California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

National University?

Old 08-25-2005, 05:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default National University?

Hi,

I thought I'd post this and see what responses I get. So heres the deal. I'm 23 years old and work in IT as a infrastructure Engineer. I've been working in IT full time for about 3.5 years after going to a tech school to get certified and what have you.

I have been going to a local community college for about 1 year. My first thoughts would be the UCSD Tag program and do a computer science degree. I have been taking classes to full fill these requirements. Recently I have talked to many people and all say that a degree is a piece of paper and what really counts is certifications and experience. So with this being said, would I be better off finishing up my GE at a Community College and then doing a transfer to National University or a similar "quick" college which would get me done in a year and some change but might not be the best education out there.

I know that It be very difficult along with allot of pain and suffering working Full time and trying to get through the CS Program at UCSD or State. My goal is to make the most amount of money in the shortest amount of time. Please post your comments. They are appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to disagree with those people. A degree is more than just a piece of paper. Like you said, it's a lot of hard work. Employers know that, and in large part that's what they're looking for when they look for a degree. They want to know that when it counts, you can put in the work necessary to accomplish your goals. When you're young and have relatively little experience, this is the only real metric they have to judge your character by. It's true that not everybody will need a college degree to be successful, but they are generally the exception. The decision ultimately comes down to you and what you want to do. A degree will give you a better salary and more job options down the road, and it's a lot less pain and suffereing to do it now while you're young, single, and childless, than later. Imagine trying to finish college when you're married w/ 2.5 kids and a mortgage.

I've also known people who didn't go to or finish college and they are quite happy. And, in a couple cases, doing quite well.

Since you said that you want to make as much money as possible in as short of a time as possible, a degree can only help. It'll open up doors that aren't accessible without it. The only way to make solid money with out a degree is on your own by starting your own business and/or investing. You won't get rich being just an IT guy for some Big Company's network.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:40 PM

Thanks for your response. I might have been unclear. What I am questioning is if National University or a 4 year degree would be better for me. I am definitely getting my BS and then a Masters but am unsure of what school would be better. Should I spend the next 5-6 years struggling to get a CS degree from a 4 year university or go to National and be done in a year and a half. I do have a mortgage but no kids yet. Thanks again.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:42 PM

Why not talk to some HR people and some IT managers that do the hiring and see what they have to say? What are their opinions of National University? If they are looking at resumes do they give National equal weight with UC degrees?

But by all means get a degree of some sort. No matter how much experience you have there will always be people who will dismiss that experience if you don't have a degree. Without that line on your resume they won't even read the rest of it.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:59 PM

hah i go to national univeristy.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by elude,Aug 25 2005, 08:59 PM
hah i go to national univeristy.
Jon what is your opinion of it? Is it a good school?
Old 08-25-2005, 11:21 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Degree is a stepping stone.
You need to step forward.

Degree is not for all.
Bill Gates did it.
So did Madonna.

The question is: Are you a bill gates?
If you answer no: Go for the degree.

Only exception: You plan to open your own business. But in anycase, you'll need some school to teach you the economics and business skills.

BC
Old 08-26-2005, 08:13 AM

Schools are also about networking. Just look at all those that went to USC. For some the degree is a stepping stone, others it is a key. You need to figure out which it will be for you.

I would suggest find someone you would like to be like or several ppl and find out where they went school. Ask them is their schooling helped them out and if they had to change anything what would it be.

My .02, cause I have been looking at going back to school, it is much easier just to do it right the first time.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:16 AM

Thanks for your replies everyone. I have decided to go to take the time and go to SDSU and do a business degree in computers (IDS). My wife is starting another company and I want to be versed in the aspects of business to help her out.

Jeremy