California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

real estate lawyer help needed....

Old 11-19-2008, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default real estate lawyer help needed....

Long story short.. I want to break my apt lease.. I still have about 4 months left..
but our apt doesn't provide a good living condition.. few examples....

1. Apt has termite problem. Apt manager hired exterminator 4 times but nothing was resolved.
2. Our HOT water was BURNING HOT for about 4 days .. it was well over 130degress...
3. I had a very noisy tenant who would bang the wall,scrim, and drunk at 3am all the times.. but they moved out..( is that a good reason?)
4. Drunk as* pukes all the time by the elevator.
5. our elevator is operating w/ expired permit and it will break down at least once a month..

can anyone help me? what should I do? any help is appreciated.. Thank you s2k members!
Old 11-19-2008, 10:48 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

yes.

don't pay the next month's rent and get out of there.

take pictures of the expired elevator license and evidence of the burning hot water and termites.

write a letter to owner to end the contract or face a lawsuit.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:49 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

well, i know you asked for lawyer, but i am not, but that's what i would do.

might not even need a lawyer.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:27 AM

a rundown apartment that bad probably will have mold too. Check for mold, if you have mold, threaten the owners to upgrade you to a better suite or cheaper rent or else you have a lawsuit.

when removing mold, everybody living in the area has to get up and leave for a few days as the mold is being clean, that causes the owners to lose way too much money so they usually pay you off or upgrade.

my buddy went from the first floor 2 room apartment to the 3rd floor 3 room with balcony for 100 less a month. However, mold is bad for you.

OR you can move out...
Old 11-19-2008, 11:32 AM

hmmm gotta search for the mold now.. ahhaha but i don't wanna lose my security depoist .... im going to write them a letter today .. I was hoping someone studying or in law field could help me... maybe give me a key point what to write and what not to write..
Old 11-19-2008, 11:53 AM

edit

I'm not an attorney but don't give the landlord a reason to sue you for unpaid rent. Instead, call the LA Housing Department and make a complaint about the unhealthful living conditions. they'll come out, inspect and then give the landlord a violation notice with a deadline to fix. If not, they'll get fined until they do. Those violation notices are not fun for any landlord.

there's something called constructive eviction if the landlord doesn't supply some basic necessities - shelter from elements, heat, running water, fucntional plumbing. It seems these basics are covered but if not, you have a case to break the lease but regardless, withholding rent is not a good idea.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:38 PM

the last thing i wanna do is sue / withhold the rent.. I just want to work things out with the landlord so I can get out of the lease.. eventhough they fix the problem I still wanna get out of there!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d4vid,Nov 19 2008, 01:38 PM
the last thing i wanna do is sue / withhold the rent.. I just want to work things out with the landlord so I can get out of the lease.. eventhough they fix the problem I still wanna get out of there!!!
Have you talked to him to see if he's willing to work something out with you? Do you know someone who can take over your lease?
Old 11-19-2008, 01:48 PM

hostile living conditions are a legal reason to break a lease. damn man...you need to watch more Judge Judy or something!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:08 PM

well we have a 6 empty units.. so i don't think i can find someone to take over my lease... im going to send him a letter tomorrow hope it works out...

Quick Reply: real estate lawyer help needed....