California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Question to the Wheel gurus

Old 07-10-2008, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well im thinking about powdercoating em white.

and maybe spacers in the rear because i have the ASM over fenders.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:55 PM

screw the spacers then! get wider rims!

that'll look real good...
Old 07-10-2008, 11:12 PM

I'm not sure how much it would affect it, but I'm told it affects the speedo so it may be significant. But changing to a smaller wheel size would help for torque. Kinda like gears. I honestly have no credibility on this and just thought i would try add onto what was said and probably more important (weight).
Old 07-11-2008, 01:21 AM

gold or white rpf1s would look great on your car, but i really like the black w/red lips on your car too. it's different from other people's setups.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by kreestofur,Jul 11 2008, 01:21 AM
gold or white rpf1s would look great on your car, but i really like the black w/red lips on your car too. it's different from other people's setups.
seee...thats whats stopping me too

Old 07-11-2008, 08:08 AM

lighter 17's will be better because of mass rotation the brakes doesn't have to work as hard.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:13 AM

Cash performance too ... 18" tires cost more hahaha
Old 07-11-2008, 09:05 AM

Des- while I love the current look of your car, the smaller lighter weight wheels would be a benefit to you . You will notice a slight difference in performance, but nothing major.

If you do get them get the rears to match the overfenders (dont use spacers unless you have to, otherwise you take away from the purpose of having a wider fender = to fit wider wheels and tires ). Even if you buy them brand new RPF1's are not that expensive. I agree with the post above Gold would look better than white unless maybe you powder coat them white and go with a polishid lip (CP-R style) IMO that would be the best way to pull off white on a black car. downside is it will add a littel more weight to the wheel.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,Jul 10 2008, 10:19 PM
win win win honestly man.

I do want to point out this fact though which is sometimes forgotten.

Tires ARE HEAVY...... RIMS ARE LIGHT. My tires weigh more then lightweight rims. They are also further away from center so they affect performance more then the rim.

Lightweight tires really make a difference such as Yoke Advans. CE28n ftw

JMPO on the subject. I'm all about max tire width and least unsprung weight possible.

-Greg
Listen to Greg. There's a lot more to consider than just the wheel diameter. Tires make a HUGE difference.

Also, as was stated before, the further away from the center, the greater the affect of rotational mass. That means if the wheels are equal weight, and the tires are equal weight, it will still take more torque to turn the wheels at the same speed because the weight is being pushed further away from the center. In real-world applications the difference in torque may be too insignificant to notice, but that's the easiest way to explain it.

You just have to decide what meets your personal criteria. If you're looking for the lightest possible set-up then you can't beat light-weight 16s with narrow (not wider than stock) tires. That set-up will turn the fastest, but it won't be the grippiest thru the turns, and it DEFINITELY won't look the hottest. Just decide what's most important to you.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:50 AM

Unsprung weight, better tire choices, cheaper tires, less inertia, hmmm I know there's more but it escapes me right now.

Quick Reply: Question to the Wheel gurus