California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:51 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.

LATEST UPDATE:
Updates will get posted each month as to meet time and location. Those details will always be in this first post and all following pages are just discussion and pics and stuff.

Sunday, December 22, 2013
Meet at 8:45am, "driver's meeting" and route discussion at 9:10am, roll out at 9:20am

>>> NOTE: WINTER meet time currently in effect.
>>> NOTE: RALPHS MEET UP LOCATION

Ralphs Store #731 in Malibu
23841 Malibu Rd, Malibu, CA 90265
This is at PCH and Webb Way in Malibu. Best entrance (with least amount of speed bumps) is from Malibu Road at the rear of the building.
Meet at the Northwest corner of the lot. This is the farthest point in the lot away from Webb Way.
As always NO revving, NO burnouts, NO sh!t. Act like you were born and raised in Irvine, you love the color beige, and all you wear are white cotton undies... ever! (Malibu superior court, civic center, etc is across the other side of PCH from Ralphs, so let's be on best behavior)

Please arrive on time, go buy something from the Ralphs (water?) and keep your receipt

If you do not buy something in the shopping center (coffee, water, yoga pants, a new house) then LE can ticket you for loitering. And anyway, you need some cold water for this drive to keep you hydrated.

EOM Drive 2013 dates:

Jan 27 POSTPONED! FEB 3
Feb 24
Mar 31 (this is Easter Sunday)
Apr 28
May 26 (this is Memorial Day weekend)
Jun 30 CHANGED TO JUN 23!!!!
Jul 28
Aug 25
Sep 29 CHANGED TO SEP 22!!!!
Oct 27
Nov 24
Dec 29 rescheduled to December 22 due to holidays

Hi all. It's 2013 and time to announce the dates for the Santa Monica Mountains EOM run, a.k.a. Last Sunday of the Month Run.

This is a spirited drive in the morning on the last Sunday of the month every month, weather permitting, as kind of an End Of Month (EOM) ritual.

Who: Car lovers
What: Spirited drive with lunch in the middle
When: Last Sunday of the month every month, weather permitting. Starts in the morning (8am or 9am depending on the time of year), ends about 2pm-ish.
Where: Malibu, Ca -- Santa Monica Mountains
How: In your car
Why: Because it's fun

FAQ:
What should I bring?
It's always bring your own sunscreen, drinking water and a full tank of gas. If you have a passenger, make sure you have some Dramamine just in case your passenger is prone to motion sickness on winding roads! Got walkie-talkies? If you happen to have two-way radios (aka walkie-talkies) bring them along because we use those to keep larger groups together and in case of road hazzards.

What time do you meet?
See the "Latest Updates" section of this post for the exact meet time. It varies depending on time of year due to temperature, traffic, and daylight.

Can I skip the driver's meeting?
DO NOT SKIP THE DRIVER'S MEETING IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME OUT. I can't stress this enough. The Safety Nazi speech is there to let you know how we run this thing, help keep you out of trouble, tell you the best ways to deal with the occasional problem that comes up, keep you from getting lost, and to address questions. Do NOT miss it or you could wind up doing something that messes this drive up for the rest of us.

Where do you drive, will we stop for food, will there be bathrooms, what should I expect?
We meet up, socialize for about 20-30 minutes while we wait for everyone to arrive, have a quickie driver's meeting (aka Safety Nazi speech), then drive some cool roads that lead us up to the top of The Snake. We pit there for pics of cool cars, possible Leno sighting, and scenic views, then head to lunch via some more twisties (usually the Pavilions shopping Center near Point Dume at about 11:30; there is a Subway sandwich shop there, a pizza place, pastries shop, or you can bring something light to eat with you). After lunch we do an extended drive from the vicinity of Encinal Canyon through the Santa Monica mountains and ending eventually at PCH in Malibu at the bottom of one of THE coolest little driving roads known to man (or woman). Drive typically ends around 2pm-ish. Make potty breaks at the meet up point and at lunch. There are NO restrooms at the Snake or elsewhere along the drive.

How many people go?
Turn-out for the drives varies and can be anything from 5 cars to 30 depending on how the planets align.

