California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2012.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:08 AM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

December info updated in first post. Next EOM is Dec 30.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who's that douche with his hand out the window in those pics......
Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll do my best to be there in December.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 AM

I hope the weather is nice on the 30th.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cargo
I hope the weather is nice on the 30th.

Me too. So you wanna lead this month? :-))
Old 12-17-2012, 02:15 PM

I would be happy to.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 PM

Coolness. Maybe the local constabulary will have made their quota already the day before hittin' the Eurotastic guys. ;-) (joking! maybe... a little. teehee!)

Which reminds me... I now have my blackbox dash cam. I've been testing it in my daily driver and I'm reasonably impressed with it considering how little I paid for it. In the S2000, I plan to set up the rearview camera on the area between the seats over my shoulder pointing forward. Hopefully that will pick up not only a second forward-facing view but also the speedometer.

Here's a link to the main cam's front view taken while on the freeway today. Yikes! (be sure to watch in HD) http://youtu.be/w8hnZswFbIA Yes, I remove the audio on purpose. You really don't want to hear me singing.

It does well on audio too. You can hear everything on the radio as well as my jacket shuffling and me clearing my throat near the end of the video. http://youtu.be/GX5MAvpp2SI
Old 12-20-2012, 12:15 PM

Hope to get out to the run this month. The FI got a Radar Detector for me. Gotta put it to the test now.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

RMurphy can you share you you got your camera? I've been thinking about getting one. If I'm free I might join you guys next Sunday. Been wanting to do one of these for a while now. Do you get harassed by the law enforcement? I just did a drive today down Topanga to PCH and back up Malibu to the 101 and didn't see one LE. It was nice and cool and traffic was light. A little drizzle when I started on Topanga from Ventura, but it's supposed to start raining anytime so that's not surprising.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by for_my_s2k
Hope to get out to the run this month. The FI got a Radar Detector for me. Gotta put it to the test now.
Nice.

Originally Posted by Vitt
RMurphy can you share you you got your camera? I've been thinking about getting one. If I'm free I might join you guys next Sunday. Been wanting to do one of these for a while now. Do you get harassed by the law enforcement?
One man's harassment is another man's inconvenience. I don't really know how to answer the question of if I get "harassed" by law enforcement. I will say this: I have seen enough just flat WRONG things happen which make me feel it is wise to take precautions and know exactly what my rights are and what the laws do and don't allow.

I initially came across the camera via an online review (techmoan.com) and then made the purchase through Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

For the next one I get, I think I would really rather have one that has built-in GPS which can overlay speed and location on the playback as well. For the money though, this was a pretty darn good deal. I think I paid $70 total. Oh, and while the picture displayed on Amazon shows a remote control with it, it did not actually come with one. I was okay with that though because the remote is not mentioned in the "what comes in the box" list and because I don't think I would use it much anyway. What I definitely wanted was the suction cup mount so I could try it in either of my cars first before determining where it would live long-term. Once I decide, then the more permanent mount it came with (which is smaller and less obvious) will get put into place. I do plan to have one device in each car.

I've also been playing with blackbox dashcam programs you can install on a cell phone. Seems to me a great use for a retired phone. I have been using one I like but I really need a proper windshield mount for it, and that is the more problematic part. Try finding a universal phone mount that is unobtrusive, allows full field of view through the camera, doesn't block the phone's power port, and has unobstructed line of sight for GPS signal. That's a challenge.

Quick Reply: Last Sunday of the month Santa Monica Mtns run 2012.