California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"turn the wheels so the vehicle will roll away from the center of the road if the brakes fail."
So which direction to turn would make the car roll away from the centre of the road?
And at that situation at the overlook, the front end rolling to the side or to the open road will most likely stop or delay my car rolling?
I always think the front end of my car should hit the rock wall.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:08 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by human668
"turn the wheels so the vehicle will roll away from the center of the road if the brakes fail."
So which direction to turn would make the car roll away from the centre of the road?
And at that situation at the overlook, the front end rolling to the side or to the open road will most likely stop or delay my car rolling?
You and your silly British spelling. Center/centre. Potato/potato. See the illustration. It says no curb, point to the right.

Anyway, depending on where you are on the hill, one is futher or closer to the rock wall there. Where you were, it's narrower. So if you rolled with your tires pointed to the left, it's likely your front fender would hit the rock wall before the car entered the road way. (actually, you'd hit mostdope's car first, but that's another story). However, further back there is a bit more space and the wall is further from the road. If you point the wheels to the left, your tail end can end up in the lane before your wheels (or fender) would contact the wall and stop it.

You could do like what the Civic did (not pictured) and just drive up in the debris, then it wouldn't matter much which way you crank the wheel. LOL!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:55 PM

At this spot,

Yes, I usually point tyres to the right.

Up next to the rock wall, I still can't convince myself not to park closer and not to use the wall for stopping my car from rolling back.
In my mind, pointing front tyres toward the rock wall provide a higher chance to hit the car at the back but yes, the car would most likely stay out of the centre of the road leaving bicyclist unharmed. Or, is it the best to just follow the handbook no matter what so whatever happens, I can say "hey I follow the handbook. The rock wall is not a curb."
Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 PM

ooops. almost crossed the line.
i did feel like i crossed the yellow and white lines few/many times.

Originally Posted by MasonPardo
Just got my s2 I'm definitely in (the back... ) for the June run!
ill be right with ya
Old 05-28-2013, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by leeohhness
Yes, you did and it was captured but I decided to keep it off from internet.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by leeohhness' timestamp='1369803847' post='22572932
[quote name='human668' timestamp='1369728523' post='22570635']
Yes, you did and it was captured but I decided to keep it off from internet.
[/quote]

any chance i can get that/those picture/s?
Old 05-28-2013, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Also, very nice videos and the artfully edited Tuna one. Check the 1:23 mark, btw, for a set of skid marks that weren't there last month. I don't know who that was, but whoever it was surely must have gotten a good scare.

Andrew, you've definitely got the hands thing worked out. It's like your hands are glued in place. Nice! Much better than I do it. I catch myself still moving around way too much. But good glory you do change gears a lot! I don't know how you could get through some of those tight little corners going up the snake in such a high gear. I think you were still in third in several of them. You do know this thing revs to 8000, right?
Thanks for the review agian! And I had to use some of my art sense otherwise that video would've been life-less. =P

Yes I worked out on my hand shifting but I need to work on shiting to proper gears. Let's just say that I was babying my S, maybe not really, since I am going uphill at low rpm so probably putting more stress on the internals. I will work on using lower gears next time so I can use the 8000 rpm! I do tend to stay in a gear higher....
Old 05-28-2013, 09:42 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Up next to the rock wall, I still can't convince myself not to park closer and not to use the wall for stopping my car from rolling back.
In my mind, pointing front tyres toward the rock wall provide a higher chance to hit the car at the back but yes, the car would most likely stay out of the centre of the road leaving bicyclist unharmed. Or, is it the best to just follow the handbook no matter what so whatever happens, I can say "hey I follow the handbook. The rock wall is not a curb."
I think you have to make a balanced judgment call while keeping the rule of the road in mind. For instance, where you were where it's narrower and you have no passenger and a hard top (I'll explain the last part in a moment), then turning the wheels left would work fine. Further back, it's less narrow and you can pull further away from the road, but still be not snug to the wall. So if you turn to the left, your butt will end up in the road if you roll. If the dirt doesn't stop you, the car would continue into the middle of the road, but admittedly unlikely. But now we come to the comment about hard top. I don't like snugging particularly close to the wall for a couple of reasons: 1) pebbles bounce down that wall and fall into the car, and 2) the rock wall does constantly have debris flows and it would be just my luck that it chooses when I snug my car up to it (and disturbing it) that it decides to let go.

So you have to make a balanced choice with safety highest on the list. My biggest concern with our group is trying to make sure the cars don't roll (particularly into each other), or only roll a little if they do. So a hard crank to full lock in either direction will accomplish that.

leeohhness:
Crossing double yellow is bad (unless it's for avoiding debris or a bicycle, and then only very carefully). It's dangerous in multiple ways. And when you cross, you would be amazed how many bicyclists, motorcyclists, and other drivers will call in complaints and then LE shows up. And then...
Old 05-28-2013, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by human668' timestamp='1369799867' post='22572858
You and your silly British spelling. Center/centre. Potato/potato. See the illustration. It says no curb, point to the right.

Anyway, depending on where you are on the hill, one is futher or closer to the rock wall there. Where you were, it's narrower. So if you rolled with your tires pointed to the left, it's likely your front fender would hit the rock wall before the car entered the road way. (actually, you'd hit mostdope's car first, but that's another story). However, further back there is a bit more space and the wall is further from the road. If you point the wheels to the left, your tail end can end up in the lane before your wheels (or fender) would contact the wall and stop it.

You could do like what the Civic did (not pictured) and just drive up in the debris, then it wouldn't matter much which way you crank the wheel. LOL!
At this spot,

Yes, I usually point tyres to the right.

I think both of your assertions make sense. Either way, I don't think any of our cars will end up in the center because if a car rolls, you would probably end up hitting the car behind you anyway. And as long as we keep everyone's wheels turned same direction, the car behind will probably sufficient to hold the car in front. I can explain it next month. I tried couple of times to explain in writing but didn't work. I was not making any sense. We can debate this during lunch.

OR we can do what we do at the bottome of tuna. Find something to choke the wheels.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by leeohhness
any chance i can get that/those picture/s?
No, I didn't keep it. It was the shoot right before that one.
I don't get paid for taking these photo (I actually pay a monthly fee to host them) so whatever I don't upload, I don't keep. For customers, I do keep back up even for those shots I don't use.

Quick Reply: Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.