California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:37 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

You guys crack me up!

So, GREAT pictures. Thanks for posting them. Particularly loved the one of the "patient tail".

Also, very nice videos and the artfully edited Tuna one. Check the 1:23 mark, btw, for a set of skid marks that weren't there last month. I don't know who that was, but whoever it was surely must have gotten a good scare.

Andrew, you've definitely got the hands thing worked out. It's like your hands are glued in place. Nice! Much better than I do it. I catch myself still moving around way too much. But good glory you do change gears a lot! I don't know how you could get through some of those tight little corners going up the snake in such a high gear. I think you were still in third in several of them. You do know this thing revs to 8000, right?

It really was a nice drive and I'm glad everyone had a good time. It couldn't be done without the help and cooperation of everyone there. And special thanks to the brothers Campos, to Andrew, and of course Alan who all make it possible. And naturally Paul too when he's on the drives and for listening to me yammer-on about what should I change to make things better, blah, blah, blah.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:42 PM

PS Just my opinion, fwiw, but I am of the opinion that no one should drive Tuna aggressively alone. You know, if something bad happens, it's pretty remote, there is little or no cell reception, and it's possible that no one would find you for a very, very long time.

And I personally *never* drive it at night under any circumstances. It's just way way way too risky and the consequences of something going wrong are just... well, they could be deadly.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many more from here: http://fearrange.smugmug.com/Cars/EO...5266&k=FZNx72b
Old 05-28-2013, 03:35 AM

Great pics alan!!
Old 05-28-2013, 08:06 AM

Did the resident not-a-cop also flag down that Mercedes to administer his speech?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:41 AM

As always, beautiful pictures. Love the shot of the motorcycle guy. Looks so stern.

And the magazine cover for this month's edition of the EOM is a hoot as always.

Admittedly though, I think my favorite picture so far this month is this one:

Look how everyone has their wheel all cranked so that if they roll backwards, it will safely go toward the side of the road instead of into traffic? Nice!
Old 05-28-2013, 12:23 PM

And I have to say I'm really proud to be associated with all of you guys.

I was just watching some video of another Malibu group's drive and I have to say they really are scary. It's not the speed that bothers me. It's the complete disregard for the double yellow and for reasonable following distances. I was cringing at the following distances in their footage at Tuna Canyon. Just no room for reactions.

And with that variety of mix of cars, those drivers can't possibly know what the guy's car in front of them can (or can't) do. Like on our drives, everyone should seriously KNOW to give the Exige some extra breathing room because it weighs practically nothing, has what amounts to R-comp tires on it, and brakes that can stop a train. An S2000 tailgating that car is just asking for trouble. Hell, ANY car tailgating an Exige is asking for trouble (on multiple levels). So that's why I stress the importance of keeping people in sight but not riding them too closely.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my s2 I'm definitely in (the back... ) for the June run!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Admittedly though, I think my favorite picture so far this month is this one:

Look how everyone has their wheel all cranked so that if they roll backwards, it will safely go toward the side of the road instead of into traffic? Nice!
I think it's time for me to actually point it out. I notice this almost every single time that people turn their front wheels toward the wrong way. I didn't say anything because I tend to trust people and believe they would notice it eventually.
It's an up hill there so if the brake fails, the car rolls backward. Front wheels should be turned away from the side of the road. As the car roll back, the front end would hit the side instead of going to the centre of the road.
If you have any doubt, before you set the hand brake, let the car rolls and adjust the steering wheel accordingly that the car doesn't go to the centre of the road and make a mess.

She can do it right, you can too.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by human668
I think it's time for me to actually point it out. I notice this almost every single time that people turn their front wheels toward the wrong way. I didn't say anything because I tend to trust people and believe they would notice it eventually.
And I kept trusting you would notice you were doing it wrong.

While I have no doubt the Aventador woman has many talents, parking correctly on a hill where there is no curb is not one of them.

I hate to resort to quoting the CA DMV hand book, but... I'm gonna anyway.

The rules are different when there is a curb and when there isn't a curb. See below. *My* group did it correctly, Alan. Neener neener!

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/parking.htm

Parking On A Hill

When you park:
*On a sloping driveway, turn the wheels so the vehicle will not roll into the street if the brakes fail.

*Headed downhill, turn your front wheels into the curb or toward the side of the road. Set the parking brake.

*Headed uphill, turn your front wheels away from the curb and let your vehicle roll back a few inches. The wheel should gently touch the curb. Set the parking brake.

*Headed either uphill or downhill when there is no curb, turn the wheels so the vehicle will roll away from the center of the road if the brakes fail.

Always set your parking brake and leave the vehicle in gear or in the "park" position.

(there is no curb where we park so the wheel has to be turned toward the edge of the road. if there were a curb there, then yes you would point the wheel the other way)

EDIT: More than anything though, the single biggest reason to turn the wheel (and the reason why I tell people to turn it in the safety nazi speech) is that with it turned the car has a harder time rolling. Straight ahead, it will roll easily as the brakes cool. With it cranked to full lock in any direction, it means the car simply is less likely to overcome the resistance and roll at all. And, as many veterans of the drive know (and have laughed about), the cars *do* roll on that hill and at the bottom of Tuna as the brakes cool off.

So whether you choose right or left, just freaking turn the wheel.

But my way is the right way.

Quick Reply: Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.