California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Moving to SoCal - need advise

Old 01-02-2003, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to SoCal - need advise

Hey I am hoping for any help that I can get with my future move to the SoCal area. Currently I live in Washington DC and my fiancee attends school at Penn State. Recently she accepted a position with a construction management company in Santa Monica which has me looking for a new job in the Los Angeles area.

Assuming that I find a construction management position of my own can anyone give me some advice on where to look for a place to live ( or places not to live.) It is just the two of us and our dog. I just turned 25 and we make an average living.

I have heard about the traffic but it can't be too much worse than Washington DC. I love to snowboard and want to learn how to surf so I would like to live somewhere convenient to both hobbies.

Thanks in advance for your help. Joshua
Old 01-02-2003, 11:46 AM

If she's working in Santa Monica, I'd suggest finding an apartment in West LA/Santa Monica cuz commuting from all points south, east or north to Santa Monica is an absolute nightmare. It's a young area too and there's lot of things to do. From there, you'll have access to the Malibu waves, where the water is slightly cleaner than Venice or Santa Monica. You'd be looking at $1,100+ for a 1-bedroom and $1,500+ for a 2-bedroom.

The thing about LA traffic is that it spans such a huge area, from the San Fernando Valley to the north to the San Gabriel Valley to the east, to South Bay and Orange County to the south, not to mention LA proper, gridlock is everywhere.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:52 AM

Well, if she works in Santa Monica, then live in Santa Monica. If you are looking for a descent apartment, I think you can find a 2-bed, 2-bath for around $1,200 - $1,400. One beds go for around $1,100 or so. Just depends on how nice and new of a place you are looking for.

Santa Monica is really nice tho. Close to all the hot spots (Bev. Hills, Hollywood, etc.) Also very close to the beach.

Oh, look into Marina Del Rey. A friend of mine works for the visitor center of playa vista and they are building some really nice town homes and condos there. They also have brand spankin new apartments. I think a 2 bed is like $1600 or so. Don't quote me. Marina Del Rey is like 10 minutes from Santa Monica. http://www.playavista.com/index1.asp

Just try not to live too far from where you work like I do. I drive 30 miles each way to my job. Sucks puttin so many miles on my S. Oh well.

Stu
Old 01-02-2003, 12:03 PM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree with the advice given. The prices in this area (West L.A.) are very high, but the area is nice. Try to stay in West L.A., Santa Monica, or the Marina. If you can afford it, you will be happy here. You can also find some deals, but it is very difficult, and competitive.

If this area is too pricey, I would try West Hollywood, or even Hollywood, before resorting to "The Valley," but be warned- pretty much everything in the L.A. area is high-priced!

Good luck to you, and let us know when you arrive, so we can get you out to some of our SoCal S2000 events.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:16 PM

Keep in mind guys,they also have a dog which could be a challange in the hunt for a place.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:44 PM

Hi Josh,
Try hunting in Culver city which is 5 mins fwy from Santa Monica where the 10 fwy and 405 fwy meets. Very convient with bargin housing. My 2nd choice will be West LA. 3rd with alittle travel (5miles East) You have LA or Korea town. But you will definately find a good place in Culver or WLA.

Good Luck, if you need further assistance. You may PM me.

DaRKCrow
Old 01-02-2003, 02:00 PM

Yes, the dog may pose some serious problems especially when you're looking for apt or condos.
It's so jammed in the West LA area- your best bet is to find something north of Santa Monica. (actually, if you have the dough, check out Brentwood.)

KT is right... no matter what direction from LA, you definitely will hit traffic. Living close to the mountains (for boarding) is not a good idea. You can only board 2 (3 mo. max) out of the year and the distance to LA is killer.

Many people live in the Inland Empire (909 area code) cuz the housing is new and fairly cheap. We're talking mid $200k to $500k. You can take the Metrolink into LA but that means us so caLi S2K freaks won't see you on the road.

Bahhh... live someplace where the drive into the city is 30 to 45 minutes. Carpool with your fiancee. Get Fastrak.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:00 PM

does FastTrack make it all the way out to the westside or does it end at downtown?
Old 01-02-2003, 03:06 PM

fastrak only runs on the 91, 15 (san diego area), 241, and the 73 (south orange county).

i think it also works on the bay bridges too.

so, nope- fastrak won't really help around the LA metro area.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:01 PM

Guys thanks a ton all your advise has been a big help so far. I have started to look at some classified ads for apartments to rent. Do you all think living in someone's guest house is a good deal?

Quick Reply: Moving to SoCal - need advise