California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Possible scam?

Old 06-12-2004 | 01:36 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by oatnet
Old 06-12-2004 | 02:39 PM
20 Year Member

Originally posted by dreamcation
It did exist in the late 90's, my friend and I sent the nuke to one of his computers that was junk anyways just to see what would happen and before you knew it the computer shut down, followed by that disstinctive fried electrical smell. We tried restarting the computer but no such luck. Later that week my friend opened up the computer and found one of the capcitors burnt to a crisp just as the text info said it would do Who's William Gibson
Nope. Doesn't exist. Never Did. Not Possible. Uh-uh. Urban Myth. There is nothing out there that can interact with your hardware at that level - at best it can wipe your disk, _maybe_ wipe/scramble firmware on a specific motherboard or card but I haven't seen anything that does so. What you talk about would have to get to the power supply and increase output voltage. The PS doesn't have any smarts that could interface power regulation with the OS, and even if it was it would have to be different for each motherboard and power supply combo. I'll say it again - there is no worm/virus out there that is physically destructive to hardware.

Gotta warn you, you are playing in my back yard now... I have been a computer professional (geek) since 1985, with Top certifications in Cisco, Microsoft, Novell, LanMan, 3+ Open/3+ Share, etc etc. I have done intensive work and study in security. From '88 to '96 I was a consultant to Fortune 100 companies across the US and internationally billing 60-100 hours a week @ $150/hr (or at least, my company was). Then from '96 to '02 I went in-house to work less hours, and was running Server/Workstation Operations for the WestCoast Region for the largest corporation in the world. Since then I have transferred to a less stressful and time consuming position within the organization, but it is still my job to know quite specifically everything about the area security, worms, and viruses that you are discussing. I am intimately familiar with today's capabilities.

William Gibson is the Author who is considered the Father of cyberpunk, and the inventor of the "Ice" you refer to. In his Universe, the the internet is 3-d fully-interactive Virtual Reaity world. Ice is the security defense mechanism that doesn't have an analog in the real world. I assumed you were joking when you mentioned this nuke, which has an analog in Gibson's world. Now I see perhaps you were serious, and were referring to Black Ice the personal firewall.

Let me point out that Black Ice records all kinds of cool information - but it doesn't include email addresses. That means if you caught someone with your personal firewall software, you wouldn't have much of a way to email him this Nuke. You mention the late 90's and worm technology didn't exist yet to transfer it over the internet other than email or direct introduction to the system.

When you said instead the second time that your freind emailed it to another computer (!!?!?) perhaps it failed by coincidence, or perhaps your freind was playing a joke on you.

Sorry!
-JD