California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Stargate Physics

Old 05-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stargate Physics

So a friend of mine here at work proposed a question to me that I shall now share with you...

If you were to sneeze at the exact moment you stepped thru the stargate would you:

A. Be knocked back out of it

B. Be knocked into a different dimension due the disturbance

C. Not be affected

D. Arrive at the other side before your sneeze

E. Other ... please explain

So, let's discuss.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you have too much time on your hands! get back to work! lol
Old 05-21-2008, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

per justin: you need to stop watching too much battlestar gallactica. lol!
Old 05-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sinji,May 21 2008, 12:26 PM
per justin: you need to stop watching too much battlestar gallactica. lol!

... Matt figured it out in no time... what does that say?
Old 05-21-2008, 02:03 PM

Old 05-21-2008, 02:14 PM

WWW.WHATANERD.ORG
Old 05-21-2008, 02:16 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by lazyjet,May 21 2008, 02:14 PM

Old 05-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ESCALVANTE,May 21 2008, 02:16 PM

Old 05-21-2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by leets,May 21 2008, 12:14 PM
So a friend of mine here at work proposed a question to me that I shall now share with you...

If you were to sneeze at the exact moment you stepped thru the stargate would you:

A. Be knocked back out of it

B. Be knocked into a different dimension due the disturbance

C. Not be affected

D. Arrive at the other side before your sneeze

E. Other ... please explain

So, let's discuss.
Here's my take on it.

When stepping into the stargate, regardless of your entry speed, you seem to be shot out at the same output velocity. Namely, your worm-hole travel speed slows down to a specific pre-determined velocity with which any object is ejected from the stargate

Now. During travel through the stargate, it appears that any action you take will neither speed you up nor slow you down. You can't rocket propel yourself or hit the brakes to speed up or slow down your arrival on the other end.

In the absense of the gate, your sneeze would propel forward at whatever speed sneezes normally travel. However, upon entering the stargate, your sneeze immediately gets "locked in" at the speed with which standard stargate travel occurs. As stated before, the entry speed doesn't effect stargate travel speed.

You, likewise, instantly hit stargate movement speed, travelling immediately behind your own sneeze through the wormhole. Unlike a sneeze in standard space-time, you and your sneeze are now moving at the exact same speed.

Upon exiting the stargate, your sneeze immediately encounters atmospheric resistance and slows down greatly. It is, after all, lightweight vapor. Being that your mass is greater than that of your sneezes, your inertia is many many magnitudes greater. Air resistance will have a minimal effect in slowing YOU down once you exit the stargate.

So you have your sneeze being ejected from the stargate and beind suspended briefly in the air directly outside of the gate. Then you have you flying out of the gate as soon as that happens and hoping your feet/tumble/roll will do a good job of slowing you down. Not soon enough though, as you'll be greeted with the nice, moist vapor of your own sneeze... right in your own face...
Old 05-21-2008, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by dirtypwntang,May 21 2008, 03:06 PM
Here's my take on it.

When stepping into the stargate, regardless of your entry speed, you seem to be shot out at the same output velocity. Namely, your worm-hole travel speed slows down to a specific pre-determined velocity with which any object is ejected from the stargate

Now. During travel through the stargate, it appears that any action you take will neither speed you up nor slow you down. You can't rocket propel yourself or hit the brakes to speed up or slow down your arrival on the other end.

In the absense of the gate, your sneeze would propel forward at whatever speed sneezed normally travel. However, upon entering the stargate, your sneeze immediately gets "locked in" at the speed with which standard stargate travel occurs. As stated before, the entry speed doesn't effect stargate travel speed.

You, likewise, instantly hit stargate movement speed, travelling immediately behind your own sneeze through the wormhole. Unlike a sneeze in standard space-time, you and your sneeze are now moving at the exact same speed.

Upon exiting the stargate, your sneeze immediately encounters atmospheric resistance and slows down greatly. It is, after all, lightweight vapor. Being that your mass is greater than that of your sneezes, your inertia is many many magnitudes greater. Air resistance will have a minimal effect in slowing YOU down once you exit the stargate.

So you have your sneeze being ejected from the stargate and beind suspended briefly in the air directly outside of the gate. Then you have you flying out of the gate as soon as that happens and hoping your feet/tumble/roll will do a good job of slowing you down. Not soon enough though, as you'll be greeted with the nice, moist vapor of your own sneeze... right in your own face...
thats actually what I was gonna say in a heck of a lot more words.

Youll come out of the stargate slamming into your own sneeze

Quick Reply: Stargate Physics