TAE KWON DO VS SHAOLIN

Old 06-16-2006, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a soon to be stick fight in the parking lot...I'll bring beer
Old 06-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by smegmatic,Jun 16 2006, 01:32 PM
if you wanna talk practical, any martial arts can apply because all involve subduing the attaker as quickly and effortlessly as possible
Yes but all the other martial arts or styles have limits. Jiu Jitsu has no striking, TKD involves barely any punching, boxing involves no kicking, muay thai involves no ground game, etc, etc.

JKD allows you and forces you to use every tool imaginable. I know of no other martial art that is taught this way. What martial art or style involves eye jabs and throat/groin strikes? There might be one out there, but I havnt heard of it.

Nobody has yet to show me a martial art more effective than JKD. Im still waiting.
Old 06-16-2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by vonHultgren,Jun 16 2006, 01:33 PM
Sounds like a soon to be stick fight in the parking lot...I'll bring beer
bring some chimpanzees into the mix and weve got ourselves a real fight
Old 06-16-2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by trivium,Jun 16 2006, 01:48 PM
Yes but all the other martial arts or styles have limits. Jiu Jitsu has no striking, TKD involves barely any punching, boxing involves no kicking, muay thai involves no ground game, etc, etc.

JKD allows you and forces you to use every tool imaginable. I know of no other martial art that is taught this way. What martial art or style involves eye jabs and throat/groin strikes? There might be one out there, but I havnt heard of it.

Nobody has yet to show me a martial art more effective than JKD. Im still waiting.
what about chinese kenpo? it uses all of the moves that youve mentioned
Old 06-16-2006, 03:23 PM
X12

Joeltron, you've been watching too many fighting shows on the American television. Like rap, mainstream rap is crap and so is the mainstream televised fighting shows. Don't even get me started with UFC. "Ultimate Fighting Championship" my ass. Most of the fights eventually lead to two people grappling/holding each other and trying to submit the opponent with some type of hold. Honestly, if I wanted to see a real fight with more action I would go watch a bunch of kids street fight because it's pretty much the same. The video posted in this section about the kung fu guy knocking the gangster out is more thrilling and exciting than UFC.

Now Jeet Kune Do is awesome. Invented my Bruce Lee, if I'm not mistaken, it I believe will overcome Muay Thai also. A Jeet Kune Do fighter like the Shaolin Monk would evade a flying knee or kick and counter attack within a split second. Sure if a Muay Thai fighter were to land a kick it would probably be devastating but Jeet Kune Do is about evading the attack before the attack even reaches its destination while at the same time counter attacking.

-X12
Old 06-16-2006, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by X12,Jun 16 2006, 04:23 PM
Joeltron, you've been watching too many fighting shows on the American television. Like rap, mainstream rap is crap and so is the mainstream televised fighting shows. Don't even get me started with UFC. "Ultimate Fighting Championship" my ass. Most of the fights eventually lead to two people grappling/holding each other and trying to submit the opponent with some type of hold. Honestly, if I wanted to see a real fight with more action I would go watch a bunch of kids street fight because it's pretty much the same. The video posted in this section about the kung fu guy knocking the gangster out is more thrilling and exciting than UFC.
I dont even watch american television, nor do I even listen to mainstream crap. I used UFC as an example, Pride>UFC any day.

And just as I thought, Trivium...I figured you didn't even practice any style. But you can talk a lot of shit about everything else. If I were to get into a fight, I wouldn't bow, or get into a solitary stance, but what I would do is take what I know from TKD, and beat the other person up. Just because I studied TKD, doesn't mean I'm not going to punch someone in the throat or kick them in the groin. You fight to win, and thats that. This argument is dead, come back after you get experience in some form of martial art. And no, going to the gym, striking a bag, and calling it JKD or Muay Thai doesn't count.

You probably think that I don't even like Bruce Lee, but in fact, he is my idol, ever since I can remember. That doesn't mean I should go learn JKD though, I've got too much respect for him and his art to try to learn it from someone half assing it.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:02 PM

Interestingly enough, it is the wrestlers that seem to dominate the current MMA matches......an older sport than any of the martial arts (think ancient Greece etc.)......but you can also have a poor wrestler....a poor martial artist etc. etc.....

My vote is on Dirty Harry. :^)

R (yah....BB in Shotokan....and wrestling background)...
Old 06-16-2006, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PointBlank187,Jun 16 2006, 02:56 AM
dude, those opinions are so bias. okay, put a brazilian jiu jitsui fighter in the mix. if he just lays on the ground the whole fight until u come in, the stand up guy is screwed. there are different fighting styles, and almost any one of them can win, just depends on training, and the people in the fight. one person can be superior on any given day. i dont care how strong someone is, everyone is mortal. and every style has its strenths and weaknesses. I feel tae kwon do is a good sport. martial art, i feel its inferior due to all the kicking. unless u get a good kick in and keep space, it's pretty hard to use against another style other than a fighter of the same style. same goes for boxing, great sport, not exactly the best against other styles. but the rest of the styles put up against one another is like rock, paper, scissors.
From my experience, most fights end up on the floor.

If I wasn't so lazy and wanted to to learn something it would be jiu jitsui & muay thai.

Last fight I was in the guy was a wrestler, he took me down about 20 times, but couldn't do anything with me, he still got rocked (street fight)

I just grab my 9mm or 40 cal, I pretty much always win the argument
Old 06-16-2006, 06:47 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=joeLTron,Jun 16 2006, 04:31 PM] I dont even watch american television, nor do I even listen to mainstream crap.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by chairmnofthboard,Jun 16 2006, 06:44 PM
I just grab my 9mm or 40 cal, I pretty much always win the argument
AKA "the one hitter quitter"

Quick Reply: TAE KWON DO VS SHAOLIN