California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Question about clear coat fading

Old 09-19-2013, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about clear coat fading

Could anyone with some paint and body work knowledge answer this?

On my other car, there is an isolated area about 10" in diameter that has the clear coat fading/chipping away. The paint under is ok but the clear is gone. I know it will spread unless I do something. It's weird because it's isolated to this area only the other places are fine. I just got the car too. Is there a way to do a cheap clear coat repair for this area? I'm hoping I can have someone re-clear it, blend and cut it and then polish it. And I would polish and wax the entire car, the previous owner didn't wax the car it appears..
Just curious if it's possible and roughly how much i would expect to pay for a blend/repair job of this size?
I dont want to paint the entire hatch.... that's too much money.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sure it can be done, but I don't expect it to be much cheaper than repainting the car since it would have a lot of the same labor costs.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by superstuddc27

On my other car, there is an isolated area about 10" in diameter that has the clear coat fading/chipping away. The paint under is ok but the clear is gone. I know it will spread unless I do something. It's weird because it's isolated to this area only the other places are fine. I just got the car too. Is there a way to do a cheap clear coat repair for this area? I'm hoping I can have someone re-clear it, blend and cut it and then polish it. And I would polish and wax the entire car, the previous owner didn't wax the car it appears..
Just curious if it's possible and roughly how much i would expect to pay for a blend/repair job of this size?
You cannot spot blend clear coat. You must re-clear the entire panel but its alot cheaper since its clear only.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by superstuddc27

Just do not wax it too soon after a repaint, the solvents are still trying to come out and will get trapped in. The reason it is only doing it in that area could be the answer to your question. Someone may have spot cleared it before, and this is the result. Like others said, clearing the whole panel is the correct way. Dupont and PPG used to make a clear blender that worked decently, but those are outlawed now. Also, it might not be that it was a spot repair but rather the clear failing all together, if thats the case you would be wasting money to blend anyway. How much were you looking to spend?