California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Questioning My Faith

Old 05-14-2007, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=i_heart_my_DB8,May 14 2007, 12:07 PM] Alejo.

While I agree with your sentiment, the bolded part is not necessarily true.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Nicotunes,May 14 2007, 02:03 PM
We are inherently bad?????? Quite Machiavellian of you, sir.
Start a new thread, we can discuss this if you want .

But yes, I do believe that people are inherently bad (sinful in nature.) You wanna see who can point out more examples of either side?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,May 14 2007, 02:11 PM

But yes, I do believe that people are inherently bad (sinful in nature.) You wanna see who can point out more examples of either side?

"I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way."
Old 05-14-2007, 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=Back-cracker,May 14 2007, 12:36 PM] Out of curiosity, if there is ONE JC, then why are there so many deriviatives of JC?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,May 14 2007, 02:01 PM

That's not true. I give God credit for a lot of the bad that has happened in my life as well. I don't automatically assume Good = God, and Bad = Satan. That's a very elementary way of looking at things. God has used tragedy and hardship to grow and strengthen me. Satan has used fortune and opportunity to distract me. I think one of the most important parts of being a Christian is realizing that we (as humans) cannot control everything we wish we could.

I'm actually choosing what I DO see. I'm also choosing how to interpret it.

[/i] to.
So you thank God for all the crap he does to you that makes you a better person and you curse Satan for all the fortunes in your life?

Yeah right
Old 05-14-2007, 01:16 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by klee1113,May 14 2007, 12:53 PM
A beautiful child close to me, six and the apple of her father's eye, believes that Thomas the Tank Engine really exists. She believes in Father Christmas, and when she grows up her ambition is to be a tooth fairy. She and her school-friends believe the solemn word of respected adults that tooth fairies and Father Christmas really exist. This little girl is of an age to believe whatever you tell her. If you tell her about witches changing princes into frogs she will believe you. If you tell her that bad children roast forever in hell she will have nightmares. I have just discovered that without her father's consent this sweet, trusting, gullible six-year-old is being sent, for weekly instruction, to a Roman Catholic nun. What chance has she?

A human child is shaped by evolution to soak up the culture of her people. Most obviously, she learns the essentials of their language in a matter of months. A large dictionary of words to speak, an encyclopedia of information to speak about, complicated syntactic and semantic rules to order the speaking, are all transferred from older brains into hers well before she reaches half her adult size. When you are pre-programmed to absorb useful information at a high rate, it is hard to shut out pernicious or damaging information at the same time. With so many mindbytes to be downloaded, so many mental codons to be replicated, it is no wonder that child brains are gullible, open to almost any suggestion, vulnerable to subversion, easy prey to Moonies, Scientologists and nuns. Like immune-deficient patients, children are wide open to mental infections that adults might brush off without effort.

my one true gripe about religion.
so what?

its true.

children's minds are easily shapeable. Nothing you can do about that at all. so what?

in any event, CS Lewis grew up Christian, became atheist when he was 18...and became Christian again after starting from the ground up.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,May 14 2007, 01:11 PM

You are absoultely spot on in my opinion Nate.
The world we live in is full of pain and suffering as a test for afterlife.
Don't get me wrong there are many beautiful things about it, but for the most part how we live our lives here is a test, and choices that determine what type of person an individual is. Flame me if you want but Satan truly is at ever corner and crossroad in your life, and because of what took place in the Garden this is our burden laid upon us.

I frequently ask myself, What if the fruit never was eaten. I think this world would be an entirely different place.

Mike, thank you for sharing, this is a real tough nut to crack, and you shared some pretty personal stuff there. Greatly appreciated.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528,May 14 2007, 01:16 PM
so what?

its true.

children's minds are easily shapeable. Nothing you can do about that at all. so what?

in any event, CS Lewis grew up Christian, became atheist when he was 18...and became Christian again after starting from the ground up.
They say that statistics prove (recently in TIME magazine) that children who accept JC at an early age, have a higher disposition to continue through life that way, and if fallen away from the flock as they get older, have a higher percentage of returning to Him.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=i_heart_my_DB8,May 14 2007, 02:11 PM] Start a new thread, we can discuss this if you want .

But yes, I do believe that people are inherently bad (sinful in nature.)
Old 05-14-2007, 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=thetz99,May 14 2007, 02:15 PM]So you thank God for all the crap he does to you that makes you a better person and you curse Satan for all the fortunes in your life?

Quick Reply: Questioning My Faith