California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

ok i need ya'll's opinion on something

Old 09-24-2007, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pay the fees, sell the car. u get cash in hand plus u still have the car from the trade. all paperwork says u own both.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you would have filled out the release of liability it wouldnt even be an issue, ive had this happen to me a couple times. However, one thing to note, that even if you did fill out the release of liability or did not, this is true; If you ever sell a car, whether or not you fill out the release of liability, if the new owner doesnt register it in their name and you ever retake legal possession of the vehicle, you are responsible for everything that happened in between whether you were involved or not, i.e if they did a driveby, or did property damage etc, so be careful.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by klee1113,Sep 24 2007, 02:47 PM
pay the fees, sell the car. u get cash in hand plus u still have the car from the trade. all paperwork says u own both.
The only problem with that is if the guy did a driveby or hit/run in the meantime or anything that comes up later, the OP is going to be held responsible FOR SURE.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by S2PIDSTYLE,Sep 24 2007, 02:38 PM
i think you missed the part where I WOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE IMPOUND FEES. So he is still fuc#in me over on this deal!

I mean how do i show proof the car aint mine...i have nothing and they have a DMV computer that says its mine. Who they gonna believe
Bill of Sale? Release of liability? Notarized docs showing change of ownership? At least one of these should be done anytime you sell a vehicle even if to a friend. If you did not do either one then he is not scewing you over, you screwed yourself over . I'm not trying to be an @$$ but its the truth, if you knew he was shady in the first place you should have done things to protect yourself .

The DMV will charge it to you without one of the documents (or similiar document) listed above. If you dont have them, then you should get the car out and call the shady guy you sold/traded it to and ask him for the money it cost you to get it out or tell him you will sell it to pay for your out of pocket expenses

This way he pays you back and you get him to sign a bill of sale or release of liability, or you sell it and profit from this...

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2007, 03:09 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by S2PIDSTYLE,Sep 24 2007, 03:07 PM
Ok back in December i traded a 94 Del Sol S for a 92 Eagle Talon AWD Turbo. Now the guy i traded it to got a couple tickets and they came to me because he never registered the car in his name.

Let me preface this by saying the guy that i traded the car to in a shiesty MF'er that i have known for a while.

Now, i got a notice in the mail saturday that the Del Sol had been impouded on a 30 day hold. It was impounded on 9-18 and i have not received a phone call from him saying anything about this.

Heres were it gets hairy. I AM STILL THE REGISTERED OWNER. I am also the ONLY ONE that can get the car out of impound. Now if i just let it sit and dont get it out, I WILL BE RESPONSIBLE for the impound fees even after they sell the car. SO, is it an F'ed move on part to just go and get the car out and say forget him and just go about my business as if the car were mine.

Any input would be appreciated

Also if i do get it out, I will be selling it promptly....anyone interested??
When you sell a car, there is a white paper, called a RELEASE OF LIABILITY. It is up to you to hand it in to the DMV. Regardless if he Registered or not, you are not liable.

If you didn't fill this out and send it win w/ in 7 days, then you are in deep $%^&*.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:49 PM

ttt with an update
Old 09-24-2007, 08:01 PM

Why would you get it out for him. He has the money for all those mods, but not a impound fee? Make him front the cash. Good luck on your adventure.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:54 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

i don't see what all the fuss is about.

the car isn't yours.

if you get it out...it still isn't yours.

your dilemna is racking up daily impound fees that you're liable for.

so what you do is get the expenses paid in full by the new owner...get the car out...give the car to the rightful owner...fill out your release of liability...and be on your way.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This seems like an easy fix to me. I don't understand why you guys are making it all difficult.

1. Ask the dude who put in all that stuff if he wants the car and if he does, he has to pay all fee's associated with you getting it out.

2. If the guy says no, then get the car out and do whatever you want with it because you gave him the option to give it back to him then settle the paperwork and be done with it.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:31 PM
kix

Just tell him you want impound fees + $ for your time. If he says no, re-claim the car and sell it and give him a cut of the money.

I think this is the best way. Esp since you did TRADE the car and both you and the dude failed to do their part in filing the paperwork. Dont go by laws, rules, etc... bottom line is what you propose to do is still stealing.

Quick Reply: ok i need ya'll's opinion on something