California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 AM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Cargo
That was way too close!!
Yes it was. That rider really pissed me off. I went from like 45 to 20 in half a second and got real snug for an early apex there. SOB is just damn lucky I was already prepping for my classic Slow In approach to the corner.

I shudder to think what could have happened if there had been a bicyclist in my lane. There would have been nowhere to go, the motorcycle would be at fault, but the bicyclist would have taken the worst of it if there wasn't time enough to choose who to take out if an impact was inevitable.

Anyway, that's why I always have that dashcam running. And that's why I'm so emphatic when I tell people to leave oh sh!t room. Sometimes you really need it.

Originally Posted by Misha7869
^^ RMurphy, what dash cam is that? Did you wire it into your map lights?
Blackvue DR500. It's mounted on the windshield behind my rearview mirror. We ran the wire inside the header (it's just tucked in there), down the A pillar (the plastic panel is removable), and under the drivers side dash. I've got the Power Magic Pro box so I don't have to worry about the cig lighter usage. We tapped into an existing available power source in the fuse box. I say we because I just did the acrobatics of getting under the dash. Desii (Ahmad) and Natural Aspirations (Chris) basically told me how to do it all so I can't take much credit other than for being limber.

I also run another cam suction cup mounted to my wind deflector. It's a less expensive one that only runs 720p res but has dual lenses. One lens is always on my dash pointed at the speedo. The other lens is usually forward, but next run it will be pointing rearward. Ironically, it wasn't on during this one section of the drive. The suction cup slipped while at the overlook (heat, I guess). I noticed it had fallen as we were about to pull out, but I didn't feel like holding everyone up while messing with it. Should have taken the extra minute and done it anyway.

Originally Posted by arf
Thanks for the organized run, all! It was really fun and my first time out there. I think I was the only NFR AP2.
Yeah, we didn't tell you what happened to the last NFR that came out for our drive. ;-) Just kidding!
Old 07-29-2013, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
And THIS is why you stay away from the double yellow on blind corners.

WARNING: You can pretty clearly hear me yell the F word a few times and comment "effing morons" on the footage. Turn the volume down or off if you are at work. And yeah, the sound is crappy. Haven't had time to deal with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEkBN...ature=youtu.be
Well, Thanks GOD you were lucky enough. My luck turned its ASS on me at the same situation, unfortunately....

Leaving country until September but will join you people in two months. (Will fix my car by that time)
Thanks
Old 07-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Ldo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, good reaction. Glad everyone was ok.

Serious question though, had it been a different (reads fatal) outcome, can his family still sue you for speeding with your own evidence?

Shit like this is always in the back of my mind every time I go on these drives. You just can't prepare for idiots.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:52 AM

RMurphy - Thanks! After this weekend I will be getting one for sure!!

Martin - Hope everything goes well with the car and have fun on your vacation!
Old 07-29-2013, 11:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ldo

Serious question though, had it been a different (reads fatal) outcome, can his family still sue you for speeding with your own evidence?

Shit like this is always in the back of my mind every time I go on these drives. You just can't prepare for idiots.
I'm not sure if she was speeding too much... What's the speed limit on that road. Most of the speed limits on canyon roads are pretty generous.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Martin LA
Well, Thanks GOD you were lucky enough. My luck turned its ASS on me at the same situation, unfortunately....

Leaving country until September but will join you people in two months. (Will fix my car by that time)
Thanks
Yeah, that really sucked to see, but I'm glad damage was relatively minimal for you. Keep in mind your color is a particularly difficult one to match up so be VERY picky about who you have do the work on it. If you aren't, it can end up looking like crap. I know others on this forum have recently had work done on yellow cars and the results were good with the shops they chose, so maybe do a quick search here.

Originally Posted by Ldo

Well, anyone with a piece of paper can sue anyone, so in answer to your question, they could try. The thing is, regardless of my speed, he was across the double yellow in the oncoming lane for NO good reason at all (there were no bicyclists he was passing or debris he was avoiding) on a blind corner. Had the incident involved damage or even a fatality, the footage would still be to my benefit because it shows where I was and where he was and why I was not at fault.

I would by far rather have the cam than not. The truth is always best to have no matter how the chips fall. But you can be sure that if there had been an impact, the footage wouldn't be posted. I wouldn't be hiding it, but it wouldn't be out in the public domain either.

The GPS shows the speeds, but there is a lag time as it records/reports it. I figure the lag to be about 2-3 seconds. I had that thing down to under 25 pretty quickly. I am reasonably sure I know the speed limit on the majority of Latigo and at the point where I'm passing that motorcycle, I was well under it. Under normal circumstances, I also have my other cam running which has a precise record of my speeds because one of the lenses is mounted to point directly at the speedometer.

Think of it this way: if you are driving down the freeway on which the speed limit is 65, you are driving 75, and someone gets on the freeway going the wrong way and you head-on collide with them. You may have been speeding, but you have a reasonable expectation that a driver will keep his vehicle on the correct side of the road.

RMurphy - Thanks! After this weekend I will be getting one for sure!!
There are many options of dashcams out there in various price ranges. Definitely do your research before choosing which one is suitable for your needs. dashcamtalk.com is a good place to start, particularly the discussion forums there.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:41 PM

Very well coordinated! Showing up next month for sure! Can we turn this into first and last Sunday event?

Some pics from today...

And this is what happens to your rotors when you fly down Tuna Canyon... They turn blue
Fly? Yal drivee sloww as hell, that's due to excessive braking aka improper braking
Old 07-29-2013, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy

WARNING: You can pretty clearly hear me yell the F word a few times and comment "effing morons" on the footage. Turn the volume down or off if you are at work. And yeah, the sound is crappy. Haven't had time to deal with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEkBN...ature=youtu.be
Ur lucky u drive slow, had it been a fast driver, that retard biker be in his place lol
Old 07-29-2013, 04:44 PM

Paul has my respect!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by s2king818
Fly? Yal drivee sloww as hell, that's due to excessive braking aka improper braking
At least it's just his rotors that are blue.

Originally Posted by RMurphy' timestamp='1375081023' post='22692774
Ur lucky u drive slow, had it been a fast driver, that retard biker be in his place lol
Yeah... I'm so slow. Step *away* from the pipe, dude. Breathe a little fresh air. It will help.

Paul has my respect!
And well he should, but I'm wondering what exactly brought on this declaration of your admiration for the man at this particular moment?

Quick Reply: Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.