California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Last Sunday of the Month Santa Monica Mtns run.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:49 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by stupkid
I don't think I'll make it to anymore gloomy weather runs
Looks like it's time to start saving up for driving schools
I can't hardly blame you for wanting to be careful. When we get roads like that, I tend to treat the drive as more of a cruise. And I definitely leave VSA on. And yeah, we've had a drive or two where we just said it was too slick or there was too much debris and we called it off after the first few roads. Chaz (Charlie in the white CR-Z) was definitely at one of those drives. We found ourselves dodging way too many rocks and dirt patches. Better to be safe and thought a wus than dead or injured.

Driving schools and track days are definitely well worth the money. Time on a skid pad is not only a great learning experience, but gobs of fun as well. But I'm preaching to the choir again. :-D

A very large, very empty, wet parking lot is a good place to practice too. Hard to find them with no light posts in the middle though.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:12 AM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe winter runs should be a little later in the day?
Old 12-19-2011, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
Maybe winter runs should be a little later in the day?
We do start later in the winter. We roll out at about 9:30am. In the summer we meet at 8 and roll at 8:30.

The road was still wet from the previous day's rain. We drove through the Snake later the same day (after lunch) heading the other way and we were all a bit more cautious because it was still damp-looking in the areas under the trees or around shaded corners that don't get sunlight.

It was just one of those things and starting later would not have changed the false sense of security we got from the sections that were fully dry when we came into the areas that were damp. Standing water is not so much an issue because we all see that in advance and adjust accordingly. It's the damp spots that sneak up on you because they are simply a slightly darker color and sometimes hidden by a shaddow .

The thing about starting later is traffic on the roads increases as you get later and that traffic includes Mom and Pop tourist. Earlier is actually safer for everyone.

And if we had been out later, we would have missed Jay Leno.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whew! glad nothing happened.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by stupkid' timestamp='1324281123' post='21247286
I don't think I'll make it to anymore gloomy weather runs
Looks like it's time to start saving up for driving schools
I can't hardly blame you for wanting to be careful. When we get roads like that, I tend to treat the drive as more of a cruise. And I definitely leave VSA on. And yeah, we've had a drive or two where we just said it was too slick or there was too much debris and we called it off after the first few roads. Chaz (Charlie in the white CR-Z) was definitely at one of those drives. We found ourselves dodging way too many rocks and dirt patches. Better to be safe and thought a wus than dead or injured.

Driving schools and track days are definitely well worth the money. Time on a skid pad is not only a great learning experience, but gobs of fun as well. But I'm preaching to the choir again. :-D

A very large, very empty, wet parking lot is a good place to practice too. Hard to find them with no light posts in the middle though.
Lol I have fun once in a while whenever it rains and my friend's parking lot is open.

Originally Posted by ladius
Originally Posted by stupkid' timestamp='1324273814' post='21247157
whew! glad nothing happened.
I know! Just a few more feet then you would've seen us in the obituaries
Old 12-22-2011, 08:39 PM

My first attempt at video editing. Footage from the November EOM drive up the Snake (Mulholland Highway from the Rock Store up to the overlook). Sound was rather muted and a little boring so I added some mood appropriate music.

http://youtu.be/QQyHAKgfV20
Old 01-17-2012, 09:44 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

sorry I missed this thread, I will definitely try to make it out to the next one!
Old 01-17-2012, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
sorry I missed this thread, I will definitely try to make it out to the next one!
new 2012 thread
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/920...#entry21297570
Old 01-17-2012, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey kev u ganna go??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2012, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Adilbert0
Hey kev u ganna go??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably but depends on the weather. Cause you know what happened the last time I went on this run hahaha

Quick Reply: Last Sunday of the Month Santa Monica Mtns run.