California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

San Diego Driving Spots?

Old 06-11-2002, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default San Diego Driving Spots?

Ok San Diego guys where are some of your favorite spots for the following:

1) Drifting - Gillman onramp to 5 South, nice right hander tail out left, with lotsa room for spinout, and surface is great for sliding. Also good for turning left into it in first

2) Donuts/180s - scoped out a new parking lot right off Balboa, heading towards 15, industrial area, surface looks like it can't hurt anything

3) Carving/Handling - Mt. Soledad, whether you take it from the base from PB, right of the 5 before you get to PB, or take it from La Jolla shores, some great uphill acceleration and twisties. Gotta watch it in the morning, the cops troll for tickets. They are mostly down at the base at night.

Lookout for me in SD, Silverstone/Red, stock
Old 06-11-2002, 09:40 PM
jzr

My two favorite spots for messing around are the west parking lot at Qualcomm and the skidpad at the Streets of Willow.

I must be getting old to be the one saying this, but why not take such activity to the track or autocross? Sure, there are tons of places out on the street where you can probably get away with such behavior, but it's not worth the consequences. There's at least one or two autocross or track events around here each month where you can safely slide the car around while learning some constructive things about the car and your driving while you're at it.

One of the best drives in San Diego is out past Julian, down the Banner Grade out into the desert. Try a search on "Julian Run" or "S2000 rollbars in action"

Originally posted by synapse
Lookout for me in SD, Silverstone/Red, stock
I'll be looking out, all right.

Sorry if this comes across harsh, I don't mean it to be. I just don't want to see another San Diegan become a statistic.

Happy and safe motoring - hope to see you at the autocross sometime!
Old 06-12-2002, 11:14 PM

I'm not trying to imply carelessness, I'm just trying to get a gauge for places in San Diego that others appreciate driving through. Not necessarily endorsing reckless driving, but there's nothing wrong with redlining through nice empty sections at 1 am.
Old 06-13-2002, 05:47 AM

I like Palomar Mt. The S seems made for that road.

All of the back roads, 76/78, Sunrise Highway.

I do agree that autocross and track days are the best place to let your wild oats sow, but realistically, a person who buys an S is going to want to take on the twisties if the conditions are right.

That being said, I don't consider non-backcountry roads (city streets) anything but caution zones.