. I've spoke with some relatives there and they can get me a job at my uncles investment firm. I don't know what it would be, but its a job, plus they would let me live with them. I figure I could work and go to school, like I am doing now. Now for Ireland. I have family there also. Those people I am not in contact with as much though. From talks, I should be able to live with them, and my uncles back there own a few pubs so they might be able to hook me up with a job.

I am only thinking of moving for maybe a year, but if I like it stay longer.

I would like to know if others have been in a similar situation, and if so what did they do. Also if you have been to either, preferably both places, what are you thoughts of them to live in? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Kevin
Old 03-28-2004, 07:39 PM

I have lived all over the US and nothing beats soCal, however I left for 10 years or so before I realized this. Ireland sounds like it would be a fun adventure for 6mos to a year, but not really for life.

NY, I have had 2-3 friends move there and stay, but winter sucks and summer gets super hot. It is a great town. If I were to leave socal, I would considder San Fran or miami beach too. Either would be fun, you can always join the IRA And remember, you can do anything for a year, you only live once, so make it count!!! I say go for it Ireland, for a year, then Newyork!!!
MAtt
Old 03-28-2004, 11:30 PM

If you want to take a break from life, go to Ireland. It'll probably be more personally/emotionally enriching than to repeat "the daily grind" in a different state/locale.

If you want to "reset" your career, then go to NY. The new job will be refreshing and stable while you feel out your other options. The pace will be faster so the year will pass quickly.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:34 PM
viK

Dam i'm jealous, i wish i had family in other places with jobs ready for me, then i would move. NY would be nice, that would be my choice
Old 03-29-2004, 08:36 AM

Where in Ireland are you planning on going? If its Dublin, I think you'll really enjoy yourself there. Tons of pubs and young people in Dublin. I recently just moved back to LA from the Netherlands where I lived/work for the past year. I think it's a great experience for any young person to live and work abroad. It'll give you perspective on how great the US is and at the same time you'll appreciate what other cultures have to offer. Another plus is all the countries that you can visit within a 1-2 hour flight away. Europe has some great budget airlines with great fares. The one out of Ireland is AerLingus. If you need some travel tips within Europe, let me know. Good luck with your decision, and whatever you do, have fun!!!!

You can always do the US anytime.

I agree with Pierceman though, its good to be back in SoCal.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say "New York" as if that defines the location. If I said "California" I could mean LA or Bakersfield or Fresno or... You get the idea.

I've lived in Manhattan and near Syracuse (central NY). My mom still lives in Queens. I don't recommend NYC to anyone who's not either a tourist or who makes a living in art/stock market/theatre. That city is too crowded, expensive, and dirty. You almost can't own a car (expensive, broken into or stolen, horrible roads).
Old 03-29-2004, 06:07 PM

Being somewhere else won't really cure anything, but it can distract you for a while. If you can afford to travel a bit do it. If there is a slight possibility you can cut loose from the workforce DO IT NOW and travel. Being 'in the moment' travelling, especially if you have no specific end to your trip, is one of the coolest things you can do to clear your head. I lived in my van for 6 months travelling in the west and it was certainly the best 6 months of my life in many ways.
I used to work in NYC and hated it - you'd expect it to be fun , but for me, at the end of a day all I wanted to do was get the furk outa that crowded shythole.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:41 PM

At your age and for someone in your situation, I would definitely travel somewhere. Preferably another country. If you have some savings, I'm sure you could survive a while until u find a job.

As for the investment firm in New York, I would not do it. Most of those investment bankers come from IV league colleges and work 12-15 hr days.....

Move to hawaii man. thats what i would do
Old 03-29-2004, 08:43 PM

Go to Ireland and experience a different way of living. Do it while your young and you still can.

As an aside, almost all of my friends that moved away from So Cal eventually ended up moving back. There really is no place like southern california.