California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Questioning My Faith

Old 05-14-2007, 11:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alejo,May 14 2007, 11:57 AM
You don't have to adhere to one religion or another to be upright and the best that you can be. All religions preach that you have to earn things with hard work.

Your good deeds and efforts will not go without reward if you chose to be less committed to an institution.
Alejo.

While I agree with your sentiment, the bolded part is not necessarily true. Most other religions are merit-based: If you do more good than bad, then you're good. Your goodness overcomes your inherent badness.

Christianity is the only religion that is not based on a measurement system. Actions are not needed, only faith. WE (humans) are inherently bad, but it's not on US to make up for that, as we never could. So it's the faith that's required in JC, who took the brunt of our badness so we wouldn't have to.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Former Moderator

the bolded statement is inherent in every religion, it may not use those words exactly but it does ask it's members to do things in order to achieve/earn other things
Old 05-14-2007, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,May 14 2007, 10:58 AM
Hmm.... interesting topic of discussion.

I think any Christian who has never had questions about their faith is probably not looking deep enough into their relationship with JC, or is a new believer (nothing wrong with that). But I suppose everyone has weak moments in their faith at one time or another.

As humans, our nature is to shun faith. We're fact based creatures, and egotistical ones at that. We need to know what or why or how ALL THE TIME... and if we can't see it, then it's not there. Disbelief is our default mode... but that's why they call it faith: Believing in something you cannot see.

Here's the question though: Is it a blind faith?

For me, it's not. I've seen God work in my life in ways too strongly to be merely coincidental. There have been examples in the past where I can look back and say without a doubt that God was working in my life. Having SEEN Him working in my life, I'm no longer blindly believing. Although I may not be able to see God, I have seen His actions.

Look back in your life. I'm sure you've seen God working for you over the past 20 or so years. God finds ways to show us His existence all the time... we just sometimes can't see it .

That was awesome.

To me, the amazing world around us is a constant sign of
our Creator...

Old 05-14-2007, 11:14 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

you can always fall back on the reasons WHY you are Christian to begin with...do you have any reasons? For me:

1 - The mere creation and existence of this universe and the design of the laws of physics cannot be explained, (the concept of infinity is beyond human comprehension) what was going on 100 years before the big bang?. Therefore, there must be a Creator.

2 - I've had enough of my prayers answered for me to trust in Him with my life, and afterlife. Everything I have, I recognize as a blessing. I wouldn't want to live without having faith.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by alejo,May 14 2007, 12:10 PM
the bolded statement is inherent in every religion, it may not use those words exactly but it does ask it's members to do things in order to achieve/earn other things
Well... only if you consider "believing in Christ" to be "doing something."

Christians are not saved by their actions, they're saved by their faith. I suppose if you consider faith an "action"... then we're just arguing over semantics .

All I'm saying is that in Christianity, it's not a checks and balances system. It's not based on how good you are/were. All it takes to be saved is to believe, and it's the only religion that doesn't necessarily require your good to outweigh your bad.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:20 AM

What if this christianity is all a show?
Worst case I keep telling myself that at least I led a life of moral uprightness and did the best I could to be the best person I can. And if it isn't I would hope that Christ would know me when "the time came", as I truly believe.

However, what if? Something in my head keeps asking this...don't know if it is Satan testing me...or my own natural curiosity.
Thanks for sharing something that's personal and potentially embarrassing with us.

I think many Christians struggle with their understanding of the Bible and what it means to be a Christian. Many question their own faith. I can't speak for all Christians, as this is a very general term (I know some who call themselves Christians who do not think it's important to read the Bible, go to church or even believe in Christ yet still call themselves Christians). What I do know is that my relationship with God is personal and relational. I've seen things that shouldn't have happened (i.e., miracles), seen how God has worked in my life, and 'interacted' with God in ways that are hard to describe, perhaps the best way to describe it would be conversations. Because of the personal nature of the interactions, I don't question whether or not God exists. I would suggest spending time praying, meditating and thinking/reading - for me the goal isn't to become more holy, but to know God better, much in the same way I get to know another person - by spending time with him or her.

Dunno if that helps...
Old 05-14-2007, 11:27 AM

just by having doubt about ur religion

that means you are not faithful

but it is okay .... question about your belief always make it better when you become sure about it...
Old 05-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,May 14 2007, 12:19 PM
Well... only if you consider "believing in Christ" to be "doing something."

Christians are not saved by their actions, they're saved by their faith. I suppose if you consider faith an "action"... then we're just arguing over semantics .

All I'm saying is that in Christianity, it's not a checks and balances system. It's not based on how good you are/were. All it takes to be saved is to believe, and it's the only religion that doesn't necessarily require your good to outweigh your bad.
well, I would argue the 10 commandments are a great part of christianity that the institution wants the members to execute. not to mention all the countless teachings that show folks what to do and how to do it.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,May 14 2007, 10:58 AM
For me, it's not. I've seen God work in my life in ways too strongly to be merely coincidental. There have been examples in the past where I can look back and say without a doubt that God was working in my life. Having SEEN Him working in my life, I'm no longer blindly believing. Although I may not be able to see God, I have seen His actions.
well said. im with you.

alejo, christianity is not about good works. im sorry you feel that its come across that way. its the belief that humans are not "good enough" to even be in the presence of god, no matter how hard we try. so that cant be the point of christianity. the belief is that JC (jesus christ, son of god, perfect from sin) died so that we (everyone) CAN be with god and by no other means. the actions of doing good as a christian is commanded by god to "love others", only second to loving god himself, as god loved us.

lance, questioning ones faith isnt a horrible thing. personally, im not really seeing it as a test of satan either. i think its just an indicator of your current relationship with god and would encourage you to spend some time in reflection and pray for god to further reveal himself in your life, as he does desire a personal relationship with you. i know this because i know he does with me, even when i dont at times.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:50 AM

I believe that if we were to stop, and take a good look around, we would be able to see, without a doubt, that there is a God. Here is an example of what i mean:

Remeber hurricane Katrina that hit New Orleans, what happened was through all the destruction, a miracle happened. As the hurricane blew through the Home Depot in the town center, it managed to take all the materials from inside and a house was built. All the windows perfectly aligned, all the doors bolted on, and all paint applied. Nothing less of perfection. With all the destruction that New Orleans suffered from Katrina, beauty in form of a house was born.

I personally do not believe this to be true. There cannot be order in disorder. There is no DECREASE ENTROPY without intervension. If a house were to come out of Katrina, there must be someone who built it.

Now, this brings me to the point of looking at this universe. It one were to study the complexity of the solar system, we would see that it MUST have been designed and created perfectly. If Earth is orbiting too close to the sun, it would be too hot for humans to survive, if it were too far, it would be too cold. Now, orbiting has everything to do with the mass of planets. If it were off, even by a small amount(in astronomical scale), then the whole solar system would not be able to stay together like it has for the past million years, nor would earth be able to orbit in the perfect elipse which provides tolerable temperatures/climate for humans to live. Like I said earlier, In natural order, we do not experience DECREASE ENTROPY, so the Big Bang thoery is put to shit. Just pondering in this simple though, we see there must be a creator.

Just like "I Heart my DB8" I have experienced God's action. I have seen him work in my life to the point where i would live knowing that he exists, without a doubt. Although sometimes, it does require more faith to push on because we all, one time in our life tend to lose sight of what we are striving for, which is seek after God's glory.

It is natural as man to question. If you question your faith, try reading up on apologetics. It might help your faith.

- Oiyshi (KH)

Quick Reply: Questioning My Faith