California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

paint Q?

Old 05-03-2006, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default paint Q?

hey guys ive decided to take on painting my car myself...I was wondering if you guys can recommend a shop to me that sells paint for a reasonable price. thanks
Old 05-03-2006, 11:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Home Depot jk well i dont have no clue but goodluck!!
anyways
how you doing Elson.!
Old 05-03-2006, 11:27 PM

Ask Projekt, he's on these forums and he's doing a paint job of his own and it's looking pretty snazzy.
Old 05-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Banned

Old 05-04-2006, 06:51 AM

there is auto paint shop near cerritos college..

artesia blvd & gridley rd. tell'em your student @ cerritos college to get a discount.
Old 05-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Banned

There's a paint shop by my house, but they charge retail for PPG. I ordered mine through a body shop.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:24 PM

here are some pix of a couple of cars I painted

http://imagotrailers.com/paint.htm

I see you are in Ontario.

you have jackson paint in fontana, APS in fontana, and U sav more in san bernardino

there are other paints besides PPG that are just as good if not better, I don't know why people have such a hard on for PPG on this board.

I used PPG on my integra, it was nice, easy to shoot, but not like anything spectacular.

you also need a booth and a good gun, I've used Sata and Walcom (GEO) and some cheap brands for primers and solids.
the GEO is a fantastic gun (I own one) but super dificult to use, needs to be 100% clean, but it also uses less air and gives you a fantastic finish. Sata is one of my favorites also, easier to use (my opinion) but is an airhog, both will cost you about $550-600, then you have devillbiss, iwata, etc. also good guns but I don't have any experience with any of them.

remember painting is 90% prep, take your car apart, everything, even things you don't think you need to take off. I like to take off bumpers, lights, mouldings, wings, door handles (in this case the top), window moldings, and even glass in some cases.

I like to shoot a little extra clear so you can cut & buff the paint after. what color is your car???

good luck

Old 05-04-2006, 05:27 PM

on it's silver huh, ouch, tough color to shoot. if there is going to be any body work then I recomend shooting the car with a sealer first, something close to the color of the car, like gray. That will help with the tiger stripes, and try to fog on the paint, shoot 1st light, 2nd med, 3rd fog, 4th fog.

good luck
Old 05-09-2006, 12:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know a place that sells PPG/dupont, my painter buddy been getting supplies there for a long time.

just a friendly question, what kinda of gun and compression you are using?
Old 05-09-2006, 07:44 AM

Thanks Chairmanoftheboard for your input. Im going to paint my car the classic Championship White(NH0) since Ive always wanted to paint the car this color. Everything is coming off the car on friday and will be shooting it then. Still trying to get a good source for the paint but unfortunately work, and school gets in the way. I'll look into those shops you recommended. iam7head I dont know what gun & compressor I have at the house, but I know that it works good since my friend has used it on a couple of the cars he has used. Whats the place do you know that sells the paint? thanks

Quick Reply: paint Q?