California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

A sobbering reminder to drive safely.

Old 10-06-2003, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A sobbering reminder to drive safely.

Anyone who knows me or has been on this board a while knows that I am adamently against street racing. Having said that, I post this link in the hopes that you don't take my thoughts for your safety and the safety of those around you as preachy but instead, caring.

Life is short and should be enjoyed but it is also precious and shouldn't be wasted. We are very fortunate to have tons of venues in S. CA for autocrossing, drag racing, or tracking our cars. Let's all band together as brothers and sisters in this community to hope that a tragedy like this doesn't befall our group.

street racing an E46M3 leads to a tragic death by fire
Old 10-06-2003, 10:28 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Very tragic. Santiago can be very dangerous, especially Cook's Canyon with the reverse Cork Screw Like.

BC
Old 10-06-2003, 10:57 AM

they went left heading east at cooks to the fast section, not right where it's slow and heads to rancho santa margarita.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:11 PM

Old 10-06-2003, 12:19 PM
ak1

[QUOTE]Here is my perception of what happened:

I was in Scott's car (the guy with the E46 328i) and we were going about 60 and when we turn that corner, we see a mountain of flames. I was saying to myself please dont let it be one of the M's. when we got closer to the scene, i saw the M rim, and I saw that it was the Immola Red M3. I jetted out of the car, and started running towards the car, I hear some guy screaming for help, then when I get closer to the car, I hear three pops so I backed off. then the screaming from James ended. I knew that his life was over. there was nothing that anyone could do.

One of the guys is another M3 say his best friend burn to death, it wasnt a pretty site. There were a total of 4 E46 M3's , 1 burned down, 1 passed them up, and 2 stayed behind and helped out.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:40 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Back-cracker
Very tragic.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not just erratic driving. How about RACING in the canyons? When we all go out on runs we stay single-file and re-arrange for speed after each stop.

Stay safe!
Old 10-06-2003, 01:54 PM

All three were under the age of 21, too.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say, if you've never been to the particular run before, always group yourself in at least a group or two slower than "you think you are capable of."

I've been to Santiago several times on my bike and a couple of times in my car. But the S2000 is a totally different thing for me. I have not yet really pushed my S2000 since it is so new. I'll be the first to say it, I'm going in the slow group. *Checking my ego at the door.* Besides, if you feel you are more than comfortable in your "speed" group, you can always move to the faster group when everyone regroups. Just my 2 cents...
Old 10-06-2003, 02:24 PM

I drove throu santiago last week and to me it seems like an easy road to get in trouble on.

Since its not technical, you are ussualy driving pretty fast but some of the turns are blind. This guy probably got suprised by a turn and took it way 2 hot.

I have learned my lesson in the canyons adn now i never go quick unless i have been on the road multiple times before.

Quick Reply: A sobbering reminder to drive safely.