California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Real friends dont let their friends drive a s2

Old 11-01-2005, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does your friend have insurance? He only hit a curb and did that much damage? If he doesnt have insurance, I wonder if uninsured motorist would cover it but probably not. But if your friend knew how to drive a stick and he does have insurance, his insurance should pay for the damage to your car. He can just say his foot came off the clutch too fast or something. Sorry it happened to you. This is just the reason I dont let my kids or even my husband drive my car.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:37 PM

Yes he does have insurance, Farmers, and he said that he called them and they said that his insurance would have to call my insurance and both our premiums would go up. I'm not sure how the whole insurance thing works.. WHERE YOU AT OVERBOOSTER?!?!
Old 11-01-2005, 05:41 PM

Ouch! Thats something I did to my car when i was at the OC meet. Hope he has insurance cause thats gonna cost you some $$$$$
Old 11-01-2005, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by MzS2K,Nov 1 2005, 06:41 PM
Ouch! Thats something I did to my car when i was at the OC meet. Hope he has insurance cause thats gonna cost you some $$$$$
How much did it run you??
Old 11-01-2005, 05:48 PM

damn....
Old 11-01-2005, 05:50 PM

PM me..I'll tell you how much it cost me
Old 11-01-2005, 06:34 PM

sad times
Old 11-01-2005, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dst-s2,Nov 1 2005, 06:37 PM
he called them and they said that his insurance would have to call my insurance and both our premiums would go up. I'm not sure how the whole insurance thing works..
your insurance will NOT go up. premiums can go up if you have more than 51% at fault. you weren't in the car so that has nothing to do with you. I've had claims over the years...not my fault and no increases.

you do have to report to both companies because your insurance may take care of your bills 1st then ask your friends to pay up. also you may have to pay your deductible upfront but your ins. co. will ask your friends to pay too.

go get some estimates and get it done right.

good luck
Old 11-01-2005, 08:49 PM

Your friend's insurance should ultimately cover the full tab. (except his deductable, which he'll have to pay) Your premiums shouldn't increase since you're not at fault. (Other than handing him the keys) Explain to your insurance company that you verified that he had full coverage before letting him borrow the car, and that you only lent it to him because his wasn't available and he needed yours for transportation. (Don't say you were just letting him take a joy ride)

If there is any increase in premium for you, your friend should probably pay that as well. He'll still get off much cheaper than if he were to pay the whole damage, and you'll get your car fixed right in a quality shop. Don't try and pinch pennies by buying used parts and trying to do it yourself; do it right!

It's a shame your friend wasn't more careful with your car, but we all know how easily these cars can get away from you, especially if you're not used to rwd.

As long as your friend pays for EVERYTHING, cut him some slack. Otherwise... CASTRATION!!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:30 PM

I wasn't going to try and buy used parts for the S!! I want to help my friend out... but not that much to where i have used parts on my ride. But I did talk to him and he said that his mom would probably not want to go to the insurance co. just because of the fact that the whole insurance might go up and he will have an accident on his record. I did tell him it would be the cheapest route for him but he would have to tell me tomorrow what his mother wants to do. Thank you all for your input and advice.

Quick Reply: Real friends dont let their friends drive a s2