California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

So im trying to save on Gas

Old 06-24-2008, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Penforhire,Jun 22 2008, 07:36 PM] On the general topic, just be aware that bikes are not often cheaper to operate than cars.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:44 PM

I did say "not often." Did you miss that?

You get $200 valve adjusts? That's cheap unless you've got a BMW boxer motor.

How do you figure six tire changes? I see an ten or more in 60K miles. Some will get changed sooner for punctures that most would patch and not care about in a car.

What MPG are you getting on your bike and what did you assume for the Civic?

FI bikes still need throttle body syncing. Guess you're not syncing yours? No steering head bearing adjust? Are you air/oil cooled (no coolant change)? Sounds liek another case of not doing the maintenance. I got no problem there but you can ignore car maintenance too if you go that way!

The S2K is not an econobox. $5K insurance on a Civic? Dude you need to shop around! If you were that high a risk on a Civic your bike would be $750 PER YEAR. By the way, I'm an old guy with a clean driving record, living in the same region, and 5 years of liability-only insurance costs me more than $750.

Good car tires last well over 50K miles and we don't care so much about traction. A nut who works for me and commutes long distances got 90K miles on his last set of tires!

Nobody said bikes weren't fast fun, and can't lane split. And I want to encourage new riders. Just not for the wrong reasons.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Jun 23 2008, 08:40 PM
Say Roguegeek, do you do your own maintenance? I assume the OP will not.

How many valve adjustments does a typical bike require in 24K miles? Three? Four?

How many tires? Every 4K-6K mi for decent sport-touring tires. Less than 4K for soft sport tires. Full-on touring tire? Not enough traction for me!

How many throttle body or carb synchings? Spark plugs? Oil changes? Brake fluid changes? Coolant flushes? Air filters? Steering head bearing adjustments? Chassis lubings?

You either are doing your own wrenching, not doing the necessary maintenance, or don't pay attention to your costs. Doing crack? Not really. A 35 MPG econobox (that also uses regular-grade gas) IS cheaper to operate.
- I do my own simple maintenance. Oil changes and other types of lubrication like lines and chains.
- On my 600RR, you need to do a manufacturer suggested valve adjustment at 14k miles. I had the dealer do that and it was pretty cheap. Not sure when the next one is, but I'll check the manual soon.
- Tires, I'll go through a set on a track day, but during normal commuting, my Michelin Pilot Power 2CT will last 8k miles. I don't ride hard at all when not on a track on in the canyons. It's about $300 for me to have a set installed.
- For all of the other normal things, I do an oil change every 2k miles, but manufacturer suggests every 4k miles. I just like having good oil all of the time because it makes shifting smoother. Lubricate chain every 500 miles. Pretty simple. Everything else, I'm not sure how many times I've adjusted or changed, but it was never expensive or hard. Again, everything is done religiously on manufacturer's schedule or better.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ToeKneeC,Jun 24 2008, 10:35 AM
do not agree.

the statement should be: depending on WHAT you ride, your age, your driving history, and how long you plan on riding, bikes "may be" more expensive than cars.
Completely agree.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:42 PM

[QUOTE=ToeKneeC,Jun 24 2008, 10:35 AM]
Old 06-24-2008, 02:58 PM

Opinions vary. I don't have any knock against cheap DOT-legal helmets.

More expensive helmets tend to be lighter and better ventilated, sometimes easier to swap shields. But there are tests showing a $100 DOT-legal full-face works just as well versus impact as the fancy brands, sometimes better. But Bell's helmet slogan still sounds good ("If you have a $10 head wear a $10 helmet").

As long as I'm ranting about the fancy brands, my last two Arai Quantums had quality issues (side pods & rubber strips falling off). Track day buddies had the same issues. Sure they fix 'em for free but the hassle is still there. Since then my much-cheaper KBC and Nolan both deliver higher build quality.

Leathers (or decent textile) are the only clothing difficult to find cheap. Try Newenough.com
Old 06-24-2008, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Jun 24 2008, 02:58 PM
Opinions vary. I don't have any knock against cheap DOT-legal helmets.

More expensive helmets tend to be lighter and better ventilated, sometimes easier to swap shields. But there are tests showing a $100 DOT-legal full-face works just as well versus impact as the fancy brands, sometimes better. But Bell's helmet slogan still sounds good ("If you have a $10 head wear a $10 helmet").

As long as I'm ranting about the fancy brands, my last two Arai Quantums had quality issues (side pods & rubber strips falling off). Track day buddies had the same issues. Sure they fix 'em for free but the hassle is still there. Since then my much-cheaper KBC and Nolan both deliver higher build quality.

Leathers (or decent textile) are the only clothing difficult to find cheap. Try Newenough.com
I would never buy my gear online. I have to able to try it on, feel how it fits, quality of how it was made, etc.

Plus as its my preference, I believe in what Bells said, and most riders I know if you think your head is worth $10.00 then go buy a $10.00 helmet. As long you have a peace of mind riding in it.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by buggy1129,Jun 24 2008, 03:05 PM
I would never buy my gear online. I have to able to try it on, feel how it fits, quality of how it was made, etc.

Plus as its my preference, I believe in what Bells said, and most riders I know if you think your head is worth $10.00 then go buy a $10.00 helmet. As long you have a peace of mind riding in it.
try it on, get your size, order on line. That's what I did.

I used newenough.com as well.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:28 PM

[QUOTE=buggy1129,Jun 24 2008, 02:42 PM]Wow you trusted your life on $500.00 gear .
Old 06-24-2008, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hero,Jun 24 2008, 03:34 PM
try it on, get your size, order on line. That's what I did.

I used newenough.com as well.
Agree. Online prices are great. I use newenough every once in a while as well. Also check out Terra Power Sports.

Quick Reply: So im trying to save on Gas