California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

My New Family Member

Old 02-20-2010, 05:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6nmMwitnCI [/media]&feature=related
Old 02-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hand signals or is the dog reading body language or guessing the routine?

Is that a austrailan cattle dog? Ever see skidboot?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsQTdnOMvDU [/media]
Old 02-20-2010, 09:18 PM

Ya that's a cattle dog, you should see my g-pa with his cattle dog. It's amazing watching him work a entire herd EXACTLY where you want em.

That said....

A German Shepard is a cattle dog too, herding dogs are generally the best for work like this.

I've no doubts about Dallas' ability to do these kinds of commands, my concern is specifically for the DEFENSE drive. Even more specifically the BITE drive. Some dogs have it, and most don't.

Generally people THINK their dog will protect them from a threat, actually 99% of dog's simply won't act to protect their owner from physical harm. They A lack the ability to recognize the situation and B more importantly simply go into "flee" mode instead of getting aggressive. So to those who THINK their dog has their back in terms of a criminal attack, think again.

Thus why I've hopes to have a well trained protection dog, however I didn't hand pick this dog, so we'll just have to see what I ended up with and I'll make the most of her as able.

What was the place you were talking about in Yorba Linda?

-Greg
Old 02-20-2010, 09:37 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sirius K9

They train for everything. I have seen the full attack suits on site for the personal protection training.

http://www.siriusk9training.com/
Old 02-20-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,Feb 20 2010, 10:18 PM
I've no doubts about Dallas' ability to do these kinds of commands, my concern is specifically for the DEFENSE drive. Even more specifically the BITE drive. Some dogs have it, and most don't.

Generally people THINK their dog will protect them from a threat, actually 99% of dog's simply won't act to protect their owner from physical harm. They A lack the ability to recognize the situation and B more importantly simply go into "flee" mode instead of getting aggressive. So to those who THINK their dog has their back in terms of a criminal attack, think again.

Thus why I've hopes to have a well trained protection dog, however I didn't hand pick this dog, so we'll just have to see what I ended up with and I'll make the most of her as able.

What was the place you were talking about in Yorba Linda?

-Greg
Hey Greg

Very beautiful dog. BIG paws. She's gonna be pretty big.

But with your statement about protection. I couldn't agree w/you more.

A friend of mine has a blue nose male (trained pretty well, knows sit, down, roll over, play dead [my friend makes a gun with his hand and says "bang" and he falls over ]). The other night some 19yo kid who was running from the cops decided to hide in his shed and his dog went crazy. My friend thought it was just a raccoon but he wouldnt shut up. So my friend finally got up and checked around outside, saw all the cops and a helo buzzing around. Decides to open his shed and there he was, startled my friend. But the instant his dog saw this kid, he shut up and was friendly.

I figure it must be pretty difficult to train a dog to be protective because they'd have to figure who is a threat and who is not.

Hope to see her grown up pretty soon!

~Ahmad
Old 02-21-2010, 06:08 AM

[QUOTE=9kFever,Feb 20 2010, 11:37 PM] Sirius K9

They train for everything.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 3,528 Likes on 1,909 Posts

My German Shepherd, Kyras, was very protective, naturally. He was always by my side when I'd open the house door in Acton. He lunged for a guy's balls, once, as I opened the door. He wasn't going to bite the guy, but he sure as hell had the guy on edge. Another time, Kyras did scratch the skin on a guy who he felt was a threat to my kids. That time he lunged at the man's chest, tearing his flannel shirt, putting a hole in his undershirt, and making a red scratch on his chest. When I got Kyras, my kids were about 3 and 4 years-old. Kyras was brought up sleeping in the house and he went with us everywhere. I even sold my '87 Accord to get a '91 Accord wagon, so he could have his own space in the back to go places with us. I think that helped make him protective, because he felt like he really was part of the family. After Kyras, I had Whiskey, Vector and Rogue, all German Shepherds, but none of them ever acted protective like he did.

^Kyras, in the boat on Lake Havasu.

^Kyras in the snow at Kennedy Meadows.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:55 AM

^ Beautiful dog!

Herding dogs are still very much pack animals and protective. I'd assume this dog had bloodlines NOT from America. American sheppards are generally useless for working dogs (protection, shutzhund, etc.) as they lack drive and defense.

Sounds like Kyras was a great family member!