California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the other note, i was reading on yahoo and since THIS drive is on Malibu. Here you go

http://homes.yahoo.com/blogs/spaces/...173136058.html

Enjoy your hidden beaches.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:56 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by BlakeKleinCalabrese
I probably will be coming next month. What kind of radios are you guys using? I'm planning on buying a programmable UV5RA soon.
Well, I'm fond of these...

Just kidding. Most of us are using Motorola Talk-About line of radios. As my nicer set, I have these: http://www.adorama.com/MOTMR350R.html

They definitely work better than the less expensive Motorola ones. The less expensive ones have less range and sometimes they just don't seem to transmit or receive as reliably as the better ones. I was kidding about the pink color, but the yellow or other bright color ones are cool because it's easy to find if it slides down behind the seat or forward in the footwell or something.

I really need to get an earbud/headset with push to talk so I can hear the radio better over the road noise.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:09 PM
Ldo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a great time this morning, even though I only had enough time to do the first half of the drive. Big thanks to all those in charge.

BTW, not exactly sure how I ended up with the 1st (read FAST) group, and those guys hauled ass. Being a canyon noob, I huffed and puffed trying to keep up.

May I suggest breaking into Advanced, Intermediate & Newbie groups next time. I don't want to hold people up
Old 06-23-2013, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Ldo
I had a great time this morning, even though I only had enough time to do the first half of the drive. Big thanks to all those in charge.

BTW, not exactly sure how I ended up with the 1st (read FAST) group, and those guys hauled ass. Being a canyon noob, I huffed and puffed trying to keep up.

May I suggest breaking into Advanced, Intermediate & Newbie groups next time. I don't want to hold people up
We usually put newbies in one group. But, when there's a large number of cars and a lot of them are first-timers (like today), all we can do is just sort of randomly divide them into groups. There were no particular FAST group this morning.
One thing we forgot to mention was that you are free to switch position (within the group), just talk to the driver in front or behind at one of those stopping points.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:42 PM

Well, in most instances, we do "speed" sensitive groupings but we all agreed today we would be taking it relatively easy in all groups for a few reasons, so we didn't differentiate. Hmmm. Sorry about the issues keeping up. We can work on that.

ALWAYS drive your own pace no matter what. Never push harder than you are comfortable with. We set these drives up in such a way that we *can't* lose people unless they go driving off on purpose. Every group leader waits at each stop sign until all cars in the group are caught up before proceeding, and makes sure that everybody makes any turns onto other roads by slowing down significantly. And on the straights and less technical roads, we keep it at the speed limit. So basically, if you just drive your pace at your comfort level, you'll still always end up catching the group before any major direction changes happen. Never worry about holding people up. It's more important to be safe.

Don't hesitate to talk to your group leader (or any group leader) during the drive if you are having concerns about pace. We can switch up groupings, the order of cars in a group, or even adjust pace as needed.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:10 AM
Ldo

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Hmmm. Sorry about the issues keeping up. We can work on that.
It's just me needing more practice. Showing up to more of these drives will hopefully fix that.

I had fun from start to finish, and it was very well organized.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:44 AM

I had a great time. Pretty uneventful in a good way. Lol
Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cargo
I had a great time. Pretty uneventful in a good way. Lol
+1
Old 06-24-2013, 11:12 AM

The mysterious bottle

The never falling bottle is still here.

My before/after

A lot more from http://fearrange.smugmug.com/Cars/EO...0158649_8NGGRc
Old 06-24-2013, 12:09 PM

Great pics as always.

Quick Reply: Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.