California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Question about fighting a ticket

Old 04-17-2011, 08:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about fighting a ticket

I was at a red light when an undercover cop rolled behind me. I looked in my mirror to make sure it was a cop and started thinking to myself not to mess up!

My mind blanked and i thought it was a stop sign! So i went.

The cop pulls me over and says, "why did you run the red light" I was like " what you talking about?" i didnt run a red light. (really believing i didnt lol) He then says looooook the light is still red lol, i was like oh damn! my bad. I stopped at the light but you guys freaked me out and my mind must have gone blank. Its not light i ran a red light on purpose.

So of course i got the ticket.

My question is....

What is the chance the judge will let me go if i say the cops rolled behind me real fast and freaked me out. (maybe even throw in that they put the spot light on me) lol to try and get away from the ticket. I wana kick myself because I STOPPED but blanked out honestly lol. NOT FAIR haha.

Also i requested a court date. Do i have to pay the ticket when its due or wait for the court date then see if i win or lose to pay?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-17-2011, 08:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

expensive ticket, my guess it $400. Traffic school? or maybe trial by declaration. any other tickets? insurance will F.Y.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear about your ticket, it happens to the best of us!
here is what happens next,
1. you go to the court date you signed up for
1a. You have the option to plea Not Guilty, or Guilty with option for traffic school if eligible
2. You plea not Guilty
2a. You are assigned a court date in which the "trial" will be held between you, the officer, and the judge.
2b. You must pay a bail that us usually higher then the ticket, you will only get it back if you are found not guilty
2c. You then go to "trial", if you loose the bail is kept and put towards the ticket, but if you are found guilty you will not have option for traffic school.
*Honestly, your excuse although reasonable will probably not fly.
3. You plea guilty and ask for traffic school
3a. You pay your ticket + $50 to be able to go to traffic school(lame)
3b. If you can do online traffic school and it can be done for less than $20ish and takes a max of 2hrs
*Pro tip* If your going for the guilty route, dress nicely and graciously ask the judge for break on the ticket. I got a very expensive speeding ticket about 2yrs ago... and it was my first and the judge gave me like a $30 break on the ticket which with 200% tax was quite worth asking.

I dont know if my outline makes sense.... but its the most logical way i can think of to explain the steps. also i dont intend for this to be legal advice, just how i would look at my options...
Old 04-18-2011, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate when i blank out! same thing happened to me when i saw a cop and thought about my speed and completely forgot about the loud music i was playing

That reminds me, gotta request an extension on that ticket...
Old 04-18-2011, 07:08 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,527 Likes on 1,909 Posts

If it was me I'd go to the court on the assigned date, dressed respectfully, plead guilty, explain what happened and ask for a reduced fine. I went to court in December and the judge was very cool and reduced many fines that day. The only ones he didn't reduce were for the lame kids who were doing 120 mph on the freeway.