California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Questioning My Faith

Old 05-14-2007, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questioning My Faith

Background:
I accepted JC into my life when I was 10 years old and haven't left his side.
I attend a large church in a very wealthy community, and commit my time to service in many forms. Most of the Testaments I find valuable as life lessons whether they are real or not. I try to model my life actions after his teachings, including my wife and children.

What if this christianity is all a show?
Worst case I keep telling myself that at least I led a life of moral uprightness and did the best I could to be the best person I can. And if it isn't I would hope that Christ would know me when "the time came", as I truly believe.

However, what if? Something in my head keeps asking this...don't know if it is Satan testing me...or my own natural curiosity.

I probably shouldn't be sharing this here.

Any Christians out there have the same thing going on.....?
Old 05-14-2007, 10:52 AM

I don't get how Christians can be so sure they are right. What about all the other religions? Someone has to be wrong...

So it's no wonder that you have doubts. But I do know this, when the time comes that your life, or the life of a loved one, is in danger, god is usually the one people turn to/think about/hope for.

I guess it's easy to forget that when things are "going good".
Old 05-14-2007, 10:53 AM

the validity of religions is a gauranteed heated debate.

i personally think that what you're feeling and experiencing is completely normal.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vonHultgren,May 14 2007, 10:47 AM
Background:
I accepted JC into my life when I was 10 years old and haven't left his side.
I attend a large church in a very wealthy community, and commit my time to service in many forms. Most of the Testaments I find valuable as life lessons whether they are real or not. I try to model my life actions after his teachings, including my wife and children.

What if this christianity is all a show?
Worst case I keep telling myself that at least I led a life of moral uprightness and did the best I could to be the best person I can. And if it isn't I would hope that Christ would know me when "the time came", as I truly believe.

However, what if? Something in my head keeps asking this...don't know if it is Satan testing me...or my own natural curiosity.

I probably shouldn't be sharing this here.

Any Christians out there have the same thing going on.....?
thats a tough situation.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah I go through the same thing all the time.. one word. " Faith" I always doubt as well, but its believing what you don't see. I'm sure everyone has their own opinions on this subject though
Old 05-14-2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by minboost,May 14 2007, 10:52 AM
I don't get how Christians can be so sure they are right. What about all the other religions? Someone has to be wrong...

So it's no wonder that you have doubts. But I do know this, when the time comes that your life, or the life of a loved one, is in danger, god is usually the one people turn to/think about/hope for.

I guess it's easy to forget that when things are "going good".
Very good point. And thank you.
So then, could it be that we use religion as a moral compass (whatever religion) just to keep our society from de-evolving? Gosh now I'm even more at a loss for words.

As an add on, I praise God for all he does for me and my family whether they are good or bad times.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Former Moderator

You don't have to adhere to one religion or another to be upright and the best that you can be. All religions preach that you have to earn things with hard work.

Your good deeds and efforts will not go without reward if you chose to be less committed to an institution.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:58 AM

Hmm.... interesting topic of discussion.

I think any Christian who has never had questions about their faith is probably not looking deep enough into their relationship with JC, or is a new believer (nothing wrong with that). But I suppose everyone has weak moments in their faith at one time or another.

As humans, our nature is to shun faith. We're fact based creatures, and egotistical ones at that. We need to know what or why or how ALL THE TIME... and if we can't see it, then it's not there. Disbelief is our default mode... but that's why they call it faith: Believing in something you cannot see.

Here's the question though: Is it a blind faith?

For me, it's not. I've seen God work in my life in ways too strongly to be merely coincidental. There have been examples in the past where I can look back and say without a doubt that God was working in my life. Having SEEN Him working in my life, I'm no longer blindly believing. Although I may not be able to see God, I have seen His actions.

Look back in your life. I'm sure you've seen God working for you over the past 20 or so years. God finds ways to show us His existence all the time... we just sometimes can't see it .

Old 05-14-2007, 10:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by alejo,May 14 2007, 11:57 AM
You don't have to adhere to one religion or another to be upright and the best that you can be. All religions preach that you have to earn things with hard work.

Your good deeds and efforts will not go without reward if you chose to be less committed to an institution.
I couldn't have said it better
Old 05-14-2007, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8,May 14 2007, 10:58 AM
Hmm.... interesting topic of discussion.

I think any Christian who has never had questions about their faith is probably not looking deep enough into their relationship with JC, or is a new believer (nothing wrong with that). But I suppose everyone has weak moments in their faith at one time or another.

As humans, our nature is to shun faith. We're fact based creatures, and egotistical ones at that. We need to know what or why or how ALL THE TIME... and if we can't see it, then it's not there. Disbelief is our default mode... but that's why they call it faith: Believing in something you cannot see.

Here's the question though: Is it a blind faith?

For me, it's not. I've seen God work in my life in ways too strongly to be merely coincidental. There have been examples in the past where I can look back and say without a doubt that God was working in my life. Having SEEN Him working in my life, I'm no longer blindly believing. Although I may not be able to see God, I have seen His actions.

Look back in your life. I'm sure you've seen God working for you over the past 20 or so years. God finds ways to show us His existence all the time... we just sometimes can't see it .

Thanks you to all that have posted......I am for thinking any different.

Quick Reply: Questioning My Faith