Is it only S2000s? Can my friend bring his Camry wagon (it's really fast!)?
This is a non-denominational group of car lovers. It just so happens that the person who began organizing it owns an S2000, so frequently the majority of cars on the drive are S2000s. We welcome all cars, creeds, nationalities, etc. One of our smoothest drivers owns a CR-Z hybrid. That stated, it's important that you recognize certain cars simply weren't designed to handle to performance car standards and no matter how good of a driver you are, if you are in a Camry, then chances are you are going to have a problem. You won't be able to corner or brake well so I seriously suggest you re-think bringing the family cruiser unless you are fine with the idea of reading the route sheet yourself and arriving at the various points several minutes behind the rest of the group.

Can I keep up? Is my car up to this? Am I up to this?
This is a very spirited drive (not a cruise), but we keep it safe. No crossing the double yellow, be mindful we are sharing the roads with other cars, bicycles, motorcycles, joggers, and sometimes even the local wildlife, coming to complete and full stops at all stop signs and red lights, keeping top speed near the posted limit on the straightaways, and just generally not being stupid. Nobody wants to crash or get a ticket, but we do want to enjoy what the S2000 or any performance-minded car was designed to do best.

A word of caution: if you are habitually crossing the double yellow line or looking like you are struggling to keep it safe, someone in the group (probably the lead car driver or the organizer of the drive) will likely ask you to please adjust your driving (or your car) such that you stay within your lane during the drive. There are some risks not worth taking, and crossing double yellow, spinning out, or impacting stationary objects (or -- god help us -- other moving objects!) is NOT something we want to see on this drive.

What about Law Enforcement (LE)?
Yeah, they are out there. They are *always* out there. It's their job. Some months more than others and you just never know when. If you are running something that screams, "HEY I'm heavily modded and cops love to ticket me," then you might think twice about putting everyone else in this drive at risk by bringing your LE magnet out for the drive. Yes, tickets have been given to members of our group over the last three years we have been doing this drive. Generally speaking, the cops don't hassle us if we aren't doing anything stupid. But that's not always the case.

This may seem obvious, but the "organizers" of this drive assume NO responsibility for if people who go on this drive get tickets, crash, have a crappy time, get sunburned, don't like lunch, or experience a paper cut. Your car, your responsibility. We are happy to hand out free advice and tips on what to expect out there on the road, but each individual is responsible for his/her own vehicle and for keeping it safe and between the lines! We are not responsible if you screw up. We will, however, take all the credit for if you have a good time.

So if you are getting all sideways, endangering other motorists/cyclists or property, and generally driving like a douchebag, it's not our problem, BUT we will all hate you and some folks may not want to drive near you.

Updates will get posted each month as to meet time and location. Those details will always be in this first post and all following pages are just discussion and pics and stuff.

Happy New Year!

Details from last year:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/920...t__p__21297570
Old 01-13-2013, 05:04 PM

oh... and one more very important FAQ:

RMurphy, you implied there would be some changes for 2013, like maybe a different route or something. What gives?

Yes, I did indicate there would be some changes. And there are. I won't always be the one leading this drive. I'm thrilled to announce that Cargo and Human668 are joining me in running/organizing this drive and will be handling a lot of the leading during 2013. I can't always be there every month, but I really want this drive to continue and so does everyone else. And I know the regulars who are always there will help with keeping things running smoothly whenever called upon to do so.

As far as route change, probably not for a few months. Of course things change without notice sometimes (heck, fires and mudslides and all sorts of stuff happen all the time!), but unless we see the new store opening up at Trancas Market (where Hows used to be) is a cool stopping point for lunch with better food options or better parking, then chances are we will keep the current route as it stands. We shall see.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait for Jan 27!
Old 01-14-2013, 01:56 AM

the pizza place is now closed
Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 AM

Can't wait.
Sucks about the pizza.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:46 AM

one weekend you should drive to a s2k challenge to see us run and check out our cars... just an idea )

i'd join sunday but will be at buttonwillow that weekend

have fun
Old 01-14-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Living in the redline
one weekend you should drive to a s2k challenge to see us run and check out our cars... just an idea )
Cool! Probably wouldn't do that *instead* of the canyon drive, but possibly in addition to it on another weekend. Looks like there is one in Feb at SOW and one in May (an autocross?) at Fontana. Would likely organize that under another thread.

Posted via mobile. sorry about any typos. :-(
Old 01-14-2013, 11:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 01-14-2013, 11:25 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 01-14-2013, 02:23 PM

^^ So nice, he had to say it twice. ;-)

Quick Reply: Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2013 -- aka The EOM Drive.