California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Next EOQ Malibu drive... Sunday April 12

Old 04-14-2015, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by aprevo15' timestamp='1428969037' post='23576654
[quote name='Hoffmanbrah' timestamp='1428967914' post='23576600']
Awesome drive! Hopefully Ill make it out again next time!

Some footage of me trailing Gary... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPBi...ature=youtu.be
Nice video.

Which group was this?
If if he was behind Gary K, then it must have been Alan's group (group 1).

I don't know if maybe Alan got stuck behind some slower traffic that caused things to bunch up, but it sure looks like the following distances are significantly too tight in that group.

And what was up at 2:25 mark? GPW decided to use a turn-out on the opposite side of the road?
[/quote]

Was it the medium group or the balls out group?
Old 04-14-2015, 12:21 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by aprevo15
Originally Posted by RMurphy' timestamp='1428982073' post='23576837
[quote name='aprevo15' timestamp='1428969037' post='23576654']
[quote name='Hoffmanbrah' timestamp='1428967914' post='23576600']
Awesome drive! Hopefully Ill make it out again next time!

Some footage of me trailing Gary...
Nice video.

Which group was this?

I don't know if maybe Alan got stuck behind some slower traffic that caused things to bunch up, but it sure looks like the following distances are significantly too tight in that group.

And what was up at 2:25 mark? GPW decided to use a turn-out on the opposite side of the road?
[/quote]

Was it the medium group or the balls out group?
[/quote]

Yes.

We had to blend the groups some because I only had three lead drivers and more than 1/3 signed up opted for EZ. Wasn't a problem, but it was unusual. Medium is typically the largest group. Anyway, we bumped a few of the more experienced mediums to Alan's group and called it Medium/Balls mix.

I've watched the video again. I think the following distances are too tight in the event of a mishap. But maybe the video makes objects appear closer than they are. Either way, a little extra space is not a bad thing. You should see the guy ahead every so often, but with how tight these corners are, the car ahead should only be in sight briefly unless speeds are extra slow due to traffic (like a minivan or a Prius is out for a Sunday drive to church). If you are at the posted speed limit or higher and can actually see all of three cars ahead of you, then everyone is too close. It's not a racetrack.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:32 PM

So someone lost control and no one stopped to check on him. Not cool. The problem with a new group of people is they introduce many bad habits into the drive. It's not a track day it's not initial D. Drive to you comfort level nothing more and no stupid is not a comfort level.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:36 PM

It is also the duty of the tail driver to radio in once the group is clear and if such incidents like the one in the video occur. We have a system in place and it only works if we follow it.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by NaturalAspirations
It is also the duty of the tail driver to radio in once the group is clear and if such incidents like the one in the video occur. We have a system in place and it only works if we follow it.
Well now, Chris, in our videographer's defense, I must take responsibility for not having given much guidance on site as to the specifics of the role of the tail. I handed him a radio and I made some stupid assumptions. I should have taken a few minutes and gone over that better. How would he know?

That stated, I see in the video that he did look over his shoulder to see if the GPW guy was OK. I firmly believe he would have been on the radio if the car did not rejoin the group immediately or appeared to be in trouble. I think he got the gist of what was needed and would have been on the radio if needed.

Ideally, it should have been brought to my attention or the group leader's attention at lunch so I could have reminded people to leave more oh-shit room in the second half of the drive. We all need reminders.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by NaturalAspirations' timestamp='1429054594' post='23577983
Well now, Chris, in our videographer's defense, I must take responsibility for not having given much guidance on site as to the specifics of the role of the tail. I handed him a radio and I made some stupid assumptions. I should have taken a few minutes and gone over that better. How would he know?

That stated, I see in the video that he did look over his shoulder to see if the GPW guy was OK. I firmly believe he would have been on the radio if the car did not rejoin the group immediately or appeared to be in trouble. I think he got the gist of what was needed and would have been on the radio if needed.

Ideally, it should have been brought to my attention or the group leader's attention at lunch so I could have reminded people to leave more oh-shit room in the second half of the drive. We all need reminders.
I think you guys are completely right. The distance given seemed fine at the time but I did notice some of the drivers getting pretty close up ahead. Next time I will definitely give more breathing space and remind other drivers to do the same. This is my first time back out to Malibu in 2 years so I will apologize if I made anyone feel uneasy.

Yes, at the time I did'nt know why he pulled off to the side but he waved everyone by and fell into the rear so I assumed everything was alright.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn that pit stop near Stunt Road was insane. It was like 65F near PCH but as soon as you got to Stunt, it felt like 90F!!

The Snake pit stop was similar too. It felt very hot, but wasn't too bad as it was still somewhat in the morning.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:58 PM

That's from Latigo. I don't recall we had that much slower traffic until towards the end of the road (where the surface used to be very rough).
Actually, most of the time I couldn't even see the white CR behind me, so I don't really know that happened back there. But it seems to be a relaxing cruise from the video.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:34 AM

^^ I just need to be a little more clear as to exactly what is meant by "maintaining proper following distance," that's all. It's not that big of a deal. There would be no way for you to see what's going on 3 or more cars behind you, Alan, and that's how it should be.

I don't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill here.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pls organize another drive sooner than June

Opie pls respond

Pls forgive my desperate plea I know how much work it takes to organize one of these drives <3

Quick Reply: Next EOQ Malibu drive... Sunday April 12