California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The other guy wasn't set up when we first went by.
We drove by him again after lunch.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:56 AM

Old 02-05-2013, 11:57 AM

http://fearrange.smugmug.com/Cars/EO...7855465_S8P7mt
Old 02-05-2013, 07:51 PM

Check out page five of the below link. One of the Photographers on Sunday caught a guy crashing on a motorcycle some time after we passed by. (We are on page one in case you are wondering)

http://www.flickr.co...6434982/?page=5
Old 02-05-2013, 08:04 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

^^ Yeah, at least one rider lays it down in the Snake every weekend. It's not that unusual. And with all the photographers and videographers up there, it is frequently caught on "film," so to speak. Check out rnickeymouse (yes, RNickeymouse) on YouTube for some amazing videos of crazy stuff that happens up there.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by G-Plan
Check out page five of the below link. One of the Photographers on Sunday caught a guy crashing on a motorcycle some time after we passed by. (We are on page one in case you are wondering)

http://www.flickr.co...6434982/?page=5
It happens quite often ( also without much injury) but this is the first time I see shoes flying off.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by mostdope818
Curious to know who in the group had vsa/trac. Control on? Or off?
My04 only has abs
I don't survey for that but I do know Chris in the NSX had VSA enabled because we were talking about it at the bottom of Tuna.

On the street, I leave VSA on. At the track or autocross, I turn it off. I harbor no misconceptions that VSA is going to save my butt and let me drive like a maniac. It won't. Rather, I use VSA as a bit of an early warning system that I'm screwing up and need to adjust accordingly. VSA can be used as an indicator that the road surface is slipperier than I realized, or that I'm overdriving a corner, or even if I actually need to give it a little *more* gas to transfer weight off of the front tires and onto the rears when I'm overloading the front. It's a useful tool which can help you become a smoother and better driver if you understand how it works and listen to what it's trying to tell you. And smoother is faster.

PS I know the Exige has VSA, but I don't know if the driver had it enabled or not. The light on the Exige's dash that alerts the driver if it has engaged is shaped like a miniature-Exige as seen from the rear with little squiggly lines coming off the tires.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by mostdope818' timestamp='1360280049' post='22322223
Curious to know who in the group had vsa/trac. Control on? Or off?
My04 only has abs
I don't survey for that but I do know Chris in the NSX had VSA enabled because we were talking about it at the bottom of Tuna.

On the street, I leave VSA on. At the track or autocross, I turn it off. I harbor no misconceptions that VSA is going to save my butt and let me drive like a maniac. It won't. Rather, I use VSA as a bit of an early warning system that I'm screwing up and need to adjust accordingly. VSA can be used as an indicator that the road surface is slipperier than I realized, or that I'm overdriving a corner, or even if I actually need to give it a little *more* gas to transfer weight off of the front tires and onto the rears when I'm overloading the front. It's a useful tool which can help you become a smoother and better driver if you understand how it works and listen to what it's trying to tell you. And smoother is faster.

PS I know the Exige has VSA, but I don't know if the driver had it enabled or not. The light on the Exige's dash that alerts the driver if it has engaged is shaped like a miniature-Exige as seen from the rear with little squiggly lines coming off the tires.
I was running VSA the entire time. However I only felt it engage a couple oftimes on Latigo when I overpowered the exit and the conditions were poor. I have to say the VSA is very abrupt on theS2000 and doesn’t allow you to really use it as a driver aid. It more juststops you at a certain level vs. helping you apply power to go faster.

Since I purchased the car in September and am still feelingit out I typically run with it on unless I want a hard launch. The positive sideis it tends to control the tail when it starts to get happy but I do feel likeit comes on too fast and sharp. However Idon’t really know if it is engaging at 70%, 80% or 90% of the cars recoverablelimits in a slide. I was waiting unit I geta chance to do a track day to find out. I would prefer not to have a mountainon the side of me when I discover the tipping point. (I would enjoy hearinganyone thoughts on how far past the VSA activation the cars limits are)

I agree with RMurphy that VSA is a good tool for helping youbecome a smoother driver if you prefer not to spill water from your cup while on delivery runs butwould also like to note that it can be dangerous. I was in an AMG E55 when thedriver came into a corner too hot and experienced massive under steer thatnearly totaled the car. Unfortunatelythe driver thought the VSA would help to defy the laws physics in a large fastmoving mass. Turns out it wasn't true.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:23 PM

I did a quick google and stumbled across this video. Doesn't answer any questions about at what point VSA kicks in, but it sure is entertaining. Read the info bit before watching so you know what it's about. He does a nice comparison, imo. And hella fun to watch too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24mH27_URPg

I know there is more info with specifics of VSA in the owner's manual, but that's in the car and I'm not in the car. :-D It kicks in when it detects a certain amount of difference in wheel spin and retards power to that wheel as needed or engages brakes, or ABS as needed in case of lockup. But that's as technical as I get on it all.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by mostdope818
But what if a driver can be just as smooth/fast or smoother/faster with out it at all..does that make him a better driver?...since the driveer has no assist at all (except abs.most cars have abs)
That makes him Ayrton Senna.

Quick Reply: Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.