California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Replica or Authentic?

Old 08-15-2008, 12:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leester01,Aug 15 2008, 01:34 PM
Must resist commenting on this thread
Zip it you I know you to be one of the biggest whores out there, but you know my stand on this and I know yours. Remember how dissapointed you were at some of YOUR parts If I'm dissapointed in my part, it's only $100 or so dollars of dissapointment, which usually goes away
Old 08-15-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Back-cracker,Aug 14 2008, 11:56 PM
2000.00 ring is 1/4-1/3 of a ct. That's pretty small. I don't think your g/f will say yes to you
If thats the basis for marriage, dump her anyway. hopefully marriage is based on the people and not a ring. The ring only symbolizes the action, not the relationship.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -GunShow-,Aug 15 2008, 01:31 PM
I agree to spending money on quality parts, but when it comes to safety equipment like brakes, or performance parts, it's best not to go cheap I'm speaking from just an aestetic standpoint. It'll break or get old anyways, I can't justify that. If you race, ASM has strength AND maaaad weight reduction. Something others just can't copy
i prefer cwest
Old 08-15-2008, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i prefer stock
Old 08-15-2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by ae86pwr,Aug 15 2008, 01:49 PM
i prefer stock
Now THAT'S quality
Old 08-15-2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by -GunShow-,Aug 15 2008, 01:01 PM
Now THAT'S quality
It depends.. Sometimes having more of the same thing for less will be more rewarding than having one quality experience Fred....
Old 08-15-2008, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by dwnshft & xlr8,Aug 15 2008, 02:10 PM
It depends.. Sometimes having more of the same thing for less will be more rewarding than having one quality experience Fred....
I'm a replica whore. I need my money elsewhere, and simply can't justify investing into my car that much. Plus... Most of the girls wont care as long as it looks nice I do it for the ladies
Old 08-15-2008, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by -GunShow-,Aug 15 2008, 12:38 PM
Zip it you I know you to be one of the biggest whores out there, but you know my stand on this and I know yours. Remember how dissapointed you were at some of YOUR parts If I'm dissapointed in my part, it's only $100 or so dollars of dissapointment, which usually goes away
True true
Whether you go for authentic JDM or replica parts not all are created equal
Good point on safety too Fred
Don't f around when it somes to buying harnesses,brakes,or suspension.
Funny story from when the last turbo gen Mitsubishi Eclipse first came out
A guy bought a set of coilovers from a local company who had their coilovers manufactured in China.
When I saw the coilovers being changed out I noticed the oem Eclipse dampers were thick,had huge spring seats,and really wide springs.
The new coilover set was awefully small and skinny and had spring about the width of a motorcycle spring.
After installed the guy left to shop and punched the gas on the fwy.
He drove into a fast sloping dip so the car's suspension compressed,rebounded, and bounced him right into the freeway divider wall
Old 08-15-2008, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by leester01,Aug 15 2008, 02:19 PM
True true
Whether you go for authentic JDM or replica parts not all are created equal
Good point on safety too Fred
Don't f around when it somes to buying harnesses,brakes,or suspension.
Funny story from when the last turbo gen Mitsubishi Eclipse first came out
A guy bought a set of coilovers from a local company who had their coilovers manufactured in China.
When I saw the coilovers being changed out I noticed the oem Eclipse dampers were thick,had huge spring seats,and really wide springs.
The new coilover set was awefully small and skinny and had spring about the width of a motorcycle spring.
After installed the guy left to shop and punched the gas on the fwy.
He drove into a fast sloping dip so the car's suspension compressed,rebounded, and bounced him right into the freeway divider wall
We BOTH know of that story We wont speak of the manufacturer, but that sucks to hop on a bumb and have the car jump sideways into the divider It's common sense which things should not be cheapened, and that's anything that's supposed to save your life. Oh man, but that story sucked
Old 08-15-2008, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by assalbert,Aug 15 2008, 01:55 AM
if your car is clean and has legit parts that people know are real such as jdm wheels, bbk(except rotora), some exhausts etc... the likelyhood that someone will think other parts on your car are fake is slim, imo.
I wish that were the case. I have had many people that thought my lip was a copy (if I break the thing again the next one will be one of Gunshows ) probably because I painted it black instead of color matching it . I even had some one ask me if my MF10's were authentic . I really dont care what others think, but it is kind of annoying .

Personally I would prefer to by authentic parts (though I do have a Mugen replica intake) and would consider non authentic front bumper if there was one I liked that fit as well as OEM and was not made of fiberglass (I daily drive my car and want one that can take a beating like OEM can).

For the most part I dont care for most of the replica manufactures (Rota, Drag, Seibon, VIS etc.) becuase they are making them strictly to profit of the design while not trying to improve the part what so ever .

On the other hand Gunshow makes great replicas that fit as good as the authentics and he even tries to improve on weakpoints. I would not hesitate to consider something he is working on before spending the $$$ on the authentic, I have also seen pretty good fitment from EAuto, other than were the fender meets the bumper which seems to be an issue with most of the aftermarket bumpers (authentic & replica).

Just my .02 cents

BTW: I agree with all who said people with fakes should not try to pass them off as real... Thats pathetic