California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

New Dyno shop is open!

Old 06-13-2002, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Dyno shop is open!

Hi Guys(and Gals)!

My name is Bart Grande and I just opened a chassis dyno shop in Oceanside(North San Diego County) named "GodSpeed Dyno Works". And I was out searching the web looking for SoCal car clubs and I stumbled on this S2000 site. If any of you are curious what HP and torque numbers you are making or have added any type of programmable engine management system to your car, drop me a line and see if I can be of service to you.

Below is a quick summary of what a chassis dyno is and some specifics on my dyno

to start there is 2 types of dynos.

the first is a inertia dyno, most dynos out there are these type(the most notable being DynoJet). you strap your car on the dyno, go through the gears at WOT and you will have a torque curve and HP numbers. this is the type you see used in magazines to compare products. these have been around a long time and have their limited uses.

the next type of dyno is the steady state dyno. this can do everything that the inertia dyno can do AND also load can be applied to the dyno drum to allow for steady state tuning....the difference between the various types of steady state dynos is how the load is applied to the drum. many apply the load manually via the operator turning a knob....ideally you want the computer to apply the load, this allows for more accuracy and repeatability.

so what is so special about MY dyno? before I answer that you have to think about what you are really trying to accomplish on a chassis dyno.......I see it as...you are attempting to simulate various driving conditions for YOUR vehicle while collecting data and measuring results............so what separates one vehicle from another? WEIGHT!! the inertia(weight of the drums) needs to match the weight of your vehicle, and that is the difficult part, all performance dynos out there have an equivalent inertia weight of approx 3000 lbs...so if you strap your car to one of these the load being placed on your drivetrain and motor is the equivalent of the load placed on a vehicle weighing 3000lbs. and since this is not the conditions your vehicle will encounter why tune in these conditions??......so I worked with Mustang Dynamometer to create a chassis dyno with variable inertia so I can ACCURATELY simulate inertia for a car that is as light as 1300lbs and up to the weight of a duallie. It also compensates for wind resistance so the faster you spin the drums the more load is applied, and this is vehicle specific. So the extra load being applied to the drum when an S2000 is on the dyno is going to be less than if there was a SUV.(drop me aline if you are curious how this works)

what test can we do? HP, Torque, WOT, acceleration, 1/4 mile(accurate to 2%), and about any other test you can think of! and accurately repeat these over and over.

what data? wide band O2, EGT, 5 gas, boost, manifold vacuum, head temp, oil temp, etc etc.......

The information acquired from the data acquisition system is awesome! Being able to replicate any driving condition and then reviewing all of the data is extremely informative!

Drop me a line at bart@teamgodspeed.com or check out the website at www.teamgodspeed.com. the website is still under construction, but it should give you an idea of the type of shop I am trying to put together. My goal as a business owner is to have the BEST dyno and the BEST service available!

... Also feel free to drop by the shop anytime. If a group of you want a tour of the shop, let me know and I will schedule an hour or so to discuss dynos with you and do a little "bench racing"!

Peace..............BartG
Old 06-13-2002, 05:31 PM

Sounds great. I am sure that you will find many interested owners here.
Old 06-22-2002, 07:45 PM

Well guys from first hand experience , this guy is pretty good . My car was at his shop all day getting tuned . He will tell you step by step what he's doing and what gains he's getting . If you ever in the area check them out , I promise you will leave there happy .
Old 06-24-2002, 06:42 PM

Thanks Greg!...... it was pleasure working with you also.....that is a really cool ride!......

Peace.........BartG
Old 06-26-2002, 09:33 AM

Hey Bart,

I might be getting a VAFC unit for my S2000 and I'm wondering if you have any experience or are able to tune the VAFC settings for my S2000 with your Dyno??
Old 06-26-2002, 02:14 PM

No problem on the VAFC......Fastlane had one in his car..

Peace..........BartG