California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Snorkelling La Jolla Cove in San Diego

Old 04-29-2009, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snorkelling La Jolla Cove in San Diego

Meetspot - La Jolla Cove. Sunday May 17th, 10:00 am
we are not swimming at 10:00 am, it's to go over some basics with you *anyone else can pitch in their experiences as well*, 1) safety and 2) a brief explanation of the habitat we will be exploring, so you guys know what to look for, and it'll make your dive more interesting)

this is not scuba diving, although if you are certified, you are more than welcome to join. We are not responsible for your dive buddy. please bring a competent partner if you are.

La Jolla Cove is located at 1100 Coast Boulevard. From the north, take I-5 to La Jolla Village Drive, west. Turn left on Torrey Pines Road and follow it to Prospect Street and turn right. Bear right on Coast Boulevard and look for signs. From the south, take I-5 north to Ardath Road, which will turn into Torrey Pines Road. Follow Torrey Pines Road to Prospect Street and turn right. Stay right on Coast Boulevard and look for signs.

Please list your name, and location, so we can arrange carpool/drive groups!

1) Dj Elixur (marina del rey - I would like to carpool with someone *need to keep mileage down* and I can drive down as far as Redondo Beach)
2) 05TurboS2K *Driving from Corona and happy to pick up anyone along the way* Taking the Jeep, won't be bringing dive gear just snorkle.
3) Vilstar - Depending on if the +1 wants to go, I might have a seat open to pick someone up, we shall see
4)S2Koupe - Tyson. Leaving from Torrance. I have my own gear and wetsuit, probably driving my CRX tho. see if I can get Teddy to come.
5) BoostTed - If im in town and where do I rent gear from?
6)

Snorkelling - in english! the basic concept and equipment you will need to have fun

1) mask & tube (through which you breathe) *it comes separate*
2) fins *find a pair that fits comfortably, if you are a first timer, go to your local dive store and they can help you get fitted for all that you need, including wet suit.
3) WET SUIT. the water temp averages around 56 to 58 at the surface , (meaning, its colder as you descend, and if we are lucky to find kelp beds, it may be warmer) we are in the pacific, not the bahamas. the thicker, the better, and get a full body wetsuit!
*full rental, probably get away with 20 or 30 bucks*
(ladies, and men if you arent shy.. if you have a thin body suit, or stockings, it makes it easier to slide on/off the wetsuit, esp when ur wet. just a hint if you're not afraid of looking tutti frutti)

4. bring big trash bags, u don't want ur s2k smelling like a diatom bloom.

5) bring snacks and water, you will be hungry, and you will be thirsty. gatorade, anything with electrolytes is good, and a sandwhich never hurts.

SAFETY! as quoted from San Deigo Lifeguard Website. Read, esp first timers

Beach & Water Safety
Tragic water accidents happen quickly. The most common reason for aquatic mishaps is a lack of safety knowledge. San Diego lifeguards recommend the following safety tips:

Learn to swim
Swim near a lifeguard
Never swim alone
Supervise children closely, even when lifeguards are present
Don't rely on floation devices, such as rafts, you may lose them in the water
If caught in a rip current, swim sideways until free, don't swim against the current's pull
Alcohol and swimming don't mix
Protect your head, neck, and spine -- don't dive into unfamiliar waters -- feet first, first time
If you are in trouble, call or wave for help
Follow regulations and lifeguard directions
Swim parallel to shore if you wish to swim long distances
Scuba dive only if trained and certified -- and within the limits of your training
No glass containers at the beach -- broken glass and bare feet don't mix
No beach fires except in designated areas -- fire residue and superheated sand can severely burn bare feet -- use a barbeque that is elevated off the sand
Report hazardous conditions to lifeguards or other beach management personnel
Stay clear of coastal bluffs, they can collapse and cause injury
Never turn your back to the ocean -- you may be swept off coastal bluffs or tide pool areas and into the water by waves that can come without warning
Rip Currents

Rip currents are the most threatening natural hazard along our coast. They pull victims away from the beach. The United States Lifesaving Association has found that 80% of the rescues effected by ocean lifeguards involve saving those caught in rip currents.

A rip current is a seaward moving current that circulates water back to sea after it is pushed ashore by waves. Each wave accumulates water on shore creating seaward pressure. This pressure is released in an area with the least amount of resistance which is usually the deepest point along the ocean floor. Rip currents also exist in areas where the strength of the waves are weakened by objects such as rock jetties, piers, natural reefs, and even large groups of bathers. Rip currents often look like muddy rivers flowing away from shore.

Rip currents are sometimes mistakenly called "rip tides" or "undertows." These are misnomers. Rip currents are not directly associated with tides and they do not pull people under.

Try to avoid swimming where rip currents are present, but if you become caught in a one, swim parallel to the shore until the pull stops and then swim back to shore. If you are unable to return to the beach, tread water and wave for lifeguard assistance.

Stay at least 100 feet away from piers and jetties. Rip currents often exist along the side of fixed objects in the water.

Be aware of ocean conditions. Lifeguards are trained to identify potential hazards. Ask a lifeguard about the conditions before entering the water.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

damn i might be consider this, but i have no wet suit, do places rent as these as well?
Old 04-30-2009, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dj Elixur,Apr 29 2009, 11:12 PM
Ricky you better come, im asking a day off work so u can come swim with us! for the batrays..

I have soccer the next two Saturdays in the morning I won't be able to make those unfortunately. If the date does get changed or moved to a Sunday (excluding Mother's day which is...the 10th?) then let me know and I will definitely be down
Old 04-30-2009, 06:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1) Dj Elixur (marina del rey - I would like to carpool with someone *need to keep mileage down* and I can drive down as far as Redondo Beach)
2) 05TurboS2K *Driving from Corona and happy to pick up anyone along the way* Taking the Jeep, won't be bringing dive gear just snorkle.
3)
4)
Old 04-30-2009, 09:40 AM

Can I bring a speargun?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:17 AM

quick question, how far is this from sfv?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by JLEEzAP2,Apr 30 2009, 09:40 AM
Can I bring a speargun?
if you have a permit to fish.... assuming that's what you mean, otherwise i'm a fan of SOMEONE having a speergun in general.

If your fishing without permit...don't leave the water standing next to me
Old 04-30-2009, 12:29 PM

I got a fishing license! haha More of a H&L guy anyway

Let me know when you get your business going again.. Need a hookup for some saltwater stuff! You know anywhere that have rare fish? (Chevron Tang, Hawaiian flame wrasse, etc for a decent price)
Old 04-30-2009, 12:36 PM

This sounds extremely fun. Too bad i'm poor. Or, more so too bad i waste all my money on computer crap.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by JLEEzAP2,Apr 30 2009, 12:29 PM
I got a fishing license! haha More of a H&L guy anyway

Let me know when you get your business going again.. Need a hookup for some saltwater stuff! You know anywhere that have rare fish? (Chevron Tang, Hawaiian flame wrasse, etc for a decent price)
I can still get everything....

PM me what you're looking for.

Quick Reply: Snorkelling La Jolla Cove in San Diego