California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Motorgen GMR Cruise February 20th!

Old 02-13-2010, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my wife and I ran it today and it was great. The time of day is perfect. We ran at the exact time we would be going through and had plenty of light. Traffic was light and I didn't see a single cop all day (we actually ran two routes as well).

The first section, Glendora Ridge Road (12 miles) had some water on it but was mostly nice. It is unmarked (all one lane basically) so I was basically keeping it right around 25 mph. It was still nice and curvy though and the scenery is beautiful.

Now, the second section is where we'll have to make a decision. I went both ways with this today. The original route has us taking a right at Glendora Moutain Road to the east loop and onto San Gabriel Canyon road. Going this way is longer, but the road is more mellow. Nice scenery though and it's a direct shot down to La Tolteca.

The alternative is to turn left and take Glendora Mountain Road all the way down. It's shorter, but I actually liked the drive better. The other downside besides being shorter is that it makes it a slightly longer drive to the restaurant. Nothing major, but it is longer.

When my wife and I got to La Tolteca I counted about 40 open spaces. We rolled in right around 5. Their was plenty of seating inside and I'm guessing next Saturday would be less busy (I figure some people were out for Valentine's Day tonight). The food was incredible as always

I've checked the weather for next week and it looks clear. If it was anything like today, it was just about perfect. So we're definitely on, but which route does everyone prefer?

All opinions welcome
Old 02-13-2010, 09:43 PM

anyone going?
Old 02-14-2010, 03:50 PM

Myself and several budies being local here run GMR religiously on sunday nights. They're are 3 ways you can go or come from. we say Front side which is basically coming up Glendora Mountain Road (GMR), backside which is coming from Azusa ave or east fork road, and then Baldy, which is for the IE people that come that direction. which way do you plan on going up and coming down??? im in aswell as maybe 4more
Old 02-15-2010, 07:41 PM

Bump, this is on Saturday. Here are some of the pics from the scouting run this weekend:

Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 PM

Been wanting to do the entire length of Baldy.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:57 PM

be careful because there are cops, just not when there are single cars. me and my brother went on a gmr run that someone started last june and we had about 50 cars go, 4 got busted (2 at the base, 1 at the top of the mountain and 1 on the backside) That and a lot of bikes also ride that.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:52 AM

Dosent look like im going to make it, I'll be on the longer cruise up Hwy 395.

Take the longer route, its worth it. Backside FTW! For the people that love to tear it up, if you dont know this road take it easy, it is very technical, think Decker Canyon off PCH.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by 4U2NVmyS2K,Feb 15 2010, 11:57 PM
be careful because there are cops, just not when there are single cars. me and my brother went on a gmr run that someone started last june and we had about 50 cars go, 4 got busted (2 at the base, 1 at the top of the mountain and 1 on the backside) That and a lot of bikes also ride that.
I ran it last weekend at the time of day we're going and saw 0 cops. I'm hoping that luck holds up.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:45 PM

Bump! It looks like a small change of rain in the morning, but I think we'll be fine. I'll be there rain or shine though - it's worth it just for La Tolteca
Old 02-19-2010, 08:31 PM

We're on tomorrow -weather and all. Anyone that wants to caravan up from the OC, I will be at the Target off of the 57fwy and Yorba Linda Blvd at about 1:45. I'm going to leave for Kohl's no later than 2:10. The address for Target is:

2920 Yorba Linda Blvd
Fullerton, CA 92831

I have about 70ish sets of directions. I typed them up myself and simplified things down as much as possible. It should be a great day. See you all tomorrow!

Sean

Quick Reply: Motorgen GMR Cruise February 20th!