California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Need some help... drywall... for Plasma...

Old 01-04-2005, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help... drywall... for Plasma...

So, if everything goes right, I should be Plasma shopping in the next week or so... exciting! (for me at least)...

But here's the thing. I want to mount this on my living room wall... centered, which can't be done at this moment..

Why? Well.. take a look at the picture below.

What I want to do is cover the area that is currently covered by the curtain you see there. However, not the whole thing... only the part of the hole above the tile of the fireplace... that way I can mount the plasma centered on the wall. Another benefit is that I will be able to hide the cables very well too. On the bottom Im putting custom shelving.

So what I need is someone that can cover that area in a way that looks like it was like that originally. AKA, looking GOOD.

Old 01-04-2005, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the purpose of that Nook anyway?

First you need to tear off the drywall that is already there above the Nook and both sides along the whole wall. Then you can get some 2x4's and build a frame to tie into the walls studs. Make sure that you also build a frame for the TV that is tied into the wall studs so that the weight of the TV is on the studs and not the drywall. This might require some cutting between studs depending on what's behind the wall and the depth of your TV.

After you have built the frame, get your dry wall, nails and wall paste
and get to work. You can create almost any shape you want.

I love home improvement!!
Old 01-04-2005, 04:21 PM

So you love home improvement? So what are you doing in the next week or so?
Old 01-04-2005, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably a tech day down here is SD if we can get one set up.

I'd like to help you, but right now my weekends are pretty tied up.

If you got the tools and supplies I can help to draft up the framing for the drywall. It's a little hard to determine the right side cause the picture and the curtain are hiding it.

After reading your request you will not have to build a frame for the TV because most likely it will mount infront of the existing wall and not be countersunk due to it's slim profile.

This makes........making the wall even easier.

1. remove the drywall from above and to the sides of the hole to the nearest stud.
2. attach horizontal crossbeam studs at the height you want the wall to extend down.
3. attach vertical studs to the crossbeam and the ceiling studs.
4. reinforce the horizontal with a diagnal or x brace. (use the 2x4's)
5. after completing the frame for the new wall. attach the drywall after cutting it flush to the existing wall. use the proper weight nails and make sure to counter sink them.
6. use drywall tape and tape the lines where the drywall meets eachother. Then fill the crease and nails with drywall paste. use a trowel to smooth it out.
7. let it dry then sand it down so it is smooth.
8. once it's sanded and smooth you should be grinning. Now you can paint that bad boy!!!!!!!!

Once your ready to mount the tv, you can puncher the wall behind it if necessary if you want to create a new outlet or run wires.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:39 PM

first decide what size tv you are getting so you can measure the frame size to dothis...I been doing this kind of stuff for years.....
Old 01-04-2005, 11:29 PM

well, that part doesn't matter... the wall mount is the same size no matter what. and I want it centered on the wall.. but if you must know... depending on the deal... in between a Pioneer 43" to a 50" something.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:25 AM

It's gonna look funny if it's not centered with the fireplace... IMO

Either the fire place will look outta place or the TV will. It's like hanging a picture above a fireplace. You wouldn't center it with the wall.

BTW: looks cozy in there.