California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

s2000 owners please help...is s2000 worth it to buy or not?

Old 04-27-2002, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2000 owners please help...is s2000 worth it to buy or not?

hi, i'm a recent college grad making average income (but less than $40,000)...which won't be enough to afford an s2000 (but i still want one). also, i'm not very interested in speed as i try to drive 70mphs on cruise control whenever possible...i also don't know how to drive stick and have only known how to drive auto for the past 6 years... but i really want an s2000. i've always wanted a two seater... i have my choice between a cheap lil miata, or an s2000 for an "affordable" two seater roadster.... based on these facts, can anybody help me in deciding if i should get one or should wait till i have a REAL mid-life crisis? i also don't know very much about cars so all these torque/sparks/suspension stuff is very foreign to me....also nobody is going to be helping me out with the payments....

should i still get one??? does anybody know if they will ever come out with an auto transmission version in the future? is it easy to take care of an s2000 without knowing too much about cars (and also not know a lot of people who know about cars). also i hate the sun so but i want a convertible really bad (with the option of a hard-top). and if you live in southern california, have you encountered a lot of vandalism?

if you are able to answer, please help.... i know these are very subjective questions and it will depend on each person, but that's why i want to ask owners of s2000 that are in a similar situation as i am... ps im not male...which explains why i don't know much about cars...
Old 04-27-2002, 08:54 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

1st if you can afford the payments of an S2000, the the Miata is a very nice car and about 7-10K less. Go with what you can handle. I think there are other things that you will want to do, so think before spending all you money on a car. The S2000 is, I think a lot better car than the Miata as a true sports car, but like I said you pay for that. If I could not afford the S2000, I would look at the Miata.

Don't wait until mid-life, enjoy it while you can. I am 44 and wanted to wait, then my dad became ill and I thought I don't want to wait until I am too old to enjoy the car. Picking mine up on Saturday, if all goes right.

I really don't think that the S2000 will ever have an automatic in it. Once you learn to drive a manual transmission car, I think you may like it. It is not that hard.

As for people breaking into the car, don't leave things out for others to see. I drive a convertible everyday. I put things away in the trunk when I go into someplace and can not watch the car. I have had a convertible (7 different cars)since I was 18 and have had the top rip twice, most times I don't lock the doors, because they are soooo easy to get into.

Lastly, go with what you like. Try to meet up with some S2000 people in you area and see what the car is really like. Then do the same with the Miata and then decide.

Good Luck
Old 04-27-2002, 09:25 PM

First off, how tall are you? I would say a Miata is the ideal car for you, but if you're 5'10" or taller, you wouldn't be very comfy in one.

Other than that, the Miata is available in automatic, more affordable than the S2000 (sticker price, insurance, parts, service, and gasoline are all more expensive for the S2k) and has an available hardtop. The Miata is a very fun and practical car to own (well, except for trunkspace) and if you decide the convertible thing isn't for you, you won't be stuck with a $30,000 car you don't want.

HOWEVER...The S2000 is a prettier car (my opinion, but I've found that in the past my opinion has always been right ) that gets a lot more attention, if that's your kind of thing. Learning to drive a stick isn't to terribly painful, and once you learn, you'll wonder how you ever settled for an automatic. And if you get an S2000 you'll have a car with one of the most rewarding manual transmissions in the world (don't hold your breath for an automatic S2k...) It's still a Honda, so Honda reliability is still there and it'll run forever without much more than regular service (but so will a Miata.) It also has an available hardtop.

As far as not knowing much about cars, this site is full of nice folks who are more than willing to offer advice or help whenever you need it. So you really DO know some people who know about cars just by being a member here.

I hope I didn't just confuse you with all that. I hope I helped a little with your decision. Good luck with whichever car you choose.

By the way, I make less than 40k and I have no problems with payments (or rent or insurance or my other car)

Good luck again
Dave
Old 04-28-2002, 10:47 PM

If I had to do it over again, I'd get an Integra Type-R.

If I had to drive auto, get the new MR2 Spyder w/ clutchless sequential shifter.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:07 AM

Originally posted by minboost

If I had to drive auto, get the new MR2 Spyder w/ clutchless sequential shifter.
Ditto
Old 04-29-2002, 05:12 AM

You should learn to drive stick, even if you next car is automatic. You never know when it comes in handy. I'd go for the Miata or used S2K.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:24 AM

Call me a romantic, but getting a sportscar with an automatic is sacriligious. Try learning on a friend's/family's manual transmission. I must admit, you do sound a bit confused though. I had a '73 Porsche 914 when I was twenty and always wanted a true roadster ever since. Finally, I decided to go for it. I searched the internet for about a year and decided on the S2000. I am totally thrilled with my choice. It's the next best thing to a race car. You also said you like to put the car on cruise control. Personally, I don't know why this car has it. I have never used mine and don't plan to. One must DRIVE a sportscar not just guide it. To end this, Consumer Reports rated the S2000 tops over the MR2 Spyder, Porsche Boxster, BMW Z3, and the Audi TT rosdster. I can't argue with that.
Old 04-29-2002, 01:01 PM

get the s2000, get the s2000, get the s2000 ....

[whispering voices, getting louder ....]
Old 04-29-2002, 01:13 PM

Received 1,284 Likes on 989 Posts

If I were you, I'd go with a puke green Geo Metro. If you must have an S2000, DaRKCrow can help you out with the payments.
Old 04-29-2002, 01:34 PM

i just wanted to say thanks for everybody that replied. i think there's no way i'm going to get a miata...i just don't want to settle for that car...i might seriously look into a mr2 spyder but i really trust hondas (as i've only had plain and boring honda accords all my driving life)...

do you guys lease or own? i've heard leasing is more expensive but then again you can exchange cars (?) in like two or three years.... ahhhhhhhh i don't know . i wish just i could win the lottery at least enough for a down payment.

Quick Reply: s2000 owners please help...is s2000 worth it to buy or not?