California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Phantom parking ticket?

Old 03-25-2010, 03:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Phantom parking ticket?

I just got a parking ticket in the mail that I don't have any recollection of getting. Says the original date was in September and that this is the 3rd notice they have sent... Now I'm almost certain that I did not illegally park... the address comes up as Bank of America in Eagle Rock so it makes no sense as to how I could get a ticket if I am in their private lot. I'm almost positive that they don't have metered parking and even more positive that I didn't get a ticket OR any notices prior to this one. I recently renewed my registration so this makes no sense at all.

How can I fight this? It's a $234 ticket and it's apparently about to head to collections. What stops parking enforcement from basically writing up and giving bullshit tickets to everyone?

I have been having really bad luck with my car lately, I'm basically going to end up paying $9k in fines from what started as a no front plate & lack of insurance slip ticket.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a ticket like that like 2 years ago. I called them up and explained to them that there's no way that I was there at day. They just dismissed it.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:32 PM

That's 9 Urasawa dinners!
Old 03-25-2010, 03:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjulius,Mar 25 2010, 03:32 PM
omg ..... I nearly cried just now laughing so hard.

Seriously, I have watery eyes.

As for the ticket, call the number on it and ask for details if any, I guess you could start there if nothing else.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:42 PM

trial by written declaration. best way to go. just take some pictures and send in the letter to the court. i've gotten a few dismissed such as no front plates by making up some random stories.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Monkeyboi,Mar 25 2010, 03:06 PM
I got a ticket like that like 2 years ago. I called them up and explained to them that there's no way that I was there at day. They just dismissed it.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by mrjulius,Mar 25 2010, 04:32 PM
I love you... like a brother.

---
In regards to the ticket, I'm failing to understand how not having proof of insurance led to $9k in fines. You're neglecting some details here. Were you insured, but just didn't have proof? If so, why don't you just show on your court date and provide it...
Old 03-25-2010, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ i'm guessing the 9k would have a story of the fine for no insurance, the car got impounded, the bill for the tow on the way to the impound, and depending where and how long impounded fees for that too? or possible case of didn't pay the fines, initialy on the no plate/insurance, so there were fines on top of that which would have led to a warrant, then another ticket for no plates, find that there's a warrant for him. that would lead to a whole round of new difficulties...

just a guess, sorry to throw out such BS guesses like that alex. i admire what you have done with your car. deff one of the most show quality cars i have seen.

my best advice would be to try and work with them on it. if you are willing to put in the time and manage to be respectful, (whether or not they deserve it), i am sure that they will work with you and prolly reduce some of the fines at least.

good luck, hope the car and you make it through tis ok.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by luder_5555,Mar 25 2010, 11:45 PM
^ i'm guessing the 9k would have a story of the fine for no insurance, the car got impounded, the bill for the tow on the way to the impound, and depending where and how long impounded fees for that too? or possible case of didn't pay the fines, initialy on the no plate/insurance, so there were fines on top of that which would have led to a warrant, then another ticket for no plates, find that there's a warrant for him. that would lead to a whole round of new difficulties...

just a guess, sorry to throw out such BS guesses like that alex. i admire what you have done with your car. deff one of the most show quality cars i have seen.

my best advice would be to try and work with them on it. if you are willing to put in the time and manage to be respectful, (whether or not they deserve it), i am sure that they will work with you and prolly reduce some of the fines at least.

good luck, hope the car and you make it through tis ok.
You are pretty close on your guess except there was never a warrant out since I always stayed in contact with the courts. There were also a couple times where I would show up at court, wait 3 hours in line, and then given an extension because they were too busy for me. That's the reason for the long delay. I pretty much forgot that I had scheduled two court dates (tickets from early 2009) for Late Jan. / Early Feb which is when I was in Japan on vacation. I found out that my license was suspended and *remembered* the tickets when I got pulled over in San Francisco for no front plate. My girlfriend drove the rest of the way there and back. The next day, I had no way of getting to class so I chanced it and of course... pulled over again for no front plate, car got impounded for 30 days. For some reason, I can also never find that little insurance slip when I'm pulled over...

Anyways, completely my fault, and I'm paying for it now. Little did I know, a failure to appear quintuples your fine. I'm also not sure why they write up insurance tickets when each time, the officer calls in and verifies that my car is insured, but it is what it is.

I'm still confused as hell about this parking ticket, but I'll call in tomorrow and see what it's about. Learned a huge lesson through all this... I just need to go to the DMV to get a new plate since I have no idea where my other one is. That also reminds me that it's been 8 months again and my vanity plate still isn't here...
Old 03-26-2010, 08:15 AM

hope everything works out for you.

Quick Reply: Phantom parking ticket?