California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

So im trying to save on Gas

Old 06-25-2008, 01:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=buggy1129,Jun 24 2008, 02:42 PM] Wow you trusted your life on $500.00 gear .
Old 06-25-2008, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember looking at First Gear's Kilimanjaro jacket and thinking it'd make an excellent budget choice, though BMW makes (distributes) a similar 'adventure' design for WAY more bucks that's so nifty it makes me drool.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,Jun 25 2008, 01:24 PM
What is safer about that Shoei Vs. a HJC for $110. ?????

or on that note an Xpeed for $99. ?
Isn't the same reason some people buy brand name parts for their S, so the person has the peace of mind that the part will work the ways its suppose to.

Like your turbo, I assume you didn't buy that from some no name brand company in ebay.

Or even tires people buy Bridgestones instead some name brand "Diamond" or "Wanli."

What about wheels some people always clown on Rota's that they are replicate of the better brand. The same reason why people buy Volks instead of whatever brand that replicates it.

The main difference is that people always thinks "you get what you pay for" so you get a $100 helmet then people expect it work like $100 helment. If that $100 helmet proven that it works like them $700 helmets, I guess that person is one of the few believe due to and experience or two.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,Jun 25 2008, 01:24 PM
What is safer about that Shoei Vs. a HJC for $110. ?????

or on that note an Xpeed for $99. ?
As per this report, they are all just as safe. Pick something that's comfortable with the features you need.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by roguegeek,Jun 25 2008, 02:30 PM
As per this report, they are all just as safe. Pick something that's comfortable with the features you need.
if thats true, then your saying Nitto NTO1 compares to Toyo R888 are the same, people just tend to pay higher for a different brand tires, is tha correct? Or is there is difference between those two tires, like the overall tire design.

What about gas?? What brand of gas do you put in your bike or S?? The cheaper gas is Arco do you put that, or would you rather pay extra for a Chevron, Mobil or Shell knowing that its formulated different or even better, so that you have the peace of mind that you put a good quality gas in your vehicle.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:40 PM

I'm not going to click that link... cause I know what it is by how you stated it.

I have been to Korea in our factory. I know the Arai rep of 20 years. I know the original Shoei employees and designers.

Let me make it crystal clear..... THAT REPORT IS BS. PERIOD. If you want a looooong explanation I'll do one in person at a meet including demonstrations where I will show destroyed by myself... 4 helmets using SNELL testing methods to prove my theory and back it with data.

Now, I only asked the question to hear the response. Since I am part of the R&D team here I consider myself knowledgeable first hand.

To me the best way to rate a SNELL approved helmet is by the G-force rating it is able to achieve at a given speed. Some Snell helmets barely pass and some pass by a larger margin. Sadly it is a MAJOR lawsuit risk to publish these numbers or claim to be "safer" officially in these tests. SNELL only does PASS/FAIL. I wish that wasn't true.

D.O.T. only helmets are INCREDIBLY unsafe. I have tested them myself first hand. I would NEVER EVER wear one. You would seriously all be jaw dropped to see how horribly they have failed even the most simple tests. It is truly scary to witness. So that report is simply false. They do have SOME true points however they are leaving out other variables and overall they are simply WRONG.

Now, even though I am an Xpeed employee I wear a Shoei when racing motorcycles. Arai are better and worse in some ways however they do not fit me as well and the ventilation is inferior on the models that near fit me and in most models all together. When I ride around casually or I am going to take my car to a AutoX event I'll wear an Xpeed with plenty of confidence. In fact our helmets beat out some other FAR more expensive helmets when it comes to safety in my opinion. HOWEVER, I know for a fact that Shoei has some advantages to it in crash data and when speeds of over 150mph are going to be hit regularly throughout the day or I'm doing double jumps of 90 feet on a motocross bike, there's only one thing I want on my head.

If you really want to get Tech. I'm alllllllll over it. If you'd like specific info on certain testing I would love to assist.

I will make this comment. The #1 most important thing in selecting a helmet is proper fit. Most buy 1 to 2 sizes too large, and the wrong shape fitting the crown. without that done correctly, you can forget all the testing.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:43 PM

Congrats to the morons who wrote that causing future deaths!!!!

Oh, I'm not sure I should disclose the Z1R production deal. Let me say that we...... know their product better then they do

While they scored amazing in the test. I know they are junk and far less safe. That right there when I first read this made me laugh to see them do well. What a joke. I have one here in the office behind me at the moment!
Old 06-25-2008, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,Jun 25 2008, 02:40 PM
I'm not going to click that link... cause I know what it is by how you stated it.

I have been to Korea in our factory. I know the Arai rep of 20 years. I know the original Shoei employees and designers.

Let me make it crystal clear..... THAT REPORT IS BS. PERIOD. If you want a looooong explanation I'll do one in person at a meet including demonstrations where I will show destroyed by myself... 4 helmets using SNELL testing methods to prove my theory and back it with data.

Now, I only asked the question to hear the response. Since I am part of the R&D team here I consider myself knowledgeable first hand.

To me the best way to rate a SNELL approved helmet is by the G-force rating it is able to achieve at a given speed. Some Snell helmets barely pass and some pass by a larger margin. Sadly it is a MAJOR lawsuit risk to publish these numbers or claim to be "safer" officially in these tests. SNELL only does PASS/FAIL. I wish that wasn't true.

D.O.T. only helmets are INCREDIBLY unsafe. I have tested them myself first hand. I would NEVER EVER wear one. You would seriously all be jaw dropped to see how horribly they have failed even the most simple tests. It is truly scary to witness. So that report is simply false. They do have SOME true points however they are leaving out other variables and overall they are simply WRONG.

Now, even though I am an Xpeed employee I wear a Shoei when racing motorcycles. Arai are better and worse in some ways however they do not fit me as well and the ventilation is inferior on the models that near fit me and in most models all together. When I ride around casually or I am going to take my car to a AutoX event I'll wear an Xpeed with plenty of confidence. In fact our helmets beat out some other FAR more expensive helmets when it comes to safety in my opinion. HOWEVER, I know for a fact that Shoei has some advantages to it in crash data and when speeds of over 150mph are going to be hit regularly throughout the day or I'm doing double jumps of 90 feet on a motocross bike, there's only one thing I want on my head.

If you really want to get Tech. I'm alllllllll over it. If you'd like specific info on certain testing I would love to assist.

I will make this comment. The #1 most important thing in selecting a helmet is proper fit. Most buy 1 to 2 sizes too large, and the wrong shape fitting the crown. without that done correctly, you can forget all the testing.
Thank you!
Old 06-25-2008, 02:46 PM

no prob, I only asked the question before to prompt for input Sorry to use you and everyone like that Part of my job in market research I guess!

In other news....guess who just sent an email to be a sponsor and be able to sell Direct to S2Ki
Old 06-25-2008, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by roguegeek,Jun 25 2008, 02:30 PM
I'm sorry, but you can say all you want but the fact of the matter is "you get what you pay for." That is why there are brands that replicates and try to make the same type of product but cheaper. When you try to replicate a product and sell it cheaper, that only means one thing; someone tried to keep the production cost down by cutting some corners. Thats what I think, and thats what I believe. When it comes to motorcycle gear, I don't to buy a product knowing a company is trying to replicate a better brand for cheaper price by cutting corners to keep cost down but make the product good enough to pass DOT tests.

Quick Reply: So im trying to save on Gas