California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Socal Neighborhoods

Old 03-23-2004, 05:31 PM
SSK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by racer chick
thanks guys.. yeah i didn't really give much info.. my bad.
i'm actually moving down for school. not sure which one yet, i applied to Pepperdine, Loyola, USC and Whittier... I'm going to be working with a law firm located in Hermosa Beach (which i've heard is pretty nice)...
nope, no kids.. just me and my baby (the S... )
i was just kinda curious about the areas down there. THanks all for your feedback!!! and at this point, safest is my primary concern.
As everyone has said, living in the south bay (Manhattan/Hermosa/Redondo Beach, palos verdes) is fantastic, but is expensive. Of those, Palos Verdes would be top of my list ('course I have a family, don't know how it is for singles). If I worked in Hermosa Beach like you instead of West LA, I'd buy a house in the Palos Verdes area immediately, without a second thought... I love that area.

One thing you should note is the commute to law school. Pepperdine is way way way north, up past Malibu. It's quite a commute there from the south bay. Loyola is pretty convenient, Whittier's probably ok. USC is not a great commute since you'd be mixed in with people going to/from downtown. Note that living in Palos verdes will aggravate any commute.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:49 AM

Hermosa Beach is nice...and it's expensive. I live in Redondo Beach, just South of Hermosa. About $50k less per house and a lot quieter than Hermosa.

I agree that your commute should be one of the primary concerns. When I moved here I got the sticker shock, but with LA traffic, it was well worth getting a 4 mile commute to work!
Old 03-24-2004, 09:04 AM

honestly...a lot of those places are really expensive (rent wise) i live in sierra del oro (hills of gold, come on...with a name like this, what do you expect?). Its a community on the the west part of corona, honestly...its almost like a signal hill deal. almost like a city within a city, but really...we're just a community...for now. beautiful landscaping, even a fire station with a brand new clock tower. definetly worth taking a look. i'm not saying MOVE TO CORONA, cuz i dont like any other part of corona. but the SDO is great. also, if you got some money to spend...some new houses are being built here, at the top of the hills, the community is called sierra peak. houses start @ 800k and range up to 1.2 million i believe.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:11 AM

Hmm, from my experience, the beach cities to anywhere north of LAX commute wise is nasty.

My wife works in Century City, it takes her anywhere from 45mins on a good day, i.e. a traffic accident somewhere south of where we live that cut the traffic down, to 1.5hrs. She averages around an hour and ten mins.

I on the other hand work out in Buena Park, East on the 91 freeway, it's 22 miles one way and takes me 25 to 35 mins at 9am, 45mins between 7:30 to 8:30. Against traffic see!

PV used to take me 45 mins monday to thursday and 1 hour on Fridays. That said, as you drive in to PV with the roof down, traffic noise drops away, the heavy scent of flowers in the air, stress and tension just melt away and it's worth the extra mile or two.

When all said and done though, PV is 15 to 20 mins from any freeway which can seem to take forever sometimes, especially after a road trip out of town.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xmartin
Hermosa Beach is nice...and it's expensive.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:18 AM

I will be joining you guys in S.Redondo from Hermosa very soon.........
Old 03-24-2004, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by DragonHeart
I will be joining you guys in S.Redondo from Hermosa very soon.........
Hey DragonHeart!

Just couldn't take any more bars 'n bikinis, eh? Welcome to the vintage side of the fence!

What color is your s? I keep seeing a berlina with the top up on 190th heading down to Hermosa, zat you? There has been a top-up '04 silverstone tooling around Torrance too... and then there is the silverstone '04 I saw on Hermosa ave earlier this week... Nobody ever owned up to them on the sightings thread, so I figured it wasn't someone on the board. If you see one around its me:
Old 03-24-2004, 01:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oatnet
Old 03-24-2004, 02:06 PM

Are those custom-made speakers that go inside the roll hoops?
Old 03-24-2004, 02:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OverBooster

Quick Reply: Socal Neighborhoods