California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Medical School

Old 11-14-2010, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a program where you can volunteer and see the life of a medical student, resident, fellow, faculty? If you are unsure of the life of medicine I would strongly recommend just a few hours out of your time now. It will influence your perspective on whether pursuing a career in medicine is for you. Its a long road and I have talked to many residents who wanted to be a Doctor, but after 4 yrs of medical school and another 3-4+ yrs in specialty were having second thoughts. Several hours of volunteering could save several years of your life. Good luck
Old 11-14-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by 4xfordbronc,Nov 14 2010, 01:21 AM
Is there a program where you can volunteer and see the life of a medical student, resident, fellow, faculty? If you are unsure of the life of medicine I would strongly recommend just a few hours out of your time now. It will influence your perspective on whether pursuing a career in medicine is for you. Its a long road and I have talked to many residents who wanted to be a Doctor, but after 4 yrs of medical school and another 3-4+ yrs in specialty were having second thoughts. Several hours of volunteering could save several years of your life. Good luck
I'm already working on it.I'm always trying to think ahead.

Thanks for the heads up anyways
Old 11-14-2010, 08:12 AM

I also wanted to mention how grateful I am to be part of this community.Every time I have questions,a member has an answer or positive comment.

Thanks BC, for asking me why and not just giving me the easy way out.

Special thanks to Apak for the overwhelming info.It was exactly what I was looking for.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mannyfresh,Nov 14 2010, 09:12 AM
I also wanted to mention how grateful I am to be part of this community.Every time I have questions,a member has an answer or positive comment.

Thanks BC, for asking me why and not just giving me the easy way out.

Special thanks to Apak for the overwhelming info.It was exactly what I was looking for.

I want to make sure you know what you are doing. APAK is a very good source for you to PM and ask questions. (Hint)

There are many fields that can meet your goals and outcome too. Explore, volunteer, head to a hospital, do your work.

Not only do you need "great" GPAs, but you need to be well-rounded.

Look into PA also. A little restrictive, not as "glorified", but very good money, less time. Nurses, NP, all qualifies under your #1-10, and much less student loans.

Do some research on the curve of Student Loans vs income projection, and see where you start to make real revenues.

Student loans are not fun. (Its an extra mortgage, by the time you are done with school.)

Otherwise, goodluck