California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Modified exhaust ticket

Old 05-30-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Modified exhaust ticket

So, this is the 4th time I've been pulled over for my exhaust, and I finally got a ticket for it.

Now.. I assumed that it was going to be a fix-it ticket, and I was planning on keeping the exhaust on until this happened; but the cop said that a modified exhaust ticket in California has never been a fix-it ticket, and is non-correctable.

When we first started talking, I told him that I understand it's way too loud-- he said "Oh, yeah that too... But the ticket is for having the exhaust on your car-- you're not allowed to change it from stock at all." He then continued to tell me that it will be a fine somewhere around $500...

Has anyone dealt with this before? Am I basically screwed, or is there anything I can do?

Violation is CVC27151(a) and he checked the NO box under correctable:
[QUOTE]27151.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He's dead wrong.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:03 PM

I've had it numerous times, you have any cop just sign it off and then you pay your $10 fine.

Now it's $25 bucks I think.

"not allowed to change exhaust at all LOLOLOLOLOL"

^ Moronic cops FTL. If he didn't use a decibel meter the judge will toss it out on the spot from the cases I've witnessed including mine a few times.

I suggest you write a letter to his sgt and mention that A. it IS a correctable violation and B. Modified exhaust is perfectly legal as long as it is quiet enough and includes CAT etc. What a dipshit.

-Greg
Old 05-30-2009, 01:13 PM

Aight, that's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. Thanks Greg
Oh, and am I going to get anything in the mail? Or do I just have to go in?
Old 05-30-2009, 01:19 PM

^ You need to see on the back of the ticket is a spot for a cop to sign off on.... have one do so before you go into court to show the judge it's taken care of, obviously before the date shown on the ticket. Unless you wish to extend because you didn't get a chance for a cop to sign off yet.

Make sure it's not a state ref though.... from the looks of it just a fix-it ticket.

N/P man
Old 05-30-2009, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2k,May 30 2009, 01:19 PM
^ You need to see on the back of the ticket is a spot for a cop to sign off on.... have one do so before you go into court to show the judge it's taken care of, obviously before the date shown on the ticket. Unless you wish to extend because you didn't get a chance for a cop to sign off yet.

Make sure it's not a state ref though.... from the looks of it just a fix-it ticket.

N/P man
Problem being, he checked the no box on correctable... Would a cop still sign off on it?
Old 05-30-2009, 02:06 PM

^ I would think so, it IS a correctable violation.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well my friend has gotten pulled over numerous times for exhaust, but one time when he got pulled over for exhaust (for the like the 5th time) the cop said it was a non correctable ticket because he had been pulled over for it many a times before.

just put your stock exhaust back on and get it signed off. even though they said it's not correctable he's just trying to scare you...
Old 05-30-2009, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's there new thing now...they're trying to fine people w/aftermarket exhausts. such bs.

i had the same exact thing happen...it was marked non-correctable. i said f' that!

the only difference now is that you have to appear in front of the judge to show proof of correction. the judge doesn't really care as long as you pay the stupid processing fee and had it corrected.

the girls at the front window won't accept the ticket even if it's signed off if the cop has marked it "non-correctable". stupid yes. retarded yes.

it's the same process as before, just takes longer and you have to sit through the night court or traffic court process.
Old 05-30-2009, 03:25 PM

^ Just another "fee" from California.

So we're one of the highest taxed and for sure the most "fees" are found here in every shape and form.

Thanks for voting (D).

Quick Reply: Modified exhaust ticket