California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

The saga of my spacers in place for 12,780 Miles

Old 02-20-2002, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The saga of my spacers in place for 12,780 Miles

I opened this thread to let anyone interested follow the progression of this situation as I take up the challenge of making Honda take responsibility for their dealer leaving in my spring spacers for 12,780 miles.

Although it was a big joke when my fellow drivers pointed out I had them still fitted, after the fun the anger set in as I realized the potential results of this lack of service from the dealer who sold me this car (Jones Honda, Lancaster, PA).

Honda have arranged for a full inspection of the car at my choice of dealer. I chose Ball Honda after hearing good things about them on the board. I spoke with the service manager - Pete hayes - who was very cool and understanding about the situation. He is having his main s2k guy - Shawn - do the inspection and has promised a full report.

Car goes in on Friday, I'll keep you all updated as this progresses. Apparently there is an issue with cars coming without shipping holes plugged and the air dams installed - I don't know what these are or how to check them so I'd appreciate any advice.

Joel
Old 02-20-2002, 11:59 AM

So, do you want the pics from the spacer fiasco?
Old 02-20-2002, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by griffindodd
Apparently there is an issue with cars coming without shipping holes plugged and the air dams installed - I don't know what these are or how to check them so I'd appreciate any advice.
There are four holes - one behind each support point where you jack up the car to change tires. These holes should be plugged with rubber pieces. You can easily feel where the holes are with your fingers.

By "air dams", I assume you mean the plastic flaps in front of each wheel well. Just look underneath the car. If they are there, you can't miss them.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:01 PM

I may need to ask you for them at some point, if you want to send them to me then please use this email account...

griffindodd2@cox.net

Thanks - Thanks Cal for the info

Joel
Old 02-20-2002, 01:25 PM

Keep us posted on what you find out. I found out about the spring spacers from a fellow S2ki member I ran into at Diedrich's. I had already put 1200 miles on my car all with the spacers in. I do have to say it is a much better ride without them considering the shocks actually get to travel now! I went back to dealer and had them remove the spacers and also requested they put an entry in my file stating that they forgot to remove them and would be liable for any damages resulting in their error. I strongly feel that Honda should make this a recall issue due to so many horror stories of people not even knowing about the spacers when they purchase the car. The ironic thing with mine is that they took the tag off the car that tells the service dept about the spacers and how to remove them!!

Good luck!
Old 02-20-2002, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by blckndvoodoo
I strongly feel that Honda should make this a recall issue due to so many horror stories of people not even knowing about the spacers when they purchase the car.
Ever seen 'Fight Club' - listen to Edward Norton's description on whether a car company decides to do a recall or not - that's pretty much the bones of it.

Joel
Old 02-20-2002, 04:00 PM

Let us know what Honda decides. There are a few other people on the board that have had their spring spacers still in place after a few thousand miles.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:29 PM

Griff a quick thought. Do you think that the spring spacers were agrivating the situation of the jumpy throttle at lower speeds. I remeber that you were complaining that you were having this trouble, has it happened since you took off the spacers.
Old 02-20-2002, 04:44 PM

Absolutely - the throttle is much easier to control now - of course every little bump and dip at low speeds with the 'rock-hard' suspension was enough to jarr my foot on the pedal.

I think my cat could be a Honda dealer, it seems that most of them don't seem to have much need for intelligence, lets hope that Ball Honda can prove me wrong.

Joel
Old 02-21-2002, 04:58 PM

Okay kids - just got home from dropping off the S at Ball Honda, the guys seemed cool enough, met with the head mechanic there who just kept re-assuring me that he had been there for 16 years.

I was kinda suspicious about what they are actually going to check over, the guy kept wanting to tell me that there was not going to be anything wrong with it before they had even driven it away - I tried to point out my concern of future problems from the excessive vibration the car had been subjected to, at which point, he took the opportunity to tell me - he'd been there 16 years

Anyway, they arranged for a loaner in the form of a super slick Toyota Corrolla which feels like driving a milk cart and was drenched in so much coconut air freshener that on my arrival home my wife told me I smelled like a Pina Colada

So now I'm going to have to go 24 full hours without the comforting knowledge that my S is locked up safe and sound in the basement. We'll see what happens now.

Joel

Quick Reply: The saga of my spacers in place for 12,780 Miles