California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Questioning My Faith

Old 05-14-2007, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alejo,May 14 2007, 11:35 AM
well, I would argue the 10 commandments are a great part of christianity that the institution wants the members to execute. not to mention all the countless teachings that show folks what to do and how to do it.
again to clarify alejo, the point of the 10 commandments and the rest of the mosaic law in the old testament is much like you would command a child. you tell your son, dont touch the oven, kiss your mom, say "thank you". the point to you is to raise a proper and decent child, who loves his parents and is kind to others and as well protect the child. so it doesnt just end there with those three examples.

so the 10 commandments and whatnot were given to the jews, gods chosen people, as outer signposts for them to live by so that they 1, love god, 2, love others, as i mentioned. unfortunately, because we are human, and imperfect, that just isnt enough. a lot of the mosaic laws have become distorted to their original design to show love to god, but instead to show our own pride, how good *I* am (and youre not). we very clearly see this throughout the old testament, and even today, humans havent changed. its no wonder why even those ppl in the name of christ still do evil and prideful things.

thats why we need jesus.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:59 AM

you are a very nice guy and a very good s2ki brother so you should worry about nothing.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by alejo,May 14 2007, 12:35 PM
well, I would argue the 10 commandments are a great part of christianity that the institution wants the members to execute. not to mention all the countless teachings that show folks what to do and how to do it.
Yes, the 10 commandments are handed down from God as... well.... as commandments .

But the difference is that while following the 10 commandments are actions... just following the 10 commandments won't make you a Christian. Heck, there are tons of people out there who don't murder, steal, adulter, etc. etc. But they're not Christians.

Basically, what it comes down to is: FAITH. Faith is what saves you as a Christian. NOT works. That's how Christianity is different. If you believe, you are saved through your faith, and that's it. But... once you believe, your actions will change as well. I guess it's kind of unclear from the other side, because (in theory) "good" Christians always do "good" actions. But the actions do not account for their salvation.

Oh, and Lance, I know you might feel silly for questioning your faith on this forum, but don't. God surrounds us with people for reasons, and in times of trouble or doubt, we're supposed to also turn to others... not just God. I've found that often times my faith is strengthened by seeing how God works in other people's lives. If you're not involved at the moment, I would strongly encourage you to find a way to serve at your church, or join a bible study .
Old 05-14-2007, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jyeung528,May 14 2007, 11:14 AM
you can always fall back on the reasons WHY you are Christian to begin with...do you have any reasons? For me:

1 - The mere creation and existence of this universe and the design of the laws of physics cannot be explained, (the concept of infinity is beyond human comprehension) what was going on 100 years before the big bang?. Therefore, there must be a Creator.

2 - I've had enough of my prayers answered for me to trust in Him with my life, and afterlife. Everything I have, I recognize as a blessing. I wouldn't want to live without having faith.
but why does it have to be a Christian god?
Old 05-14-2007, 12:14 PM

All I can say is wow. I will remember this thread for the rest of my life.

Each of you and God has worked right to my very soul with this thread.
I am truly blessed to have brothers and sisters like you all on this forum.

You have warmed my heart more than you will know.

God bless you truly.

PS- It's more than mind blowing to know you care enough to post.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,May 14 2007, 11:58 AM
Here's the question though: Is it a blind faith?

For me, it's not. I've seen God work in my life in ways too strongly to be merely coincidental. There have been examples in the past where I can look back and say without a doubt that God was working in my life. Having SEEN Him working in my life, I'm no longer blindly believing. Although I may not be able to see God, I have seen His actions.

Look back in your life. I'm sure you've seen God working for you over the past 20 or so years. God finds ways to show us His existence all the time... we just sometimes can't see it .

I question why you think it is not BLIND faith. You give God the credit for all that you consider GOOD while shuffling any BAD hijinks as Satan artifacts. Saying you have seen God's work in your life only says that you don't give God credit for all the happenings in the world.

The tsuanami a few years back is good example. It's a natural occurrance. Depending on your religious bent, you pick and choose how you interpret it. Was it a message? Did God have a bad day? Did Satan win a bet? Since indonesia is muslim oriented, did the christian god have a field day with those followers. etc etc.

So saying you're not SEEING whatever maybe just means that you chose not to see.

Faith precludes questions.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Kel

http://cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/Dawkins/v...f-the-mind.html
Old 05-14-2007, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by HunterEz,May 14 2007, 12:22 PM
cliffs notes please
Old 05-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of curiosity, if there is ONE JC, then why are there so many deriviatives of JC? Ie: Romans C, Christians, etc etc.

Why so certain "fathers" can have wives? and some can't

Why can certain JC believer confess to JC directly, and some confess to a "middle" man?

What about supported life being before JC?

Is JC from the womb of Mary?

or Is JC a miracle implanted in Mary?

I'm just playing devils advocate.

BC
Old 05-14-2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Back-cracker,May 14 2007, 12:36 PM

Is JC from the womb of Mary?

or Is JC a miracle implanted in Mary?
she was impregnated without consent!?!?!?!??! so she was r... ok i'll stop there.

Quick Reply: Questioning My Faith