California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Suicide to save the family?

Old 09-25-2008 | 03:33 PM

now they have to grow up fatherless.....
could of put the pride on the side, lost the house and live like bums for a few years.
try to rebuild it.
would of taught the kids some things about life.
how difficult things can get and then how to overcome them.

now all they will remember is how tough the economy got and how their father killed himself.

its true, $750,000 isnt much.... so sad

like sal stated, if i were the wife, i couldnt live with myself if i were handed the money under those circumstances but i guess she has no choice since he would have died in vain...
Old 09-25-2008 | 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by GideonP,Sep 25 2008, 03:30 PM
Sorry but that guy was a moron IMO.

I would much rather be living in a shithole or in the streets with my brother, mother and father than lose one of them to suicide but live in a home.

Money can ALWAYS be made... PERIOD.
im with u brother.
Old 09-25-2008 | 03:40 PM

What if..., God forbid, and the mom had an accident ?
Who are the kids going to grow up with ?
Just not worth it once again !
750k after house being paid off lets say 3-4 years left with some money.
Two kids suck up lots 'o' cash !
Old 09-25-2008 | 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Back-cracker,Sep 25 2008, 03:53 PM
A client of mine, just came in and told me her son's coach committed suicide. Here's the catch. He has a AAA policy, (which I do too) that states that after 2 years of coverage, suicides will pay out.

Now, from our understanding, his house is being forclosed, and the family ran out of money. Wife, 9 yr old and 6 yr old are the survior.

Its the same guy that you saw on the news on Sunday, and jumped in front of the train.

Suicide to save the family? The policy is going to pay out 750,000.00.

What are your thoughts?

BC
Obviously can't watch socal news out here, but was this in San Diego? My buddy was coming from Diego back to the OC by train, and it was held up for over 3 hours and all they told him and the other passengers was that there was an incident involving a trespasser on the tracks
Old 09-25-2008 | 03:52 PM

that is pretty lame. it pisses me off when people talk about how depressed they are and they dont want to live. is it bad that i am not sympethetic to those people at all? i guess i just hate quitters.
One of my friends committed suicide a few months back, and I have seen numerous patients with major depression.

if we're assuming that he's clinically depressed and not simply making a decision for his family, keep in mind that he's a changed man. While I saw this with lots of patients, I was even more surprised to see such a change in a friend I knew for over 15 years. She went from being vivavious, caring of others, highly social with great skills to seeing no way out, didn't want to get out of bed, and find life overwhelming when there clearly was a way out. Depression changes the person - literally. The brain chemistry is changed (less serotonin in the synaptic gap, a very important neurotransmitter that helps regulate emotion). A parallel would be like if someone injured their back and is stuck in bed, and we're amazed that this previously very able person is so weak that they can't go to work. We give that person grace and understand that they are indeed trying to heal and get better. The same MAY go for this person.
Old 09-25-2008 | 03:53 PM

btw I'm not condoning suicide, nor do I think he did the right thing - but I think I can understand to some small degree why he made his decision.
Old 09-25-2008 | 03:59 PM

That's really sad. My perspective has always been that no matter how bad things get you still have your life and your family. Life is just too precious. There are things that I would die for but money isn't one of them. This guy must have reasoned that he was dying to "save" the lives of his wife and kids. In reality he probably took the one thing that meant the most to them ... him.
Old 09-25-2008 | 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by S2WINKS,Sep 25 2008, 04:40 PM
Two kids suck up lots 'o' cash !
Old 09-25-2008 | 04:56 PM
Member (Premium)

Let's get to the real point......

BC is back.
Old 09-25-2008 | 04:57 PM

I read through this entire thread and I must agree with some of you that no matter how bad times get, there is always a way out. I do not believe his reason for killing himself was wise. His children will grow up without their original father and the wife will most likely marry someone else in order to make ends meet when the $750K is gone. Hopefully, she'll be wise and put some of that money in a high interest CD account.

Quick Reply: Suicide to save the family?