California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Real friends dont let their friends drive a s2

Old 11-02-2005, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most or all of the insurance info is correct.

If he makes a claim on his insurance, he is looking at a 1 point at fault accident at most. Your insurance does not need to be involved. If they do, they will just front you the money and then subrogate against his insurance. Your rates will not be affected. As rcantu said - you are not at fault, they can only raise your rates for at fault tickets or accidents that put points on your record. If anyones rates go up for not at fault accidents or comprehensive claims, go raise hell. These should not affect your rates.

I admire your willingness to help your buddy out. Like most people here, and probably yourself, my car is my baby. Even a close friend doing that kind of damage would be hard to not wack his head off.

You deserve to have your car 'indemnified' back to its original state before he drove it. If he doesnt have the money, dont give him months or years to pay it back. Unless the guy has a horrible driving record - go through his insurance. You never know what else is damaged. Let the INS co pay for all that. He may suffer raised prem's for 3 years, but I guarantee it will total less than all your damages in the end.

Good Luck.

Old 11-02-2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by r_duff,Nov 2 2005, 05:38 PM
HOLD UP! I dont think your friends insurance will cover the damages at all. It will all go under your insuance. Unless I'm gravely mistaken, you're insuring a CAR, not a DRIVER... therefore, the insurance follows the CAR, not the driver.

If you're ins. company is cool, they will still not mark its as 'at fualt' and will not increase your premiums, but you should still be responsible for your deductible (which u should collect from your friend).

This talk about Farmers INS. calling YOUR ins. might just mean that farmers is filing the claim on your behalf, and Farmers will jack your freinds rates while your insuance pays for damages.
I think you are partly correct on this. But his insurance company will want FULL Details on the driver of the car. Once they find out the driver had insurance, they should subrogate against his carrier for the damages. In fact I am sure of it. NO insurance company wants to pay out if they can get reimbursed by someone else. In this case they can. (Unless you do your buddy a favor and dont let his insurance know, or say the driver had no insurance)

99% of insurance carriers cover the DRIVER in any car. Your car is normally the only car covered because it is the only car listed on the policy. But normally you are covered under your policy in any car. That is why buying the stupid insurance on a rent a car is dumb. Your standard policy should cover that, unless you have mercury or other few carriers that exclude other cars or other drivers. (that is how mercury and others have cheap rates- worse coverage)

So should you decide to go the insurance route, his insurance will pay out and give him a point on his record. Your insurance will not be affected.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by r_duff,Nov 2 2005, 05:38 PM
HOLD UP! I dont think your friends insurance will cover the damages at all. It will all go under your insuance. Unless I'm gravely mistaken, you're insuring a CAR, not a DRIVER... therefore, the insurance follows the CAR, not the driver.

If you're ins. company is cool, they will still not mark its as 'at fualt' and will not increase your premiums, but you should still be responsible for your deductible (which u should collect from your friend).

This talk about Farmers INS. calling YOUR ins. might just mean that farmers is filing the claim on your behalf, and Farmers will jack your freinds rates while your insuance pays for damages.
If you were insuring just a car, and not a driver, then age/experience/location/tickets wouldnt matter... you see what i mean..

just tryin to help...

(insurance broker)
Old 11-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

You gave him "permission" to drive, its under your insurance. Will your insurance go up? You better believe it.

Just seeing the pics, 1 rim, 1 bumper, 1 control arm, 1 shock, 1 spring, 1 hub, 1 bearing, 1, wheel alig, 1 wheel balance, 1 axle, 1 radiator (if needed), 1-2 Paint area, 1 clear coat, 1 wax. This will run you easy to the 5K-6K.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Back-cracker,Nov 2 2005, 06:46 PM
You gave him "permission" to drive, its under your insurance. Will your insurance go up? You better believe it.

Just seeing the pics, 1 rim, 1 bumper, 1 control arm, 1 shock, 1 spring, 1 hub, 1 bearing, 1, wheel alig, 1 wheel balance, 1 axle, 1 radiator (if needed), 1-2 Paint area, 1 clear coat, 1 wax. This will run you easy to the 5K-6K.
back-cracker -> no offense dude, but unless you sell insurance, stick to your day job.

If the driver has his own insurance policy, it will pay out primary. That is how insurance works. Unless the owner tells his insurance that the driver was uninsured, but even then they will investigate. Like I said in prior post, NO insurance company likes to pay out. They will find a way to get someone else to pay. In this case - they will find the driver's insurance company and subrogate for all damages. The driver will get 1 point on his record, his rates will go up accordingly on his next renewal. Hope he has an annual policy, not a 6mos policy.

The owner will not suffer anything to his driving record or his insurance policy.

Fact.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Community Organizer

[QUOTE=SD_S2K,Nov 2 2005, 07:34 PM]
Old 11-02-2005, 06:45 PM

I learned nothing at Mike Russ Insurance Schools so I have nothing to add
Old 11-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Community Organizer

Property damage liability
Old 11-02-2005, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Back-cracker,Nov 2 2005, 07:37 PM
I work with the insurance all day and night. His insurance will ask the friend "did the owner let you drive the car?" He answers "yes" and its game over. I deal with insurance, medpay, attorneys all night long buddy. So have some respect.

Don't mouth off when your 29 days old.

BC
WTF does me being 29 days old on this car board have to do with anything? Do you want some special medal because you have been here longer? Has nothing to do with the topic at hand. For all you know I am the president of State Farm Auto Insurance division. You show some respect. I dont care if you are a moderator, advisor, back cracker, doctor, whatever. You dont know me.

I could also give two chits about you working with medpay and attorneys, or what you found on the internet. I have worked in auto insurance exclusively, and still do partly.

I guess the true answers will come if and when our poster and his friend go to their insurance.

I cant wait. For his sake, I hope it all works out in both their best interests.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Back-cracker,Nov 2 2005, 07:51 PM
It's a hard case, and the adjusters will work at it. If I drove someones car, and crashed it, I'd pay for it. No questions asked. Rule of thumb, don't let anyone drive unless you understand the conseq.
I agree about paying if it were my friend.

The problem here is the driver cant afford $5-6 grand. Insurance will pay out.

Driver's insurance is primary, permission or not.

I still want to know why the owner didnt accompany the driver. Letting someone drive your car for the first time is one thing, but drive it without you present is another.

Quick Reply: Real friends dont let their friends drive a s2