California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by 08S2000' timestamp='1361865265' post='22363985
As always, the EOM was a blast. I think it's all possible because we have great organizers. If you guys need any help, please let me know. I volunteered for the tail couple times before and I am willing to do so in the future too.
You offer and we'll take you up on it! We very much appreciate it!

I don't know that I can give much advice because you look like you have a pretty sound approach to what you are doing already. Here are my thoughts after watching the vids on my laptop (small screen, but at least bigger than my phone).

yep, you already know about the up shifting and down shifting thing. You were in third and even fourth a lot when a lower gear would have been way more appropriate on Latigo. You were out of the power band. On the other hand, Latigo being so bumpy, at times it's probably just safer to be out of vtec just in case, so maybe that's not such an awful thing after all. Fourth though? I don't think I ever hit fourth unless I'm suddenly behind a cop and want to be as quiet as possible and way low in the RPMs.

Love how you slowed the vids down for the exciting stuff, like when motorcycles were crossing or riding ON the yellow line. That rider on Latigo who was doing that ought to have been shot (not literally, but you know what I mean). Can't believe those yahoos do that. What if you had bicyclists you were giving room to there and you had to go a little wide (still on your side, but closer to the yellow)? That a$$hat would have been toast and even though it wouldn't have been your fault, fault don't mean squat when you've got a dead motorcyclist in your windshield. That just sucks no matter how you slice it.

You move your hands around on the wheel way, way, way too much. That was one instructor's biggest complaint about me too though. He kept yelling "HANDS!!" at me all the way around Laguna Seca until I got the freaking hint to stop moving my hands. LOL!! I'm way more cognizant of it now.

Your following distances look pretty reasonable. You might give a little more room if you don't know the driver you are following all that well, but you weren't crowding. You clearly paid attention to when stuff was happening in front of you and you reacted.

The drainage dips at the edges of the road at the insides of some of the tight corners on Decker/Mulholland were upsetting the car a bit. Probably want to give those a little wider berth. But I didn't see it make the car get loose, just beating up the suspension more than necessary.

Loved how you backed out of it when you came up on the cluster of bicyclists on Piuma. Good choice.

Third video didn't come up for me, but I think YouTube was having issues.
I really appreciate your review! Next time when I am out there, I will try to remember those advices. I missed on the drainages on decker/mulholland so I will review the video again after work.

Well... the purpose of the gopro was to have fun with it and post various videos but when I was editing the video, I found it very useful to review what I am doing right and wrong (Just like my other snowboarding videos).

And YES, ask me for help on anything for the great EOMs!!! I will try to attend every month!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Silver5656
What vid setup are you running and what are you using to edit? I've been meaning to get a gopro but shit knowing me i'd never upload them, let alone edit
I am using 1080p with medium angle view. All other dpi setting, you can only set the camera for wide angle view which I didn't like. And also shooting at 48 fps which is the highest fps for 1080p. This sort of allows for a smooth slow motion.

For the sound, I read a thread on this forum where this guy uses his smartphone to record sound. As you can see on the first video, I use my iphone voice memo and put my phone in the passenger side net. This records great sound in my opinion. With the softtop up, sound is good too but lots of noise is also recorded and it could get annoying.

Then I use windows movie maker for edits. I never used any other program so I don't know if it's a good or bad program. But it does the job and lets me save to whatever quality I want.

Hope this answers your question!
Old 02-27-2013, 02:14 PM

Old 02-27-2013, 05:09 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the fun morning. Black AP1with blue volks I had to bail prior to lunch, had to be at LAX by 1:30. Sorry I wasn't more talkative I received a ticket driving to the Von's. I definitely missed the best half of the drive.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:13 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ddess
Thanks for the fun morning. Black AP1with blue volks I had to bail prior to lunch, had to be at LAX by 1:30. Sorry I wasn't more talkative I received a ticket driving to the Von's. I definitely missed the best half of the drive.
Ouch, man! That sucks. Yeah, we really do mean it about sticking to the speed limit on the obvious areas like PCH, the straights on Mulholland and, if you came across it on the way in, Sunset too.

I feel for you on the ticket thing. Really do.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 PM

Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

ROFL!!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:03 PM

Human668.... You almost had me spit out my beer!!!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by ddess
Hey nice meeting you! Sorry about the ticket... Hope to see you next time!

btw, your car was very clean.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:59 PM

One more

Quick Reply: Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.