California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

ok i need ya'll's opinion on something

Old 09-25-2007, 08:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Partshelper,Sep 25 2007, 07:27 AM
I say do the right thing, get the car out for the guy and have him cover the impound fees. The car is still legally yours, but I would feel wrong taking the car back and selling it or parting it out. Seems like those guys put alot of time into prepping the car and probably didnt want to register it till it was ready. That is their fault 100% but you should understand as a tuner yourself. I have had cars where I bought and transferred the title directly to someone else, cause I was flipping the car, and thought it to be pointless to have to pay double fees.

All in all do the right thing, do what you would want done to you. I am sure if you were in his position you would want the car back. I know I would.
well said i was posting as you were
Old 09-25-2007, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tough one. But you know the engine and trans are probably stolen on that thing.

TRYING to buy it back at auction would be nice. You wouldn't worry about "stolen good". But odds are you won't get it or pay an arm an a leg for it.

They can't transfer it in their name while it's in impound, so the call is in your court.

The car will sit there for 30 days no matter what, unless you press charges (GTA) on the guys that were driving it. If you do that you have to follow all the way though. can't just file charges and not show up to court.

I say offer to buy the car from them, or get it out for them and charge them for your time ($1000).

Good Luck
Old 09-25-2007, 08:58 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

it doesn't matter how much work you put in to find out the status of the car.

the car isn't yours. you even said the LAPD told you that they will transfer title as soon as it is out of impound...which means...the car isn't yours.

help the guy take it out...which will indirectly help yourself by preventing further fees...and have the guy pay you all the impound fees upfront.

then be on your way.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:23 AM

One thing I learned about selling cars is friend or not I always sign the "ROL." Yeah I said it but I also learned to make a copy of it !cuz DMV sucks donkey ass. I traded a car for a rare cylinder head (yup) and the guy never transferred it to his name then he sold it to someone else who never transferred it either. 2 years later I get a letter in the mail saying I got a car in the pound and I was like WTF??

DMV wanted to send my ass to collections because the impound guys were siying it was my car. I'm glad I had a copy and sent it to the poind and DMV TWICE!! yes twice! Second time I called them when I faxed it to make sure they got the fax...

If the dude wants his car back tell him to pay the fees. If he doesn't want to pay the fees and you want this car pay for it and do as you please. Even though the transfer is "in process" technically the car is yours until it goes through.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOHCmyDOHC,Sep 25 2007, 09:23 AM
One thing I learned about selling cars is friend or not I always sign the "ROL." Yeah I said it but I also learned to make a copy of it !cuz DMV sucks donkey ass. I traded a car for a rare cylinder head (yup) and the guy never transferred it to his name then he sold it to someone else who never transferred it either. 2 years later I get a letter in the mail saying I got a car in the pound and I was like WTF??

DMV wanted to send my ass to collections because the impound guys were siying it was my car. I'm glad I had a copy and sent it to the poind and DMV TWICE!! yes twice! Second time I called them when I faxed it to make sure they got the fax...

If the dude wants his car back tell him to pay the fees. If he doesn't want to pay the fees and you want this car pay for it and do as you please. Even though the transfer is "in process" technically the car is yours until it goes through.
Been there too.

Sold a car ended up in impound, I had to send them the ROL. Sold a car, guy never transfered it, sold it to someone else, never transfered it. Then I get a call the guy killed himself in my car.

ROL (release of liability) very important, always makes copies for yourself!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by chairmnofthboard,Sep 25 2007, 09:26 AM
Been there too.

Sold a car ended up in impound, I had to send them the ROL. Sold a car, guy never transfered it, sold it to someone else, never transfered it. Then I get a call the guy killed himself in my car.

ROL (release of liability) very important, always makes copies for yourself!
Whoa!!
Old 09-25-2007, 10:09 AM

just make them pay for the fees and some extra $ for your time, they did spend a lot of money and time building that car. but it is there fault for not doing the right things. and they shouldnt have been racing around out on the streets like that STUPID!!....but i think you should make them pay the fees and some extra cash for your time and all the BS that they made you go through just for there car

EDIT: