California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Speeding ticket question ...

Old 09-29-2003, 04:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding ticket question ...

Have a question for some experienced drivers out there that has handled multiple speeding tickets already . I've decided to ask for a reduction for my speeding ticket, question is.. do I have to wait till my court date? Or can I show up early for it? Will I be talking to the judge for this? will the cop be there too?

Got a 80mph ticket on a 65 and was hoping to keep the fine low and can hopefully get probation or traffic school.
Old 09-29-2003, 07:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can show up early if it's in their system. It takes at least a week or two after you get the ticket before it's in the system. You can find out by calling the court or asking the clerk.

When's your court date? When did you get the ticket?
Old 09-29-2003, 08:23 AM
ak1

80mph on a 65mph...bs

Everyone does 80mph on the freeways these days! Maybe they should raise the speed limit to 70mph, afterall technology has much improved the safety of today's automobiles.

or maybe not...too many dumb drivers that might feel pressured. Why cant be be like Germany?
Old 09-29-2003, 08:33 AM

Best thing to do is to fill out a "Trial by Written Declaration" form and send in your case that way. You can draft a letter pleading your case and stating your innocence (i.e. going with the flow of traffic, or it was a safe speed given the conditions, etc.), and at the end, put a clause in that says something like, "If the court finds me guilt, I wish for them to consider reducing the fine and granting a traffic school option."

Basically, what will then happen is that the cop has to submit some paperwork as well. If he fails to do so, your case will be dismissed and you are off the hook. Simple as that - don't have to waste time to show up at the court, etc.

If you are found guilty, they usually reduce your fine and give you traffic school. I had gotten docked for 98 in a 65 zone and had my fine cut in half from $350 to $170 even though I was guilty, and they even gave me the option of traffic school.

And if you want to fight it further after that, you can request a "Trial de Novo," which is your second chance of winning the case by showing up in court for a trial, and hope that the officer does not show up.

Disclaimer: These are just options that I have used time and time again in the past with great success. Being that I am not a lawyer or a person trained in the field of contesting traffic violations, I am not responsible for whether or not these means work for you, and am offering this as just a personal opinion/testimonial of what worked for ME.

With that said, good luck, and keep me posted. PM me if you have any questions or if you need a copy of the forms, etc. -
Old 09-29-2003, 08:35 AM

God dang Rom, is this another ticket recently (w/in 2 weeks) or the one you told me about?! Wish I could offer some advice but usually judge or cop won't listen to JACK! Take traffic school and not drive for the next 18 months?!!? You can give me your car and I can help you put in some...maintenance miles!!!
Old 09-29-2003, 08:36 AM

i think you have to wait for them to send you the letter in the mail. i called once before to ask about a ticket ive gotten and they said that when they do get it on file, thats when they send you the notice in the mail.

after they send the letter, you should have an appear by/pay by date on the notice. you can show up anytime before that.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:45 PM

No, its the same freaking one. just that i'm gonna be gone for a month vacation and I want to settle this before I leave. Dooood we need to setup a run before I go. And dont be late this time

[QUOTE]Originally posted by davidq37
God dang Rom, is this another ticket recently (w/in 2 weeks) or the one you told me about?!
Old 09-29-2003, 09:47 PM

I got the ticket last Sept 8, court date is nov 5. This is a looooong time if u ask me, they prolly have thousands of tickets to process.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OC S2K
You can show up early if it's in their system.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:48 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try ticketassassin.com

It's the way that gives you higher odds as well as a second chance if the first doesn't work. It's all legal too.

It's how I suspect Luwin1026 got the advice he gave you.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:53 PM

Have heard of stories that this site doesn't work very well. Overused is the term I got from most drivers..

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2000raj
try ticketassassin.com

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket question ...