California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Need some advice about a job offer..

Old 05-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Need some advice about a job offer..

Well, here is the thing. Currently, at my job.. I am feeling the normal thing that most people feel. Over worked, and underpaid.

So, I have been looking at my options out there. One of my buddies works for a franchise dist. For SNAP ON. He works about 6 hours a day.. Sometimes 4 sometimes 5 Days a week. With his current position, he brings in about 80K per year, after taxes.

That alone is more than what I make.. By quite a percentage. So, after some phone calls, and talking to some people I found out that his boss is willing to hire me. However, currently, their are no available routes

They offered me an assistants position. (Order entry for the divers, payment processing ETC...) This job is basically going to pay a little less then what I have now (very little difference) but, I will only have to work 4 hours a day. A few days a week. This job is not going to be hourly based, it is straight pay till I get my route.

The problem with that is, I have no idea (Nor does he) About when a route can be available. However, it does put me first in line for a route in front of anyone else. It could be 2 weeks. 4 months.. 1 year.. ETC..

Not sure what I should really do. What would you do in my position? I have asked my friends, and a couple of them say.. Don't do it, you have status at your current job and it will be hard to loose that. Then others are saying you cant go throughout life without risks. I am so confused! I would do this in a heartbeat if I didn't have a family to support.

What would you do if you were in my position?

Any thought or ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Banned

I would also like to add... That I have been thinking of what are the possibilities of a long term thing happening at both positions.

Basically, Ill put it to you this way. I work for a Japanese company. I don't really know the possibility of becoming something really worth something to them in the long run (IE: Business development ETC... ) . Sometimes, I feel valued, other times.. I feel like the Token Child.

Over here, you basically have to kiss the older Japanese peoples butts. Over there, you wont have too.

I think that the possibility of moving up in SNAP ON would be hard too. But, at least, you get paid what your output is.

HAPPYBRIAN, where are you? You know about the Japanese culture. What do you think? I am sure you know exactly what I am going through.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:00 AM

It sounds like the UPS driver situation (toyofan can elaborate)

Great driver jobs - yet you have to work as a lower level peon for *unknown* period of time
Old 05-29-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you currently work for an automobile manufacturer like American Honda or Toyota N. America?
If I was you I would take the the franchise Snap-On position and give it a year since the pay is around the same,less hours,and you get new skills/qualifications under your belt in case things don't work out to go back to your previous employer or similar.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:40 AM

You haven't informed how long you have worked for your current company but your chances of advancing to the top with a Japanese(or Asia based) company is very slim.

If you are willing to work as an assistant at snap on for 8-9 months(hopefully less), why don't you have a talk with your boss and tell him what you want? So that you can find what he can offer you.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by leester01,May 29 2008, 11:28 AM
Do you currently work for an automobile manufacturer like American Honda or Toyota N. America?
If I was you I would take the the franchise Snap-On position and give it a year since the pay is around the same,less hours,and you get new skills/qualifications under your belt in case things don't work out to go back to your previous employer or similar.
No, I do not. It is basically like a private owned company. That's what I mean by being a Token. I get the feeling at time that they will move someone ahead of me, if it is to their bienfait, like they speak Japanese, or know the culture better, You know what I mean?

That being said, If I were to leave this company. I am almost 99% confident that they will not allow me back. Because to them, it is an honor thing. I should feel honored that they are giving me more work (minus the pay) that means that they have confidence in my abilities. But, that's not how it works here. Money talks in the US. Over there (their mentality) They feel like I should feel honored to be working for them in the first place.. Regardless if I am getting paid crap.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:43 AM

Go to your current boss, tell them u got a job offer, if they ask where, don't mention the company to them. Ask for a raised, if you think you're worth something to them they will give you one, if they don't. LEAVE!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by problem_child,May 29 2008, 11:40 AM
You haven't informed how long you have worked for your current company but your chances of advancing to the top with a Japanese(or Asia based) company is very slim.

If you are willing to work as an assistant at snap on for 8-9 months(hopefully less), why don't you have a talk with your boss and tell him what you want? So that you can find what he can offer you.
I have worked at this company a little over 2 years.

If I were to tell my boss I was looking for another job, that alone will screw things for me for good

Old 05-29-2008, 11:46 AM

I realized this while back, there's no such thing as loyalty in corporate america.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Eryozgatliyan,May 29 2008, 12:42 PM
No, I do not. It is basically like a private owned company. That's what I mean by being a Token. I get the feeling at time that they will move someone ahead of me, if it is to their bienfait, like they speak Japanese, or know the culture better, You know what I mean?

That being said, If I were to leave this company. I am almost 99% confident that they will not allow me back. Because to them, it is an honor thing. I should feel honored that they are giving me more work (minus the pay) that means that they have confidence in my abilities. But, that's not how it works here. Money talks in the US. Over there (their mentality) They feel like I should feel honored to be working for them in the first place.. Regardless if I am getting paid crap.
I might make the move, since even though you are salaried, your hourly goes UP with less hours.........

Ever see Gung Ho??? Yes, lots of emphasis on company and pride. Not all Japanese companies pay little, but some do of course.........

Either way, I wish you the best!

Mike

Quick Reply: Need some advice about a job offer..