California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:31 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Updates re the May drive:
** New meet up location

** SUMMER MEET UP TIME!!! 7:45am

** Please buy something from the Ralphs (water?) and keep your receipt

** Taking it easy (it's a holiday weekend)

** Call for volunteers to help lead/sweep

** Possible route change

New Meet Up Location:
Ralphs Store #731 in Malibu
23841 Malibu Rd, Malibu, CA 90265
This is at PCH and Webb Way in Malibu. Enter parking lot from either of those roads.
meet at the Northwest corner of the lot. This is the farthest point in the lot away from Webb Way.
As always NO revving, NO burnouts, NO sh!t. Act like you were born and raised in Irvine, you love the color beige, and all you wear are white cotton undies... ever! (Malibu superior court, civic center, etc is across the other side of PCH from Ralphs, so let's be on best behavior)

Summer Meet Up Time:
7:45am YES, 7:45am. Safety Nazi speech at 8:10 (don't miss that!). We start rolling at 8:20.
It's summer. We are in Malibu. It's a holiday weekend. Traffic gets exponentially heavier with every minute later we wait. And we will roll on time this month.

Please arrive on time, go buy something from the Ralphs (water?) and keep your receipt
If you do not buy something in the shopping center (coffee, water, yoga pants, a new house) then LE can ticket you for loitering. And anyway, you need some cold water for this drive to keep you hydrated.

Taking it easy (it's a holiday weekend)
It's Memorial Day Weekend. There will be more traffic out there. There will also be plenty of law enforcement out there "keeping the peace and protecting the public's health, safety and welfare." They don't like groups because groups frequently get into or cause accidents. This is a good weekend for us to just cruise a bit, have a little fun, but not go crazy. Consequently, we are going to split into groups and there will be a good 5 minutes between each group. I intend to lead the "slower" group. If you have never done this drive before, that's where you want to be.

Call For Volunteers to Help Lead/Sweep
We are short one lead this month so we need someone willing to step up and lead a third group if we have a large turn out. PLEASE contact me via PM in advance so I can go over what's involved in that. It's not that difficult, just stuff you might not have thought of if you've never lead a group drive before. We also need tails/sweepers. Also not difficult. PM me.

Possible Route Change
With the new meet up location, it's possible I'll change up the route a little. Same roads, but possibly different order. I'll print up new route sheets.

As always, if you have walkie-talkies, bring them. I bring a few of my own to share, but they aren't the best so please, as the saying goes, bring 'em if ya got 'em.

I'm working on a google-apps sign up sheet so I can get a headcount of how many to expect.

P.S. We are not a responsible organization. We aren't a car club. We don't have members. We just ask everyone to be cool, have fun, and...

don't be stupid.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:06 PM

Here's a map to the new meet up point:

http://goo.gl/maps/lQJxy
Old 05-21-2013, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy

Count me as a maybe! Given your new start point may I suggest Latigo as an uphill if you change the route. I don't know how that will work with everything else but I thought I would mention it.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by G-Plan
Originally Posted by RMurphy' timestamp='1369084002' post='22555446

Count me as a maybe! Given your new start point may I suggest Latigo as an uphill if you change the route. I don't know how that will work with everything else but I thought I would mention it.
I certainly considered that (believe me!), but I have difficulty working that in with the rest of the layout of the drive and location for lunch. And lunch is kind of a non-negotiable since people need sustenance, fluids, time to recover some place cool for a little while (especially when it's hot) and most importantly... POTTY breaks. LOL!

I'm always open to new lunch location suggestions. Requirements are:
  • ample free parking with safe and easy in/out for large group
  • no or very low speed bumps
  • multiple options for a variety of budgets and dietary requirements (burger joints don't work well for vegetarians and it seems like SoCal has a few high octane imbibing veggie lovers)
  • generally centrally located to Malibu and the canyons
  • air-conditioning

P.S. And this isn't directed at anyone in particular, just informational... In case anyone is wondering, it takes several hours to choose a safe route, map it on google and get the mileage for each section, then type up the route sheets such that they fit on half of an 8.5x11 sheet of paper with fonts and lay-out which are easily read at speed, and able to be taped to a dashboard. (oh, and don't forget the actual drive has to be scouted IRL before committing it for the group)

I'm not complaining, just saying that when you are mapping a route for groups of 10 or more, it's very different from taking off for a fun drive alone or with a couple of buds. It's a whole different way of looking at things which sometimes doesn't come easily to me.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Call For Volunteers to Help Lead/Sweep
We are short one lead this month so we need someone willing to step up and lead a third group if we have a large turn out. PLEASE contact me via PM in advance so I can go over what's involved in that. It's not that difficult, just stuff you might not have thought of if you've never lead a group drive before. We also need tails/sweepers. Also not difficult. PM me.
I am always open to volunteer. If you don't get enough volunteers, you can put me on tails or group 3 lead as needed!
Old 05-22-2013, 05:46 PM

might not make this one, might be traveling
Old 05-22-2013, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Silver5656
You are on youtube. 2:54 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U06YWK09Hs8
Old 05-22-2013, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by 08S2000
I am always open to volunteer. If you don't get enough volunteers, you can put me on tails or group 3 lead as needed!
Thank you! Having help really makes a huge difference in keeping things safe and fun for everybody.

If so, you shall be missed!

Originally Posted by human668
You are on youtube. 2:54 mark
Great. He is famous now. Well, there will be no living with him from now on.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:17 PM

i've always been famous, now i'm famous and on youtube...... again
Old 05-23-2013, 04:19 PM

i've always been famous, now i'm famous and on youtube...... again
Dude... don't confuse famous with INfamous.

Quick Reply: Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.