California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are my videos from the March EOM. They are rather long and not too interesting besides me driving topdown on Latigo and it started to rain. Enjoy and comment if any!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feJY5XNZ2lA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7GYl0s6yGg
Old 04-01-2013, 09:54 PM

and continued...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLDho6-cgac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gk7aVc5brk
Old 04-01-2013, 09:55 PM

continued again....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0ZIeXtG80g
Old 04-01-2013, 11:24 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Nice vids! Yeah, the rain on Latigo was a bummer. When we were gathering up on Kanan Dume Road, I took an extra few seconds to put my top up. All I could think of was, "What if it really starts raining and we're halfway down Latigo? There isn't a safe place to stop to put the top up, especially not for the lead car in the group." I could just picture it... I pull over and a stack of cars 12 deep lined up behind me pulls over too. So I decided I better handle it immediately instead.

At about 5:30 on your Latigo shot (EOM 01), could definitely hear the VSA kicking in. I so recognize that grindy noise. Excellent sound quality on those videos, by the way! I'm pretty sure that particular spot is where someone in the drive tagged the guardrail a few months ago.

Not sure if this will work for you, but in my car I've been actually adding a little throttle in order to transfer some weight to the rear and unload the front tires a bit in the areas where the car tended to kick in VSA in the grindy fashion. Has made a huge difference for me in the early portions at the bottom of the Snake. Or maybe I'm doing it completely wrong and just imagining it's better. I dunno. I make this stuff up as I go along.

Keeping it in the higher gears on wet roads was a good choice because you definitely limit danger for unintended wheel spin on throttle that way. In the dry though, I love a lower gear and I keep it in vtec more. It just sounds so exciting that way. Probably not any faster, but it sounds fun and I feel more involved.

Btw, was curious why you waved me by at Kanan on the drive down toward the Snake. I hope I wasn't crowding you.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:34 AM

Thanks for the review!

I will try the weight transfering. It makes sense to unload the fronts since the front tires already have biased weight distribution. I will try your method and see if it feels more neutral since the VSA kicked in to adjust my understeer.

Before the Snake, my plan was to let you go first so I can trail your line. That was the only reasson and not because I felt pressured. But I failed to keep up with you on Snake!!! Then on Piuma (EOM 4), I tried to trail your line. It was easier to see where your tires were on the wet road than dry road.

After all, it was a bit challenging due to the rain yet still fun.

And yes it's way more fun keeping the car in vtec!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:49 AM

It would have been fun playing out in the rain.
Pics and Vids look great.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:28 AM

Here are my two videos. Excuse the poor driving, it was my first time ever really taking the car out and I see many things I can improve upon (hand location being the huge one). Other than that, nothing too exciting, (although my gf wasn't too happy about the rain, hence the "Babushka" situation ). I also need to get some video editing software to break these up.

I look forward to next time so I can hopefully improve my driving skills a bit more.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_E5LGQVFq8[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msrzHIZOnQw[/media]
Old 04-02-2013, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Nice vids! Yeah, the rain on Latigo was a bummer. When we were gathering up on Kanan Dume Road, I took an extra few seconds to put my top up. All I could think of was, "What if it really starts raining and we're halfway down Latigo? There isn't a safe place to stop to put the top up, especially not for the lead car in the group." I could just picture it... I pull over and a stack of cars 12 deep lined up behind me pulls over too. So I decided I better handle it immediately instead.

At about 5:30 on your Latigo shot (EOM 01), could definitely hear the VSA kicking in. I so recognize that grindy noise. Excellent sound quality on those videos, by the way! I'm pretty sure that particular spot is where someone in the drive tagged the guardrail a few months ago.

Not sure if this will work for you, but in my car I've been actually adding a little throttle in order to transfer some weight to the rear and unload the front tires a bit in the areas where the car tended to kick in VSA in the grindy fashion. Has made a huge difference for me in the early portions at the bottom of the Snake. Or maybe I'm doing it completely wrong and just imagining it's better. I dunno. I make this stuff up as I go along.

Keeping it in the higher gears on wet roads was a good choice because you definitely limit danger for unintended wheel spin on throttle that way. In the dry though, I love a lower gear and I keep it in vtec more. It just sounds so exciting that way. Probably not any faster, but it sounds fun and I feel more involved.

Btw, was curious why you waved me by at Kanan on the drive down toward the Snake. I hope I wasn't crowding you.

LOL Alan, didnt know you took a pic of that, it was windy on that ledge, hard to....... control.

And rmurphy, i've been saying forever, more throttle!

And Paul, you missed out on a fun run. It was definitely much slower the 2nd half when it was heavy drizzle/rain, but so much fun drifting all those corners and powering out.

Oh and Ivan did catch up to us, in fact he was like 3 minutes behind us. He caught us right after you left
Old 04-02-2013, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by lleron
Here are my two videos. Excuse the poor driving, it was my first time ever really taking the car out and I see many things I can improve upon
LOL! I wanted to wave back to your GF as I watched the beginning. Loved your comment about smelling burning clutch at the top of Las Flores. Friction surface of the clutch and brake pads happen to be the same stuff, so they smell the same. Chances are you were smelling people workin' them brakes!

So laughing at when you guys were going through the glove box. Hey, look at those big eyes! Oh, look, clouds! Ah, and we are vertical again.

Your commentary trying to make the left at Kanan Dume is what I think every time I do it. "This sucks!" That's why we pull over to gather everybody up. That left is a major pain. Bigger group makes it that much more of a hassle, but we are patient and it all works out.

It's definitely more pleasant when we don't end up with rain. :-D

Originally Posted by Silver5656
LOL Alan, didnt know you took a pic of that, it was windy on that ledge, hard to....... control.

Oh and Ivan did catch up to us, in fact he was like 3 minutes behind us. He caught us right after you left
Dude, you just have to assume that Alan is snapping pictures of *everything*! So don't be picking your nose or nothin'.

I knew I saw some headlights behind me as I was getting ready to pull away, so I hoped that was Ivan back there. No way was I getting out into the mud to find out. And besides, I needed a nature break too, but I can't quite do the hide behind the umbrella routine.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:16 PM

MD818: I covered my eyes. Your following distances scare me. You get that close to another guy's a$$, you better buy him dinner first and kiss him after.

Oy!

Quick Reply: Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.